Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Zealand to get the DMCA?

New Zealand to get the DMCA?

Nik Coughlin

New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
purpose.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html

Earl Grey

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
> Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
> in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
> purpose.
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html

$150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
They'll make a fortune.

~misfit~

Earl Grey wrote:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
> > New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New
> > Zealand's Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US
> > DMCA and the EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you
> > do so for a lawful purpose.
> >
> > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html
> >

> $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
> They'll make a fortune.

Especially as every Pioneer DVD player that's been through Monaco Corp's
hands (Agent) has been set to region-free for the NZ market. There nust be
hundreds of thousands of people in NZ who own them. Not to mention all those
cheapies that are region-free.

Perhaps a revenue gathering exercise?
--
Shaun.

Earl Grey

~misfit~ wrote:
> Earl Grey wrote:
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New
>>> Zealand's Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US
>>> DMCA and the EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you
>>> do so for a lawful purpose.
>>>
>>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html
>>>

>> $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
>> They'll make a fortune.

> Especially as every Pioneer DVD player that's been through Monaco Corp's
> hands (Agent) has been set to region-free for the NZ market. There nust be
> hundreds of thousands of people in NZ who own them. Not to mention all those
> cheapies that are region-free.
>
> Perhaps a revenue gathering exercise?

Not to mention outlawing the shift key

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...sue_shift_key/

Earl Grey

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
> Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
> in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
> purpose.
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html

So you will be allowed to make a copy of any cd you own, but you can't
defeat any copy protection / rootkit installation scheme on the cd to do
so!
Judith Tizard is really looking after our rights folks. NOT !!!!

It looks like Sony dictated the bloody lot !

Earl Grey

Mathew Good wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:44:53 +1300, Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
>>> Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
>>> in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
>>> purpose.
>>>
>>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html
>>>

>> So you will be allowed to make a copy of any cd you own, but you can't
>> defeat any copy protection / rootkit installation scheme on the cd to do
>> so!
>> Judith Tizard is really looking after our rights folks. NOT !!!!
>>
>> It looks like Sony dictated the bloody lot !

> No its the US government, regarding Free Trade that NZ is trying to get, Plus the total ban on all
> Gray Imports.

Actually if you read the link to the bill in the article it does mention
parallel imports, affirming the governments position that it will
protect the competition in parallel importing and that parallel imports
are legit.
However that is inconsistent with criminalizing circumvention of region
coding which is a type of technological protection mechanism.
Region coding puts us at an anti competitive disadvantage when buying
cds online, and restricts our choices. Those are the unintended
consequences of trying to protect the cinema industry from the impact of
DVDs, the majority of which are never released in the cinema.

Its badly drafted as far as DRM schemes go though, you can't have it
both ways, legitimize fair use and criminalize the circumvention of
mechanisms that restrict fair use.

Mathew Good

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:44:53 +1300, Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
>> Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
>> in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
>> purpose.
>>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html
>>

>So you will be allowed to make a copy of any cd you own, but you can't
>defeat any copy protection / rootkit installation scheme on the cd to do
> so!
>Judith Tizard is really looking after our rights folks. NOT !!!!
>
>It looks like Sony dictated the bloody lot !

No its the US government, regarding Free Trade that NZ is trying to get, Plus the total ban on all
Gray Imports.

Craig Shore

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:33:00 +1300, Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mathew Good wrote:

>>> So you will be allowed to make a copy of any cd you own, but you can't
>>> defeat any copy protection / rootkit installation scheme on the cd to do
>>> so!
>>> Judith Tizard is really looking after our rights folks. NOT !!!!
>>>
>>> It looks like Sony dictated the bloody lot !

>> No its the US government, regarding Free Trade that NZ is trying to get, Plus the total ban on all
>> Gray Imports.
>>

>Actually if you read the link to the bill in the article it does mention
>parallel imports, affirming the governments position that it will
>protect the competition in parallel importing and that parallel imports
>are legit.
>However that is inconsistent with criminalizing circumvention of region
>coding which is a type of technological protection mechanism.
>Region coding puts us at an anti competitive disadvantage when buying
>cds online, and restricts our choices. Those are the unintended
>consequences of trying to protect the cinema industry from the impact of
>DVDs, the majority of which are never released in the cinema.
>
>Its badly drafted as far as DRM schemes go though, you can't have it
>both ways, legitimize fair use and criminalize the circumvention of
>mechanisms that restrict fair use.

It does seem to be poor on a quick read. How can you have this both ways?

The focus of section 226 will continue to be on the link between circumvention
and copyright infringement, and on the making, sale, and hire of devices or
information rather than on actual circumvention. While actual circumvention may
not be prohibited, any unauthorised use of the material that is facilitated by
circumvention will continue to be an infringement of copyright. Consumers
should, however, be able to make use of materials under the permitted acts or
view or execute a non-infringing copy of a work. This is consistent with New
Zealand's position on parallel importation of legitimate goods, for example,
genuine DVDs, from other jurisdictions. New provisions are introduced to enable
actual exercise of permitted acts where TPMs have been applied.

thingy

~misfit~ wrote:
> Earl Grey wrote:
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New
>>> Zealand's Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US
>>> DMCA and the EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you
>>> do so for a lawful purpose.
>>>
>>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html
>>>

>> $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
>> They'll make a fortune.

> Especially as every Pioneer DVD player that's been through Monaco Corp's
> hands (Agent) has been set to region-free for the NZ market. There nust be
> hundreds of thousands of people in NZ who own them. Not to mention all those
> cheapies that are region-free.
>
> Perhaps a revenue gathering exercise?

So is every DSE dvd player, the DSE sales people told me, that no one
will buy a region locked DVD player...

regards

Thing

steve

Earl Grey wrote:

> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
>> Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the
>> EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
>> purpose.
>>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06..._to_get_t.html
>>

> $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
> They'll make a fortune.

That level of penalty is very revealing.

You can poison a river and get a slap on the wrist, but if you tamper with a
multi-national's IP, they'll REALLY throw the bok at you.

--
Only boring people are bored.

VHDL Designers in New Zealand HighStreet VHDL 1 02-17-2011 06:10 AM
Photo Gallery Wellington New Zealand - New Year DONOTREPLY Digital Photography 1 01-19-2008 05:19 AM
Skype to New Zealand news VOIP 9 02-12-2006 12:56 PM
New Zealand to UK voip calls... Doz UK VOIP 14 09-13-2005 08:37 PM
Microsoft speaks out against New Zealand's new anti-spam law Imhotep Computer Security 46 08-30-2005 08:51 AM

Advertisments