Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Noel Lemmings and Computer Price Matching

Reply
Thread Tools

Noel Lemmings and Computer Price Matching

 
 
Rob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the ascent
website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I had
seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me that
they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a retailer
with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were also their
competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't match their
prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only matched the prices
of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would therefore take my
business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty, so maybe they don't
need my business. However when I looked at Noel Lemmings price match
guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how they refused to match
it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop and they also offer
home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this with Noel Lemmings? The
way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it makes me think twice
about trying to buy locally again. There was no advantage for me buying
locally as buying from ascent, it would have been delivered to me the next
day, and I never require the prepurchase help of the shop assistant.

This is there price match statemen
FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
Terms & Conditions:
Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
Product compared must be in stock
Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
offers or parallel imported product
Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
radius of the store presented with the Price Promise
Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
will be matched).


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Lambert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
Rob wrote:
> I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the ascent
> website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
> local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
> the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
> ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I had
> seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me that
> they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a retailer
> with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were also their
> competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't match their
> prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only matched the prices
> of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would therefore take my
> business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty, so maybe they don't
> need my business. However when I looked at Noel Lemmings price match
> guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how they refused to match
> it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop and they also offer
> home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this with Noel Lemmings? The
> way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it makes me think twice
> about trying to buy locally again. There was no advantage for me buying
> locally as buying from ascent, it would have been delivered to me the next
> day, and I never require the prepurchase help of the shop assistant.
>
> This is there price match statemen
> FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
> WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
> Terms & Conditions:
> Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
> advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
> Product compared must be in stock
> Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
> Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
> clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
> offers or parallel imported product
> Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
> radius of the store presented with the Price Promise
> Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
> will be matched).
>
>

Support ascent - they are a local business and need it more then the
lemming guys - who i also have found to be useless

Went to buy a $1500 tv, Asked them if they accepted GE card - they said
yes, Then asked them if they had any finance deals going on at the time,
They said yes, We are offering 18 months intrest free, Defered payment.

We said we would take the tv. Swiped the card, All done and dusted. I
then said, So thats 18 months intrest free right.

No, Its only 18 months intrest free on pacific retail finance, Not GE card.


ARRRGH.. Reversed the payment back onto my credit card, Went accross the
road to harvey norman and got me a heavily discounted price, quickest
and easiest sale harvey norman have ever seen.

Worked in my favour too, The wife was so mad at noel leming (were
looking at 26" lcd's) we ended up getting a 32" with a soround system.
The wife happily parted with the money because she knew noel lemming
wasnt getting it. They gave us a wicked deal also - with intrest free -
on GE card


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:05:47 +1300, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the ascent
>website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
>local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
>the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
>ascent charge, and frankly it was priced higher than anywhere else I had
>seen it. I asked if they would match ascents prices, but they told me that
>they don't match wholesaler prices. I told them that ascent were a retailer
>with an online shop and also had a physical shop, and they were also their
>competitor of ferrit.co.nz. They said that they still wouldn't match their
>prices and believed they were a wholesaler, and they only matched the prices
>of retailers with a physical shop. Well I said I would therefore take my
>business elsewhere. Apart from me, their shop was empty, so maybe they don't
>need my business. However when I looked at Noel Lemmings price match
>guarantee on their website, I couldn't really see how they refused to match
>it. The retailer was also with 10 km of ascents shop and they also offer
>home electronics. Anyone else had problems like this with Noel Lemmings? The
>way the guy refused the sale was quite rude, and it makes me think twice
>about trying to buy locally again. There was no advantage for me buying
>locally as buying from ascent, it would have been delivered to me the next
>day, and I never require the prepurchase help of the shop assistant.
>
>This is there price match statemen
>FOUND THE SAME PRODUCT AT A LOWER PRICE LOCALLY?
>WE PROMISE TO MATCH IT AND GIVE YOU FLY BUYS!
>Terms & Conditions:
>Must be within 7 days of purchasing the product (or price of product
>advertised at competitor within last 7 days)
>Product compared must be in stock
>Must be the same new-boxed product, make and model
>Must be from a local retail home appliance dealer - excludes manufacturers
>clearances, stock liquidations, ex-demo models, trade offers, trade-in
>offers or parallel imported product
>Local = acknowledged home appliance retailers which operate within a 10km
>radius of the store presented with the Price Promise


Key word being "acknowledged".

>Internet-only retailers will be excluded (ie. Appliance retailer websites
>will be matched).
>

Acent aren't an Appliance Retailer, they are a discount online
webstore. They don't have a "retail store".

You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks
and mortar retailers. You can't have both.

