Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "In short, IBM intends to skin SCO alive at trial."

"In short, IBM intends to skin SCO alive at trial."

thingy

Not so much the tide has turned against SCO as here comes the 200foot
high tsunami.........dear Darl's bad mouthing is coming home to roost
big time....

I cannot see how SCO's business will even survive the trial, Novell
should get it pretty quick. If that fails SCO's business selling i386
Unix should collapse anyway, I mean customers would need their bumps
felt if they are still or contemplating rolling out platforms based on
SCO.....then IBMs counter suits arrive....where is this vendor going to
be at most 2 years from now? (apart from jail).

regards

Thing

Peter

thingy wrote:
> I cannot see how SCO's business will even survive the trial, Novell
> should get it pretty quick. If that fails SCO's business selling i386
> Unix should collapse anyway, I mean customers would need their bumps
> felt if they are still or contemplating rolling out platforms based on
> SCO.....then IBMs counter suits arrive....where is this vendor going to
> be at most 2 years from now? (apart from jail).

Is Microsoft still funding those crooks at SCO?

(There was a story that MS was providing funds via some third party, as part
of MS's dirty tricks campaign against Linux.)

peterwn

Peter wrote:
> thingy wrote:
> > I cannot see how SCO's business will even survive the trial, Novell
> > should get it pretty quick. If that fails SCO's business selling i386
> > Unix should collapse anyway, I mean customers would need their bumps
> > felt if they are still or contemplating rolling out platforms based on
> > SCO.....then IBMs counter suits arrive....where is this vendor going to
> > be at most 2 years from now? (apart from jail).

> Is Microsoft still funding those crooks at SCO?
>

> (There was a story that MS was providing funds via some third party, as part
> of MS's dirty tricks campaign against Linux.)

And / or MS has 'guaranteed' other outfits investing in SCO.

thingy

Peter wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> I cannot see how SCO's business will even survive the trial, Novell
>> should get it pretty quick. If that fails SCO's business selling i386
>> Unix should collapse anyway, I mean customers would need their bumps
>> felt if they are still or contemplating rolling out platforms based on
>> SCO.....then IBMs counter suits arrive....where is this vendor going to
>> be at most 2 years from now? (apart from jail).

> Is Microsoft still funding those crooks at SCO?
>

> (There was a story that MS was providing funds via some third party, as part
> of MS's dirty tricks campaign against Linux.)

Nope, Baystar etc ran away. Also I am hoping if it can be shown that
SCO used MS's money to fund such a malicious and unfounded attack and is
damaging RH/IBM/Linux it could be argued that MS as a supporter of the
action is also liable.....that would be neat....

regards

Thing

Adam

thingy wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>> thingy wrote:
>>> I cannot see how SCO's business will even survive the trial, Novell
>>> should get it pretty quick. If that fails SCO's business selling i386
>>> Unix should collapse anyway, I mean customers would need their bumps
>>> felt if they are still or contemplating rolling out platforms based on
>>> SCO.....then IBMs counter suits arrive....where is this vendor going to
>>> be at most 2 years from now? (apart from jail).

>> Is Microsoft still funding those crooks at SCO?
>>

>> (There was a story that MS was providing funds via some third party, as
>> part of MS's dirty tricks campaign against Linux.)
>>

> Nope, Baystar etc ran away. Also I am hoping if it can be shown that
> SCO used MS's money to fund such a malicious and unfounded attack and is
> damaging RH/IBM/Linux it could be argued that MS as a supporter of the
> action is also liable.....that would be neat....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

It looks doubtful that will happen, as the main case looks like it will fold
soon.

Now this MS-Novell-GPL thing, looks like that has legs.

steve

Peter wrote:

> thingy wrote:
>> I cannot see how SCO's business will even survive the trial, Novell
>> should get it pretty quick. If that fails SCO's business selling i386
>> Unix should collapse anyway, I mean customers would need their bumps
>> felt if they are still or contemplating rolling out platforms based on
>> SCO.....then IBMs counter suits arrive....where is this vendor going to
>> be at most 2 years from now? (apart from jail).

> Is Microsoft still funding those crooks at SCO?
>
> (There was a story that MS was providing funds via some third party, as
> part of MS's dirty tricks campaign against Linux.)

MS pulled the funding from the 3rd party....who then cat a cat fight with
SCO.

Old news.

whome

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:456dd02c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...61129034252692
>
> Not so much the tide has turned against SCO as here comes the 200foot high
> tsunami.........dear Darl's bad mouthing is coming home to roost big
> time....
>

> I cannot see how SCO's business will even survive the trial, Novell should
> get it pretty quick. If that fails SCO's business selling i386 Unix should
> collapse anyway, I mean customers would need their bumps felt if they are
> still or contemplating rolling out platforms based on SCO.....then IBMs
> counter suits arrive....where is this vendor going to be at most 2 years
> from now? (apart from jail).
>
> regards
>
> Thing

don't believe for a minute that ibm cannot be evil too.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whome wrote:

> don't believe for a minute that ibm cannot be evil too.

Sure. But nowadays its business is depending more and more on software
released under the GNU General Public License. That kind of puts a crimp in
the sort of evil you can commit--as Microsoft has been discovering with the
fallout from its Novell deal.

impossible

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
message news:ekm2kj$bcp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whome
> wrote:
>
>> don't believe for a minute that ibm cannot be evil too.

> Sure. But nowadays its business is depending more and more on
> software
> released under the GNU General Public License.

Not true at all. Servicing open-source software is a very, very small
part of IBM's business. As you well know, IBM holds 50,000 software
patents, more than any company in the world. Last year alone it was
granted 3000 software patents. It's core business is proprietary from
top to bottom.

> That kind of puts a crimp in
> the sort of evil you can commit--as Microsoft has been discovering
> with the
> fallout from its Novell deal.

IBM fights for its intellectual property rights every bit as fiercely
as Microsoft. For instance, IBM is currently suing Amazon for
violating a 1994 patent said to concern the creation of electronic
catalogues, among other things.

http://www.forbes.com/business/2006/...markets05.html

Earl Grey

impossible wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> message news:ekm2kj$bcp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, whome
>> wrote:
>>
>>> don't believe for a minute that ibm cannot be evil too.

>> Sure. But nowadays its business is depending more and more on
>> software
>> released under the GNU General Public License.

> Not true at all. Servicing open-source software is a very, very small
> part of IBM's business. As you well know, IBM holds 50,000 software
> patents, more than any company in the world. Last year alone it was
> granted 3000 software patents. It's core business is proprietary from
> top to bottom.

Mmmm, if you say so ...

http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/opensource/
http://www-1.ibm.com/linux/index.shtml
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...interview.html

"This highlights IBM's recent activities in patents and open source. In
July 2004, we pledged not to assert any patents against the Linux
kernel. Another example is in the area of Web services standards where
we asserted that we would not make any claims. You should expect some
other things from IBM in this area as the year goes by. We intend to be
very creative."