Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > International P2P badly shaped on Orcon 30GB FS

International P2P badly shaped on Orcon 30GB FS

David

I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

Collector»NZ

David wrote:
> I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
> never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
> it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
> According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
> be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
> the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

Have similar situation here on Orcon.

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

whome

news:455fcd49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed never
> goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and it soon
> drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s). According to
> Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only be experiencing
> a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all the time. Anyone
> experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

stop stealing music and porn?

Zipper

David wrote:
> I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
> never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
> it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
> According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
> be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
> the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

Yes I have the same problem. I moved to FS/FS very soon after the new
deals and I got great speeds on some torrents. A few days later as I
assume more and more were moved to FS connections things really started
getting slow. Now like you I struggle to get above 30kbytes on a FS
speed plan. I am wondering why I left the 256kbit plan in fact. I am
paying double the price and getting no increase in speed now, except on
downloading http. It doesn't seem to make a difference what hour
either, the torrents go slow at 3am, 5am whenever.

I wrote to Orcon about the issue and they said it _could_ be congestion
at my exchange and that exchanges are being upgraded around NZ to deal
with the extra traffic but that doesn't explain why http goes quickly
and torrents that are heavily seeded (40 seeds per peer) come down at
snails pace and I can see the other peers overseas downloading at
400kbytes + on the same torrent.

Ho hum

Finch

Dick.

whome wrote:

> stop stealing music and porn?

Finch

Not an uncommon issue, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding
as a starting point. I've found that setting up port forwarding if you
can helps.

David wrote:
<snip>

Rupert Boleyn

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:10:04 +1300, David wrote:

> I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
> never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
> it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
> According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
> be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
> the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

I was experiencing that a few months back on my ihug account (before they
were shaping, or at least before they owned up to it). I've wondered if
someone if shaping PtP traffic through the off-shore cpnnections.

--
Rupert Boleyn <(E-Mail Removed)>

Tony

>> stop stealing music and porn?

I think this is a fair comment actually.

-=rjh=-

Tony wrote:

>>> stop stealing music and porn?

> I think this is a fair comment actually.

Please explain why.

steve

David wrote:

> I'm getting less than 20kB/s on several well seeded torrents. Speed
> never goes above 30kB/s, except when I first open my torrent client, and
> it soon drops down. National torrents run at full speed (400kB/s).
> According to Orcon's FAQ which I read before signing up, I should only
> be experiencing a slight drop in p2p speeds at peak times. It's slow all
> the time. Anyone experiencing anything similar? Is complaining worthwhile?

I have seen speeds of over 100kb / second.....but only at off-peak.

I suspect they are happy to let P2P thrash the lines provided other,
higher-priority, traffic isn't impacted.

I typically download overnight and the throughput is fine.

ANNC: Reliable Software LLC Advances P2P Version Control technology by including a P2P Wiki and Bug Database with the upcoming release of Code Co-op 5.0 relisoft C++ 1 07-11-2006 12:12 AM
Orcon on P2p kevin cosgrove NZ Computing 7 10-01-2005 01:13 AM
Rant: Orcon and P2P Mark NZ Computing 15 08-09-2005 06:17 AM
Orcon and P2P: Limiting? Mark NZ Computing 21 07-17-2005 08:39 PM
Is orcon limiting p2p bandwidth on UBS? Bottle Boy NZ Computing 36 02-23-2005 11:54 PM

Advertisments