(Having said that, Ascent are pretty good to deal with).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
Andrew Lambert wrote:


> No, Its only 18 months intrest free on pacific retail finance, Not GE
> card.


Odd, they are the same outfit
--
Leela: No offense Fry, but you've become a fat sack of crap!
Fry: Sack?!

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:05:47 +1300, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>>I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
>>ascent
>>website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
>>local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
>>the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
>>

> Acent aren't an Appliance Retailer, they are a discount online
> webstore. They don't have a "retail store".


>
> You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks
> and mortar retailers. You can't have both.
>


>You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks and
>mortar retailers. You can't have both.


What benefits do a bricks and mortar retailer offer in this case, the
product was boxed so I couldn't even see it. I was actually trying to
support a local retailer in my suburb, as I often notice that this
particular store is often not very busy when I pass by it. Alot of their
stock was also very old stock, they still had a stack of the old white ipod
shuffles that they are trying to sell. I have found in the US, retailers
will bend backwards to match online prices as any sale id better then no
sale at all.

I normally use Ascent for my business purchases and they have been good, and
they will get my business in this case to. Put simply it is easier to buy
online and cheaper too, and they infact provide far more information than
what a person working in the shop has any knowledge of.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:24:22 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
exclaimed:

>Andrew Lambert wrote:
>
>
>> No, Its only 18 months intrest free on pacific retail finance, Not GE
>> card.

>
>Odd, they are the same outfit


Still operated seperately, however.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
Rob wrote:
> As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
> into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.


Noel Leeming isn't a local retailer, they are a national chain.
Although they started in NZ, the chain is now Australian owned AFAIK.
(Owned by Sydney investment firm Gresham Partners IIRC.)


Peter



 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
Rob wrote:
> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:05:47 +1300, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>>> I was looking at buying a computer accessory which I had found on the
>>> ascent
>>> website. As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went into my
>>> local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington. They had
>>> the accessory in stock, but it was quite a bit more expensive than what
>>>

>> Acent aren't an Appliance Retailer, they are a discount online
>> webstore. They don't have a "retail store".

>
>> You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks
>> and mortar retailers. You can't have both.
>>

>
>> You expect the price of online discounters with the benefits of bricks and
>> mortar retailers. You can't have both.

>
> What benefits do a bricks and mortar retailer offer in this case, the
> product was boxed so I couldn't even see it. I was actually trying to
> support a local retailer in my suburb, as I often notice that this
> particular store is often not very busy when I pass by it. Alot of their
> stock was also very old stock, they still had a stack of the old white ipod
> shuffles that they are trying to sell. I have found in the US, retailers
> will bend backwards to match online prices as any sale id better then no
> sale at all.
>
> I normally use Ascent for my business purchases and they have been good, and
> they will get my business in this case to. Put simply it is easier to buy
> online and cheaper too, and they infact provide far more information than
> what a person working in the shop has any knowledge of.
>
>


I agree, Ive been looking at a new Mac and wandered in there....they
were the most expensive and their stock was old....I walked out
again...years ago I stopped going in due their silly prices and old
stock.....nothing has changed, probably wont be in their again for many
years.

regards

Thing










 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:elobl7$a93$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob wrote:
>> As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
>> into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.

>
> Noel Leeming isn't a local retailer, they are a national chain.
> Although they started in NZ, the chain is now Australian owned AFAIK.
> (Owned by Sydney investment firm Gresham Partners IIRC.)
>
>
> Peter
>
>
>


Agreed, but they do employ local people. If noone buys from them, they would
close that store.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:17:13 +1300, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>
>"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:elobl7$a93$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rob wrote:
>>> As I like to support my local retailers if I can, I went
>>> into my local noel lemmings branch which was in a suburb of wellington.

>>
>> Noel Leeming isn't a local retailer, they are a national chain.
>> Although they started in NZ, the chain is now Australian owned AFAIK.
>> (Owned by Sydney investment firm Gresham Partners IIRC.)

>
>
>Agreed, but they do employ local people. If noone buys from them, they would
>close that store.
>

Well, usually not.

Closing stores would look *really* bad, and probably cost more than
proping up underperforming branches.

I think very few actually make any money.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lemmings Tim Conway Computer Support 6 01-04-2010 05:10 PM
Noel Noel Noel Noel Noel Noel Noel Noel 0021275831620 sofiane Cisco 0 12-26-2006 09:31 PM
Quizz de Noel Emmanuel Delahaye C Programming 0 12-25-2005 12:23 PM
noel leemings and "new" laptops. cowboyz NZ Computing 25 06-29-2004 05:46 AM
Lemmings in javascript |-|erc Javascript 0 08-24-2003 12:17 AM



Advertisments