Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Look who has a low opinion of reporters:

Look who has a low opinion of reporters:

EvilclivE

"I deplore... the putrid state into which our newspapers have
passed and the malignity, the vulgarity, and mendacious spirit of
those who write for them... These ordures are rapidly depraving
the public taste and lessening its relish for sound food. As
vehicles of information and a curb on our funtionaries, they have
rendered themselves useless by forfeiting all title to belief...
This has, in a great degree, been produced by the violence and
malignity of party spirit." -- Thomas Jefferson to Walter Jones
(1814)

Jerry

EvilclivE wrote:
> "I deplore... the putrid state into which our newspapers have
> passed and the malignity, the vulgarity, and mendacious spirit of
> those who write for them... These ordures are rapidly depraving
> the public taste and lessening its relish for sound food. As
> vehicles of information and a curb on our funtionaries, they have
> rendered themselves useless by forfeiting all title to belief...
> This has, in a great degree, been produced by the violence and
> malignity of party spirit." -- Thomas Jefferson to Walter Jones
> (1814)

What does this have to do with computers?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <456a8fee$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> EvilclivE wrote:
>> "I deplore... the putrid state into which our newspapers have
>> passed and the malignity, the vulgarity, and mendacious spirit of
>> those who write for them... These ordures are rapidly depraving
>> the public taste and lessening its relish for sound food. As
>> vehicles of information and a curb on our funtionaries, they have
>> rendered themselves useless by forfeiting all title to belief...
>> This has, in a great degree, been produced by the violence and
>> malignity of party spirit." -- Thomas Jefferson to Walter Jones
>> (1814)

> What does this have to do with computers?

It was written by a person. and dates from a time when "computer" meant a
person.

steve

EvilclivE wrote:

> "I deplore... the putrid state into which our newspapers have
> passed and the malignity, the vulgarity, and mendacious spirit of
> those who write for them... These ordures are rapidly depraving
> the public taste and lessening its relish for sound food. As
> vehicles of information and a curb on our funtionaries, they have
> rendered themselves useless by forfeiting all title to belief...
> This has, in a great degree, been produced by the violence and
> malignity of party spirit." -- Thomas Jefferson to Walter Jones
> (1814)

He was right....as each generation has had its frothy press with stories
that entertain rather than inform.