Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Itunes is here!!!!!!!!

Itunes is here!!!!!!!!

whome

"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1165401929.731858@ftpsrv1...

> "Jason Fanning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d7fde$45767bcd$5964539e$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> whome wrote:
>>

>>> Typical hacked together site with messed up links and associations. Dell
>>> had similar issues a while back.

>> Typical NZ attitude, everyone moans that they don't have a service, then
>> when they get it everyone moans that they have it.
>>
>> I just tried the Apple NZ site, it worked perfectly for me, and I would
>> buy anything on the Apple site over Dell any day, the Apple actually
>> works.

> It now seems to be going to the NZ processing site and giving the correct
> values, but it definitely wasn't working properly when I first tested it.
> I guess they have had a few bugs

i might get the 8gb nano - earphone connector on my zen micro is failing.
Actually, earphone connectors have caused nearly all of my walkman
failures.

Jason Fanning

Jekyll and Hyde wrote:

> Lol, we're 50/50 Apple and Dell at work.
> The failure rate is about even.
> We get 5 yr next day onsite warranty with Dell.
> We get 1 yr send away warranty from Apple, then after that it's fix it
> yourself, if you can aford the outrageously priced spares.

I've got 3 yr warranties for my Macs, and I'm just a home consumer, or
did you not purchase the extra warranty like you did on your Dells?

Jekyll and Hyde

"Jason Fanning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b2c39$45772338$5964539e$(E-Mail Removed) e...
> Jekyll and Hyde wrote:
>
>> Lol, we're 50/50 Apple and Dell at work.
>> The failure rate is about even.
>> We get 5 yr next day onsite warranty with Dell.
>> We get 1 yr send away warranty from Apple, then after that it's fix it
>> yourself, if you can aford the outrageously priced spares.

> I've got 3 yr warranties for my Macs, and I'm just a home consumer, or did
> you not purchase the extra warranty like you did on your Dells?

The Dells come standard with 5yr warranty, we have a Corporate Gold support
plan at no extra cost due to large volume.
Apple however have no such free plans in spite of similar volume.

Not only does the standard Apple 1 yr warranty breach our consumer
guarantees act, but so does the so called "Apple protection plan" extended
warranty scheme, which requires online registration within a certain period,
or it's void.

You did register your protection plans online, didn't you?

J&H.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Sharktbbtfy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.apple.com/nz/

Neat

At $1.79 per individually bought track it's not a great price IMHO.
Though the album price of $23.99 is a wee bit more reasonable.

For example: I just bought U2 18 Singles CD from Sounds for $24.99, so
that was $1.39 per song (and in high quality AIFF). iTunes sells the
entire album at $23.99 (in low quality 128Kbps AAC) which works out at
$1.33 per song. iTunes is cheaper (but only if I purchase an entire
album), but also lower quality.

The only time I'm likely to pay $1.79 for an individual track is when
there's an album with only one or two tracks I want, or if iTunes has
something really rare for sale.

That said, 75% of my music purchases are made browsing the bargain bins
at Sounds and Tracks, where I get some excellent deals (CDs for $10 -
$20) so I'd have to want a particular song very badly to buy from iTunes
where I'll get lower quality, pay more, AND have to take the time to
burn and reimport to remove the copy protection.

YMMV, and obviously has in other countries iTunes sells music in.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Mutlley

"Sharktbbtfy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.apple.com/nz/

Not at NZ$1.79 it's not. Currently US$1 = NZ$1.45

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 08:52:05 +1300, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>"Sharktbbtfy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>http://www.apple.com/nz/

>Not at NZ$1.79 it's not. Currently US$1 = NZ$1.45

Yes, but we also have GST which must be taken into consideration. Add
GST and you've got $1.65, which is about right (@ $1.79) to allow for
currency fluctuations.

Jason Fanning

Jekyll and Hyde wrote:

> The Dells come standard with 5yr warranty, we have a Corporate Gold support
> plan at no extra cost due to large volume.
> Apple however have no such free plans in spite of similar volume.
>
> Not only does the standard Apple 1 yr warranty breach our consumer
> guarantees act, but so does the so called "Apple protection plan" extended
> warranty scheme, which requires online registration within a certain period,
> or it's void.
>
> You did register your protection plans online, didn't you?

Why yes I did, thanks for the concern. But it is written on the box,
and the sales person tells you to make sure you do. It also has the old
fashion paper version to fill in if you want, so not strictly online.
But if you buy Applecare with a new Apple Product online they do
auto-enrollment now. Also with AppleCare you have a year from purchase
date to purchase the extended warranty, which not many other places do...

Also, I think you will find that the standard Apple Warranty is generic
one for all countries...

And according to the Hardware Warranty information page it says...

CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWS
FOR CONSUMERS WHO ARE COVERED BY CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWS OR REGULATIONS
IN THEIR COUNTRY OF PURCHASE OR, IF DIFFERENT, THEIR COUNTRY OF
RESIDENCE, THE BENEFITS CONFERRED BY THIS WARRANTY ARE IN ADDITION TO
ALL RIGHTS AND REMEDIES CONVEYED BY SUCH CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWS AND
REGULATIONS.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/hardware.html

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:32:21 +1300 when I remembered
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) saying something like
this:

>At $1.79 per individually bought track it's not a great price IMHO.
>Though the album price of $23.99 is a wee bit more reasonable.

$1.99 for a song from Vodafone Music (http://music.vodafone.co.nz), or
$17.99 for the album.

Songs purchased can be downloaded to a 3G phone, and also can be
downloaded from the website to your Windows XP based computer as
protected WMAs.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Robert Cooze

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:32:21 +1300 when I remembered
> (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) saying something like
> this:
>
>> At $1.79 per individually bought track it's not a great price IMHO.
>> Though the album price of $23.99 is a wee bit more reasonable.

> $1.99 for a song from Vodafone Music (http://music.vodafone.co.nz), or
> $17.99 for the album.
>
> Songs purchased can be downloaded to a 3G phone, and also can be
> downloaded from the website to your Windows XP based computer as
> protected WMAs.

But have you actually tried vodaphones service? yes I have the 3G phone
but never used it for that. I put on my own mp3 on it many recordings
are very old up to 50 years since the artist died. The only legal way in
New Zealand.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:08:24 +1300 when I remembered Robert
Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>But have you actually tried vodaphones service? yes I have the 3G phone
> but never used it for that. I put on my own mp3 on it many recordings
>are very old up to 50 years since the artist died. The only legal way in
>New Zealand.

I've downloaded a few songs from Vodafone Live before. At $3.50 a
song, they were a little expensive, but at now $1.99 a song, and the
ability to download to the computer and burn to CD, I think they're
entirely more reasonable.

I did however have a problem getting one song activated. I'll have to
ring them I think.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.