Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anybody else have problems with Ascent's new mailout format?

Anybody else have problems with Ascent's new mailout format?

Peter Huebner

Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html emails
<sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links don't work,
pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail needs special
permission to load lazy html graphics).

Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of html
bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.

I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll have to
unsub.
</irony>
(No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
</irony off>

-Peter

Richard

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html emails
> <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links don't work,
> pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail needs special
> permission to load lazy html graphics).
>
> Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of html
> bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
>
> I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll have to
> unsub.
> </irony>
> (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
> </irony off>

What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
down or something when you tried to open it?

Blue

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:33:25 +1300, Richard wrote:

> What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
> I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
> down or something when you tried to open it?

Oh dear. E-mail should be in ASCII text alone. Web pages have html.

Try to keep it simple yes?

Kent Smith

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html
> emails <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus;
> links don't work, pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work,
> Pmail needs special permission to load lazy html graphics).
>
> Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot
> of html bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing
> unreadable.
>
> I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll
> have to unsub.
> </irony>
> (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
> </irony off>

Perhaps I missing something but you can go into your ascent preferences and
set your Email specials format to plain text.

-KENT

Peter Huebner

> What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
> I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
> down or something when you tried to open it?

Lazy html is an email where the graphics are not included but get loaded from
other [web based]sources after you open the mail. A common way to spread virii
and malware.

-P.

Peter Huebner

In article <elr990$192g$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Perhaps I missing something but you can go into your ascent preferences and
> set your Email specials format to plain text.
>

> -KENT

Thanks a lot for that, Kent. The setting must've got changed when they
redesigned the website because I had it on text before -- it didn't even occur
to me to check, I simply assumed they had changed the format as part of their
website remodelling. Good catch .

cheers, -Peter

Enkidu

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html emails
> <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links don't work,
> pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail needs special
> permission to load lazy html graphics).
>
> Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of html
> bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
>
> I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll have to
> unsub.
> <irony>
> (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
> </irony off>

(<irony> tag corrected!)

There are plenty of better email clients than Outlook or Pegasus.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Richard

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
>> I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
>> down or something when you tried to open it?
>>

> Lazy html is an email where the graphics are not included but get loaded from
> other [web based]sources after you open the mail. A common way to spread virii
> and malware.

I prefer that they don't include any images or flash with the email,
since it means that they end up using a lot more resources on the email
servers that the message has to go thru.

Only spreads viruses and stuff if you don't know how to work a computer IMO

Philip

Enkidu wrote:
> Peter Huebner wrote:
>> Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html
>> emails <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links
>> don't work, pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail
>> needs special permission to load lazy html graphics).
>>
>> Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of
>> html bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
>> I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll
>> have to unsub. <irony>
>> (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
>> </irony off>
>>

> (<irony> tag corrected!)
>
> There are plenty of better email clients than Outlook or Pegasus.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

I'm quite happy at the moment with Thunderbird, which has a basic
newsgroup reader capacity as well. I have it defaulted not to display
HTML or inline images, which speeds up downloading and spares me the
hideous sight of some idiot's idea of promotional marketing.

Now all I need is a spam filter that goes right back to the spammer and
explodes his hard drive in a murderous rain of sharp spinning platters
slicing through his fingers and flesh.

And if I had one, I really would use it.

Philip

Bruce Knox

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:26:36 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>> Peter Huebner wrote:
>>> Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html
>>> emails <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links
>>> don't work, pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail
>>> needs special permission to load lazy html graphics).
>>>
>>> Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of
>>> html bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
>>> I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll
>>> have to unsub. <irony>
>>> (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
>>> </irony off>
>>>

>> (<irony> tag corrected!)
>>
>> There are plenty of better email clients than Outlook or Pegasus.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

>I'm quite happy at the moment with Thunderbird, which has a basic
>newsgroup reader capacity as well. I have it defaulted not to display
>HTML or inline images, which speeds up downloading and spares me the
>hideous sight of some idiot's idea of promotional marketing.
>
>Now all I need is a spam filter that goes right back to the spammer and
>explodes his hard drive in a murderous rain of sharp spinning platters
>slicing through his fingers and flesh.
>
>And if I had one, I really would use it.
>
>Philip

I use Thunderbird and the Ascent html does not seem to work well with
it. It used to but not now. I can get the images but no text with
them. At least I think there should be text there otherwise its really
badly designed promotion material. If I try validating it I get 106
warnings (recoverable html faults).

Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
http://physio.otago.ac.nz