Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft's idea of innovation

Microsoft's idea of innovation

Peter

The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow to
take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get by
without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
shows how inventive and innovative we are.
It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista to
show how innovative we are.

It all came over as rather offensive, really.

Peter

whome

news:ekfa0g$p4n$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
> manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
> take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
> really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
> by
> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
> show how innovative we are.
>
> It all came over as rather offensive, really.
>

> Peter

Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
conclusion is wrong.

NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
our poor online banking offerings.

We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
changed.

NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
countries.

Shane

whome wrote:

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ekfa0g$p4n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
>> manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
>> take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
>> really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
>> by
>> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
>> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
>> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
>> show how innovative we are.
>>
>> It all came over as rather offensive, really.
>>

>> Peter
>>

> Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
> conclusion is wrong.
>
> NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
> our poor online banking offerings.
>
> We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
> changed.
>
> NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
> countries.

At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on the
planet (im not sure if that still holds)
When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet, when
they dont, they stay away in droves

--
Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

whome

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:ekfb6t$5kh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> whome wrote:
>

>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ekfa0g$p4n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a
>>> Microsoft
>>> manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow
>>> take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
>>> really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get
>>> by
>>> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us
>>> to,
>>> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
>>> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista
>>> show how innovative we are.
>>>
>>> It all came over as rather offensive, really.
>>>

>>> Peter
>>>

>> Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
>> conclusion is wrong.
>>
>> NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look
>> at
>> our poor online banking offerings.
>>
>> We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
>> changed.
>>
>> NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
>> countries.

> At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on
> the
> planet (im not sure if that still holds)
> When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet, when
> they dont, they stay away in droves
>

> --
> Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
> Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.
>
> blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

I thought finland had that record now. Finland were one the first to
target childrens sales when their adult market became saturated.

Anyway, having the most number of cellphones is not a sign of innovation.
The innovation took place 15 years ago.

Shane

whome wrote:

> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> news:ekfb6t$5kh$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> whome wrote:
>>

>>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ekfa0g$p4n$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
>>> conclusion is wrong.
>>>
>>> NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look
>>> at
>>> our poor online banking offerings.
>>>
>>> We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
>>> changed.
>>>
>>> NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
>>> countries.

>> At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on
>> the
>> planet (im not sure if that still holds)
>> When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet, when
>> they dont, they stay away in droves
>>

>> --
>> Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
>> Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.
>>
>> blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
>>

> I thought finland had that record now. Finland were one the first to
> target childrens sales when their adult market became saturated.
>
> Anyway, having the most number of cellphones is not a sign of innovation.
> The innovation took place 15 years ago.

Right, how do you define innovation then, recalling that the post of yours
that I responded to decried innovation in NZ because of the lack of sales
Microsoft is experiencing with its product
Or did your reply to the OP have nothing to do with his post?

--
Hyperchicken: Son, as your lawyer, I declare y'all are in a 12-piece bucket
o' trouble. But I done struck you a deal: Five hours of community service

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

whome

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:ekfdec$a9j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> whome wrote:
>

>> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
>> news:ekfb6t$5kh$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on
>>> the
>>> planet (im not sure if that still holds)
>>> When NZers do take up a new technology, they jump in with both feet,
>>> when
>>> they dont, they stay away in droves
>>>

>>> --
>>> Umbriel: You have sea lions on land?
>>> Fry: Yep, we call them land-sea lions. I train them.
>>>
>>> blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
>>>

>> I thought finland had that record now. Finland were one the first to
>> target childrens sales when their adult market became saturated.
>>
>> Anyway, having the most number of cellphones is not a sign of innovation.
>> The innovation took place 15 years ago.

> Right, how do you define innovation then, recalling that the post of yours
> that I responded to decried innovation in NZ because of the lack of sales
> Microsoft is experiencing with its product
> Or did your reply to the OP have nothing to do with his post?
>

> --
> Hyperchicken: Son, as your lawyer, I declare y'all are in a 12-piece
> bucket
> o' trouble. But I done struck you a deal: Five hours of community service
> cleanin' up that ol' mess you caused.
> Bender: Five hours? Aw, man! Couldn't you just got me the death penalty?
>
> blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

My reply has everything to do with the OP post. If you can't see that, I am
not going to explain to you.

Mark Remfrey

Shane wrote:

> At one point NZ had the highest penetration of cell phones per capita on the
> planet (im not sure if that still holds)

Yeah, I remember reading of a few University party stunts that went
horribly wrong.... requiring a rather embarrassing trip to the A&E ward,
and painful extraction.

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

Earl Grey

Peter wrote:
> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
> manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow to
> take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
> really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get by
> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista to
> show how innovative we are.
>
> It all came over as rather offensive, really.
>

> Peter

surprise surprise

Low demand for Microsoft product would indicate a lack of innovation on
their part to any other observer.

Who Am I

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, of course he is quite correct except the way he arrives at his
> conclusion is wrong.
>
> NZ'ers are not innovators - look at digital TV, look at broadband, look at
> our poor online banking offerings.
>
> We used to laugh at the UK for how backward they are - oh how times have
> changed.
>
> NZ is a land of house buyers. We leave the innovation mostly up to other
> countries.

Yep, that because the government could find billions for a waterfront
stadium but nothing extra to fund science, health, education

thingy

Peter wrote:
> The radio this morning ran a rather offensive audio clip from a Microsoft
> manager, who claimed that slow sales of MS software shows NZers are slow to
> take up new technology and are therefore not innovative. In fact, it is
> really more illustrative of the opposite, ie the fact that NZers can get by
> without having to buy every bit of bloatware the MS marketers tell us to,
> shows how inventive and innovative we are.
> It seems that MS was trying say that NZers should rush out and buy Vista to
> show how innovative we are.
>
> It all came over as rather offensive, really.
>

> Peter

par for the course, it is not that long ago that some second rate MS
lapdog here in NZ was whining that CIOs in NZ were behind the times and
needed a wake up..........so lets see, bitch slap the heads of various
IT depts around town (you know the ones who determine what to buy) and
hope they are kowtowed into buying even more MS products as a
result........not.......she must live in a weird world.....

regards

Thing