Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > alarm and monitoring systems in the IT world

alarm and monitoring systems in the IT world

thingy

Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....

Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
getting results?

Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....

So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?

regards

Thing

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4573d49a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
> these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
>
> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
> getting results?
>
> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
> things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
> monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
> get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
>
> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Check AppManager from Adventnet
(http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr...ger/index.html)

Some comments from my experience:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/1781
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/1213

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz

Martin

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4573d49a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
> these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
>
> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
> getting results?
>
> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
> things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
> monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
> get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
>
> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Worked for a company that had a couple of old sh*tter PC's with Nagios on
them - was meant to be only until Patrol, MOM etc. got upto speed - 3 yrs
later still using Nagios (-;

If you want to try it without too much hassle download a Vmware Virtual
Appliance - http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/

Try and get one that has the OpenGroundwork Web Fron end - very nicely
done...

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:57:00 +1300 when I remembered thingy

>Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
>these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....

What didn't you like about HP Openview?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Andrew Lambert

thingy wrote:
> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
> these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
>
> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
> getting results?
>
> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
> things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
> monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
> get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
>
> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also the
3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)

Dave

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions
>> are these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
>>
>> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
>> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going
>> and getting results?
>>
>> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to
>> improve things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking
>> will these monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or
>> after 2 ~ 3 years get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
>>
>> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also the
> 3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)

Roughly where in NZ are you?

Dave - currently looking for a job involving *lots* of toys.

Andrew Lambert

>>> Thing

>> Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also the
>> 3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)

> Roughly where in NZ are you?
>
> Dave - currently looking for a job involving *lots* of toys.

welllington

Dave

Andrew Lambert wrote:
>>> Nagios is used here... monitors all the critical servers and also
>>> the 3000+ blades (that took alot of tweaking though)

>> Roughly where in NZ are you?
>>
>> Dave - currently looking for a job involving *lots* of toys.

> welllington

Thanks, I'm on my way

thingy

Martin wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4573d49a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions are
>> these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
>>
>> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
>> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
>> getting results?
>>
>> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
>> things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
>> monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3 years
>> get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
>>
>> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> Worked for a company that had a couple of old sh*tter PC's with Nagios on
> them - was meant to be only until Patrol, MOM etc. got upto speed - 3 yrs
> later still using Nagios (-;
>
> If you want to try it without too much hassle download a Vmware Virtual
> Appliance - http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/
>
> Try and get one that has the OpenGroundwork Web Fron end - very nicely
> done...

Groundworks is currently my favorite possibility....given no one really
knows the cost implications yet of a full blown commercial system.........

we already run a full Vmware setup...

regards

thing

thingy

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4573d49a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Having experienced BMC Patrol, Tivoli, HP Openview....my conclusions
>> are these are over-priced and under performing pieces of junk....
>>
>> Anybody tried something that works? ie on sites of over 50
>> servers....netiq looks a possibility, anybody have it up and going and
>> getting results?
>>
>> Now looking at the business drivers these things get put in to improve
>> things....so looking at documented failures I am thinking will these
>> monitoring systems really help us predict failures? or after 2 ~ 3
>> years get shoved in the corner and dis-connected....
>>
>> So has anyone deployed a system that worked and was value for money?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> Check AppManager from Adventnet
> (http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr...ger/index.html)