Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

XP BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Warwick

Hi,

Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.

System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
effect.

The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked
at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
throw BSODs.

cheers

frederick

Warwick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
> to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
> doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
>
> System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
> fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
> effect.
>
> The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
> there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked
> at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
> throw BSODs.
>
> cheers

Last time I had that problem, a stuffed agp video card was the cause.

J Brockley

"Warwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1uf4yxna56c80.163kig0gbfg80$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
> to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
> doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
>
> System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
> fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
> effect.
>
> The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
> there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't
> looked
> at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
> throw BSODs.
>
> cheers

Check for stuffed capacitors on Mbrd. Usually indicated by leakage or
swollen tops.

Enkidu

Warwick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
> to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
> doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
>
> System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
> fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
> effect.
>
> The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
> there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked
> at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
> throw BSODs.

Wot frederick said. Any bad RAM can cause this. I don't know if it is
the only cause.

Incidentally, defragging does not normally touch the page file, which is
where paged out pages live.

The message refers to areas in RAM that are marked as non-paged but
which page tables say is paged. I think that's the way round it is.
Basically RAM is any RAM, including maybe video RAM.

You could run memtest or any memory tester over your RAM.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Phil

Warwick wrote, On 6/12/06 8.37 p:
> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
> to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
> doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.

Microsoft's support site is usually pretty good with specific BSOD
messages, although this is one of those that has many possibilities:
<http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=PAGE_FAULT_ IN_NONPAGED_AREA&adv=&mode=r&cat=False&spid=1173>

-Phil

~misfit~

Warwick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not
> seem to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle -
> and it doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
>
> System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
> fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
> effect.
>
> The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed
> hardware/software - there isn't any. And disabling caching or
> shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked at BIOS yet but can't understand
> why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to throw BSODs.
>
> cheers

Download and run Memtest 86+. You make either a bootable floppy or a
bootable CD and set it to boot from the selected media. It loops through RAM
tests and will tell you if your RAM is at fault (as I suspect it may be).
Running it overnight/for 8 hours is a good test.

Good luck.
--
Shaun.

Warwick

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:32:32 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
>> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not
>> seem to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle -
>> and it doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
>>
>> System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
>> fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
>> effect.
>>
>> The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed
>> hardware/software - there isn't any. And disabling caching or
>> shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked at BIOS yet but can't understand
>> why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to throw BSODs.
>>
>> cheers

> Download and run Memtest 86+. You make either a bootable floppy or a
> bootable CD and set it to boot from the selected media. It loops through RAM
> tests and will tell you if your RAM is at fault (as I suspect it may be).
> Running it overnight/for 8 hours is a good test.
>
> Good luck.

I have ram test set in bios for start up. I have watched it boot and click
the ram over, no problems. Could there be faults in RAM that BIOS cannot
detect but Memtest will?

Frankly I suspect the graphics card. When I saw Fredericks post I
remembered one of the springloaded pins that hold the heatsink to the chip
had broken and I fixed it with a piece of toothpick about 3 years ago.
Before I identified that problem it threw BSODs. I dont have another AGP
card to swap it out with, but first diagnostic step is buying a new one and
swapping it. Probably later today.

cheers

Peter Huebner

In article <1uf4yxna56c80.163kig0gbfg80$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
> to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
> doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
>
> System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
> fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has had no
> effect.
>
> The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed hardware/software -
> there isn't any. And disabling caching or shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked
> at BIOS yet but can't understand why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to
> throw BSODs.
>
> cheers

For me, that started happening when I loaded WinXP's ServicePack2 on to my
machine, never had happened before. The solution was to take SP2 back off,
reduce FSB speed in the bios a little and crossgrade to better quality memory
sticks.
A lot of trouble to have to go to but the machine's been rock solid again
from that time onwards.
I have kept Windows Update turned off ever since, cause I don't want anything
similar happening again, tyvm. Huh, that reminds me: it must be just about
backup time.

-Peter

~misfit~

Warwick wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:32:32 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Warwick wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro
> > > on an Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent
> > > and does not seem to relate to paging since it happens when the
> > > machine is idle - and it doesn't do much apart from playing music
> > > anyway.
> > >
> > > System drive is 67 GB with 8 GB free space. I defragged it in case
> > > fragmentation was causing paging in a non paged area but it has
> > > had no effect.
> > >
> > > The BSOD suggests disabling/removing newly installed
> > > hardware/software - there isn't any. And disabling caching or
> > > shadowing in BIOS. Haven't looked at BIOS yet but can't understand
> > > why BIOS should suddenly cause windows to throw BSODs.
> > >
> > > cheers

> > Download and run Memtest 86+. You make either a bootable floppy or a
> > bootable CD and set it to boot from the selected media. It loops
> > through RAM tests and will tell you if your RAM is at fault (as I
> > suspect it may be). Running it overnight/for 8 hours is a good test.
> >
> > Good luck.

> I have ram test set in bios for start up. I have watched it boot and
> click the ram over, no problems. Could there be faults in RAM that
> BIOS cannot detect but Memtest will?

Most certainly.

> Frankly I suspect the graphics card. When I saw Fredericks post I
> remembered one of the springloaded pins that hold the heatsink to the
> chip had broken and I fixed it with a piece of toothpick about 3
> years ago. Before I identified that problem it threw BSODs. I dont
> have another AGP card to swap it out with, but first diagnostic step
> is buying a new one and swapping it. Probably later today.

Ok, that doesn't sound good with the jerry-rigged repair. Please, let us
know what happens.

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

Biggles

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:37:43 +1300, Warwick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any help with the above BSOD? System is XP Pro on an
> Athlon XP1800 with 512 MB ram. The problem is persistent and does not seem
> to relate to paging since it happens when the machine is idle - and it
> doesn't do much apart from playing music anyway.
>

> cheers

Mine has been doing this same damn thing lately,,,

Its intermittent,can go 5 ddays with no hiccups, blue screens usually when
i login as admin ... ill never by quay computer ram again .. grrrrrr

Biggles