Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When to pick quad core and when to pick dual core

When to pick quad core and when to pick dual core

thingy

Hi,

When considering a server purchase....

The Q is, is 4 x 3 GHZ Xeons (12Ghz overall) with 2 x dual core CPUs
better or 8 x 1.86 Ghz or (14Ghz) CPUs better via 2 x quad core CPUs.
This really depends on how well an application scales on multiple CPUs
and the effects of the different cache sizes available v raw GHZ....or
combinations thereof.

Anybody found some good articles out there for server applications,
especially sendmail?

Trying to decide which CPU to buy....

regards

Thing

Who Am I

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When considering a server purchase....
>
> The Q is, is 4 x 3 GHZ Xeons (12Ghz overall) with 2 x dual core CPUs
> better or 8 x 1.86 Ghz or (14Ghz) CPUs better via 2 x quad core CPUs.
> This really depends on how well an application scales on multiple CPUs
> and the effects of the different cache sizes available v raw GHZ....or
> combinations thereof.
>
> Anybody found some good articles out there for server applications,
> especially sendmail?
>
> Trying to decide which CPU to buy....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Well for the Quad Core machine we ended up buying Macs because they were
cheaper than the local PC supplier by about $1000 a machine..... and
that is to run them as linux boxes so we were not factoring in Windows
as a cost on the machines but the Macs do include OSX.

thingy

Who Am I wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When considering a server purchase....
>>
>> The Q is, is 4 x 3 GHZ Xeons (12Ghz overall) with 2 x dual core CPUs
>> better or 8 x 1.86 Ghz or (14Ghz) CPUs better via 2 x quad core CPUs.
>> This really depends on how well an application scales on multiple CPUs
>> and the effects of the different cache sizes available v raw GHZ....or
>> combinations thereof.
>>
>> Anybody found some good articles out there for server applications,
>> especially sendmail?
>>
>> Trying to decide which CPU to buy....
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> Well for the Quad Core machine we ended up buying Macs because they were
> cheaper than the local PC supplier by about $1000 a machine..... and
> that is to run them as linux boxes so we were not factoring in Windows
> as a cost on the machines but the Macs do include OSX.

Same server but with different cpus, rather than a different piece of
kit....looks like quad core does little for Sendmail so dual cores seems
the better option....surprisingly hard to find real information and not
hype out there...

regards

Thing

Tony

thingy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When considering a server purchase....
>
> The Q is, is 4 x 3 GHZ Xeons (12Ghz overall) with 2 x dual core CPUs
> better or 8 x 1.86 Ghz or (14Ghz) CPUs better via 2 x quad core CPUs.
> This really depends on how well an application scales on multiple CPUs
> and the effects of the different cache sizes available v raw GHZ....or
> combinations thereof.
>
> Anybody found some good articles out there for server applications,
> especially sendmail?
>
> Trying to decide which CPU to buy....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Sendmail doesn't use that much CPU, but memory and disk speed will be
important. I would tend to pick the more modern quad cores and put in
crap loads of memory over the older 3gig Xeons. Remember, the MHz rating
does not necessarily equate to processing power. SAS drives in a raid 10
(plus hot spares if you can) if you want exceptional speed as well.

Who Am I

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Well for the Quad Core machine we ended up buying Macs because they were
> > cheaper than the local PC supplier by about $1000 a machine..... and
> > that is to run them as linux boxes so we were not factoring in Windows
> > as a cost on the machines but the Macs do include OSX.

> Same server but with different cpus, rather than a different piece of
> kit....looks like quad core does little for Sendmail so dual cores seems
> the better option....surprisingly hard to find real information and not
> hype out there...
>
> regards
>
> Thing

We got them for number crunching x-ray data.
Performance of any app will depend on the level of multi-threading and
how well the threads can be distributed across multiple CPUs.

thingy

Tony wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When considering a server purchase....
>>
>> The Q is, is 4 x 3 GHZ Xeons (12Ghz overall) with 2 x dual core CPUs
>> better or 8 x 1.86 Ghz or (14Ghz) CPUs better via 2 x quad core CPUs.
>> This really depends on how well an application scales on multiple CPUs
>> and the effects of the different cache sizes available v raw GHZ....or
>> combinations thereof.
>>
>> Anybody found some good articles out there for server applications,
>> especially sendmail?
>>
>> Trying to decide which CPU to buy....
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

> Sendmail doesn't use that much CPU, but memory and disk speed will be
> important. I would tend to pick the more modern quad cores and put in
> crap loads of memory over the older 3gig Xeons. Remember, the MHz rating
> does not necessarily equate to processing power. SAS drives in a raid 10
> (plus hot spares if you can) if you want exceptional speed as well.

yep, already specified 16gig....contemplating the drives still, might
get 4 x 73s, 2 in a raid 1 for /var/spool/mqueue and 2 for the
rest....that way I split logging and the mail queue....however they say
the mail queue is best served by a raid5 for fast reads (makes
sense)....which means 3 disks, so a 5 disk+ chassis which means a Dell
2950 and not a 1950....(which only holds 4). I am looking at the disk
i/o at the moment on the old box to see if the present setup is doing
Ok, so far the aforementioned 4 disk setup looks OK.

I find it interesting that most people only think of disks in terms of
capacity....like I often have discussions with people who say "why do
you need more disks? 2 x 300 gig is heaps of space!!!" I am having bun
fights over these and proxy servers....and if I want to go up a chassis
size (from 1U to 2U) I also have to go through agro....

Then there is the SAN, we got a "product" to "reclaim space" So at
present we are running over multiple 8+1 R5s. So now the expectation is
that we will recover some of this for "other use". Of course cutting the
disk numbers by half means a huge hit on the disk i/o capability.....

:/

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:

> ....contemplating the drives still, might
> get 4 x 73s, 2 in a raid 1 for /var/spool/mqueue ...

A friend of mine mentioned using DRBD to continuously mirror the mail queue
across two physically separate machines. They were able to do a server
upgrade by forcing a failover from the old machine to the new one.