Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > BadVista.org

BadVista.org

Aquilegia Alyssum

http://badvista.fsf.org/

Interesting!

Aquilegia Alyssum

--
"The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its

El Chippy

"Aquilegia Alyssum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) sum...
> http://badvista.fsf.org/
>
> Interesting!

Please please please stop... you are making all linux users look like
morons. Bashing the competitors product is very bad form. promote your own,
but not in the annoying manor you seem to excel at.

My mental image of you is of a very pale faced weedy little geek in a suit
with a mountain bike about to have a door slammed in his face while a copy
of LinuxLover Monthly (think watchtower) gets biffed into the nearest
bin/fireplace.

Phil

Aquilegia Alyssum wrote, On 16/12/06 6.34 p:
> http://badvista.fsf.org/
>
> Interesting!

That press release sounds too much like an april-fools joke to me.

-Phil

Miguel

'Ello Chippy

Although I'd normally agree with your "stop forcing your views down my
throat" post, I can't help but silently encourage AA in his/her
continued pro Open Source quest.

Your "despondent mormons in suits on mountain bikes repeatedly having
the door slammed in their face by the non-believers" analogy is more
and more how I feel when I'm dealing with the couple of dozen computers
I *voluntarily* look after for friends, family and neighbours.

No matter what I say I'm always called in to recover systems which need
not have gone down in the first place. The problem is ALWAYS security
based.

I'm sick of doing the same thing (update and run spybot and ad-aware,
check msconfig, run Hi-Jack This etc etc) and have just got to the
stage of booting with Knoppix Live CD, saving everything to a USB drive
and then reinstalling from an image. One hour tops.

I've used and supported MS from Dos 3.3 through to XP but I'm now
telling my friends, family and neighbours that if they buy a new
computer and it runs Vista then don't come to me for advice cos I can't
be bothered learning my way around a new operating system that I know
I'll never use, especially when there are so many open source
alternatives which will do the job just as well.

> My mental image of you is of a very pale faced weedy little geek in a suit
> with a mountain bike

For the record, fat, forty-ish and sunburnt. Not a pretty sight at all

Regards
Miguel

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <45838816$(E-Mail Removed)>, El Chippy wrote:

> Please please please stop... you are making all linux users look like
> morons. Bashing the competitors product is very bad form. promote your
> own, but not in the annoying manor you seem to excel at.

Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a real computer.

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:41:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:

>In message <45838816$(E-Mail Removed)>, El Chippy wrote:
>
>> Please please please stop... you are making all linux users look like
>> morons. Bashing the competitors product is very bad form. promote your
>> own, but not in the annoying manor you seem to excel at.

>Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a real computer.

And here, folks, displayed for all to see, is the arrogance of a Linux
geek (well, a MacLinux geek in this case).

No wonder Linux is struggling on the desktop, with people like you
advocating for it.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:07:45 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg

>No wonder Linux is struggling on the desktop, with people like you
>advocating for it.

I've seen worse on both sides of the camp. And really, who takes
advocates like that seriously?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:28:48 +1300, Waylon Kenning
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>T'was the Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:07:45 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
><(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>No wonder Linux is struggling on the desktop, with people like you
>>advocating for it.

>I've seen worse on both sides of the camp. And really, who takes
>advocates like that seriously?

Mmm. The problem is, Advocates like that make a joke out of what they
are advocating for. How can someone (who doesn't know about such
things) take Linux seriously if the only representation of it was from
idiots like that?

jasen

On 2006-12-16, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Aquilegia Alyssum wrote, On 16/12/06 6.34 p:
>> http://badvista.fsf.org/
>>
>> Interesting!

> That press release sounds too much like an april-fools joke to me.

closer to Halloween I think.

--

Bye.
Jasen

El Chippy

"Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> 'Ello Chippy

> Although I'd normally agree with your "stop forcing your views down my
> throat" post, I can't help but silently encourage AA in his/her
> continued pro Open Source quest.

I dont have a problem with him encouraging people to use Linux and open
source software.I use and enjoy playing around in Linux myself. I have a
problem with the continuous MS bashing. And telecom bashing. Better to
promote your own product than bash the competitors. Specially when you are
bashing a non existant product.. Vista isn't even availble for general
release yet. I dont see the MS advocates bashing the 2.6.20-rcXX kernels in
here do you?

> No matter what I say I'm always called in to recover systems which need
> not have gone down in the first place. The problem is ALWAYS security
> based.

user=ID10T or ignorant problems wont go away just by moving to Linux. The
same user that clicks Ok on every pop-up while browsing dodgy porn sites
will still install malware if they think it will get them free access to the
paris hilton video (or whatever it is that floats their boat).
Anytime ignorant user has admin access you have a problem.
Anytime user cant install new software you no longer have a user friendly
_home_ PC.

> I've used and supported MS from Dos 3.3

Hmmmm, i think the first PC/XT i owned had DOS 2.1 when i first acquired
it.. but my memory may be wrong on that one.

> through to XP but I'm now
> telling my friends, family and neighbours that if they buy a new
> computer and it runs Vista then don't come to me for advice cos I can't
> be bothered learning my way around a new operating system that I know
> I'll never use, especially when there are so many open source
> alternatives which will do the job just as well.

Depends on what they are trying to do... if its just email and internet
browsing linux is fine.
Work on getting developers to write/release software that runs on Linux,
until the applications are there the users wont be either. and until the
users are there why write applications for linux. Chicken and the Egg.

>> My mental image of you is of a very pale faced weedy little geek in a
>> suit
>> with a mountain bike

> For the record, fat, forty-ish and sunburnt. Not a pretty sight at all

Heh, currently a bit lobster like due to over exposure to the big nuclear
reactor in the sky myself. And the waistline has seen better days too.