Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Password manager recommendations

Password manager recommendations

Ray Greene

I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
(Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
good.

Any suggestions?

--
Ray Greene

whome

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
> good.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Ray Greene

keepass. Not sure if it runs under linux though. freeware, one of the best
I have used.

cobs

Ray Greene wrote:
> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
> good.
>
> Any suggestions?

You might want to take a look at Password Safe.
http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

Originally from Counterpane, open source since 2002.

Password Safe runs under Windows, but the database format is used by a
few *nix clones, see: http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/#RelatedProjects

...I use it as I have an inherent distrust of browser based password
managers. I haven't tried running the Windows client from a usb stick
though - or any of the clones. YMMV.

jasen

On 2006-12-17, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
> good.
>
> Any suggestions?

thumbprint-secured memory stick with a text file.

Bye.
Jasen

Earl Grey

Ray Greene wrote:
> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
> good.
>
> Any suggestions?

Keypass for Windows
http://keepass.sourceforge.net/
KeypassX for Linux.
http://keepassx.sourceforge.net/
Set the USB key up with Truecrypt
http://www.truecrypt.org/
and a Suite of Portable Apps
http://portableapps.com/suite

-=rjh=-

Ray Greene wrote:
> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
> good.
>
> Any suggestions?

Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
file called passwords.doc on his PC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4585d82a$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:

> Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
>> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
>> good.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
> file called passwords.doc on his PC

Why, what happened--did he upgrade to a new version of Word and find he
couldn't open the old file any more?

Rob

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <4585d82a$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
>>> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
>>> good.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
>> file called passwords.doc on his PC

> Why, what happened--did he upgrade to a new version of Word and find he
> couldn't open the old file any more?

Or password the doc then forget that password?

--

Rob
http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/linux_links

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create
the universe." - Carl Sagan

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
>>> file called passwords.doc on his PC

>> Why, what happened--did he upgrade to a new version of Word and find he
>> couldn't open the old file any more?

> Or password the doc then forget that password?

Yes, that did occur to me. But I didn't think Microsoft password-protection
would be much of an obstacle.

Craig Shore

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:33:24 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
> good.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've got an old one I use for Windows, but it's no good for Linux. It
requires no install so it's fine off a USB stick.