Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WIN XP closing down with error message

WIN XP closing down with error message

Just when you think it is safe to go into the garden again...

I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
of 18 and it will reboot.
It doesn't do this unless I am connected to the 'net. Apart from
this it is perfectly stable.
Any ideas?

impossible

"Just when you think it is safe to go into the garden again..."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
> to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
> of 18 and it will reboot.
> It doesn't do this unless I am connected to the 'net. Apart from
> this it is perfectly stable.
> Any ideas?

You really need to copy down the exact error messge you're getting.
Error "18" doesn't sound like a Windows error -- more like an
application error of some sort. With the exact wording the error, it's
often very ease to track down a solution via Google. You might try
first runnng msconfig to disable all non-essential startup
applications -- then see if you get the same error when you connect to
the net.

impossible

"Mathew Good" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:00:39 +1300, Just when you think it is safe
> to go into the garden again...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
>>to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
>>of 18 and it will reboot.
>>It doesn't do this unless I am connected to the 'net. Apart from
>>this it is perfectly stable.
>>Any ideas?

> Ask this question in the MS XP News groups..

Dish out silly commands like this in the alt.pretend.to.be.a.moderator
newsgroup.

Mathew Good

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
>to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
>of 18 and it will reboot.
>It doesn't do this unless I am connected to the 'net. Apart from
>this it is perfectly stable.
>Any ideas?

Ask this question in the MS XP News groups..

Dave Taylor

Just when you think it is safe to go into the garden again...
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:6tr1m2da1r7td1oc0svfvfkam3b93llcmk@
4ax.com:

> Any ideas?

Check the event log.
Right click on "My Computer", select manage, and look in the event logs for
errors. That should get you started.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Doe

In article <Xns9881C37212819daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
> Just when you think it is safe to go into the garden again...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:6tr1m2da1r7td1oc0svfvfkam3b93llcmk@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > Any ideas?

> Check the event log.
> Right click on "My Computer", select manage, and look in the event logs for
> errors. That should get you started.

Then carry on your own detective work at:
http://eventid.net

--
Duncan

Dave Taylor

Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz:

> Then carry on your own detective work at:
> http://eventid.net

On an unbroken computer... Since the OP has surfing problems.
Maybe firefox?

--
Ciao, Dave

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Just when you think
it is safe to go into the garden again... wrote:

> I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
> to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
> of 18 and it will reboot.

There was a Dimdows virus, from last year I think it was, that presented
this sort of thing as a symptom.