Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Spamhaus Top 10

Spamhaus Top 10

Anony Mouse

I see Spamhaus has been doing a little improvement...

The three people that I have been publicly naming for nearly a year now
come in at numbers 1, 2 and 4...

Funny that.

It is time they are lined up against the wall...

Anony Mouse

peterwn

Anony Mouse wrote:
> I see Spamhaus has been doing a little improvement...
>
> The three people that I have been publicly naming for nearly a year now
> come in at numbers 1, 2 and 4...
>
> Funny that.
>
> It is time they are lined up against the wall...

But note that Spamhaus is effectively a voluntary network of those
dedicated to controlling spam.
Someone needs to detect the source of spam which is easier said than
done when it appears to be coming from infected 'spambot' computers.

Anony Mouse

peterwn wrote:
> Anony Mouse wrote:
>
>>I see Spamhaus has been doing a little improvement...
>>
>>The three people that I have been publicly naming for nearly a year now
>> come in at numbers 1, 2 and 4...
>>
>>Funny that.
>>
>>It is time they are lined up against the wall...
>>

> But note that Spamhaus is effectively a voluntary network of those
> dedicated to controlling spam.
> Someone needs to detect the source of spam which is easier said than
> done when it appears to be coming from infected 'spambot' computers.

Yeah right...
Again another uninformed person...

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com...230537,00.html

Spam has surged to unprecedented levels in recent weeks, and one
researcher has uncovered a major factor behind the onslaught.
A Russian gang of spammers used the SpamThru Trojan to engineer a tidal
wave of junk mail hawking everything from stocks to pills, according to
an analysis from Joe Stewart, senior security researcher for
Atlanta-based SecureWorks Inc.

Stewart concluded that the spammers used the Trojan to grow a botnet of
more than 70,000 machines that were used to churn out wave after wave of
junk mail advertising pharmaceuticals and pump-and-dump stock schemes.

Working with the antispam group SpamHaus and the ISP, SecureWorks was
able to access and analyze files from the SpamThru control server,
Stewart said in the analysis report. In total, he said, zombie PCs in
166 different countries are part of the SpamThru botnet.

Peter Huebner

In article <ejo15m$s6l$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Yeah right...
> Again another uninformed person...

Jeez mate, was that remark really necessary? The rest of your post would've
been an interesting and informative contribution, if only you had left these
two lines out.

As it is, you have flagged yourself as an arrogant so and so with insufficient
social skills, and given the remainder of your post a bad smell.

None of my business you might say. Whatever. I just thought I'd give you a
little feedback about how that kind of behaviour comes across to bystanders.

f.w.i.w. -Peter

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>None of my business you might say. Whatever. I just thought I'd give you a
>little feedback about how that kind of behaviour comes across to bystanders.

You've been here long enough to know that many of the posters here don't
have social and communications skills as their main strengths. A few seconds
with Google Groups search would have shown you that (a) Mr Mouse is one of
those people, (b) his "main strength" is spam and spammers, of which he has
an encyclopaedic knowledge, and (c) that he suffers from a painful condition
that leaves him rather short-tempered at times. The other Peter's naive but
well-meant post probably caught him at a bad time. It doesn't excuse the
behaviour, of course, but it's understandable.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

thingy

peterwn wrote:
> Anony Mouse wrote:
>> I see Spamhaus has been doing a little improvement...
>>
>> The three people that I have been publicly naming for nearly a year now
>> come in at numbers 1, 2 and 4...
>>
>> Funny that.
>>
>> It is time they are lined up against the wall...
>>

> But note that Spamhaus is effectively a voluntary network of those
> dedicated to controlling spam.
> Someone needs to detect the source of spam which is easier said than
> done when it appears to be coming from infected 'spambot' computers.

There seems to be a lot of work going in this direction. There was a
fairly recent article showing the sophistication of a bot control
"centre" I think it would have done any legit commercial company
proud...things like sub-grouping the bots into 500 odd per
group....bandwidth, location....Unlike spanhaus though these guys are
making 10s of millions so are spending on R&D and are probably winning
the tech race......Our best chance is they have to come to us to deliver
so we guard the gates....from users...but then the users...gawd....

50% odd percent of the bots were XP SP2...so much for MS's improved
security paying off....

The image spam is actually taking our servers off line (as sendmail goes
over 10 frequently, plus exchange overloads on cpu and storage!!) so are
probably going to have to buy 1 if not 2 new servers to cope....thats
$45K that just flew out the window....no benefit to the business, just a
cost....

regards

Thing

Peter Huebner

In article <4560a141$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)y says...

> 50% odd percent of the bots were XP SP2...so much for MS's improved
> security paying off....

rotfl. Well, according to Mickeysoft we don't need two way firewalls.
{sic}

-Peter

thingy

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <4560a141$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)y says...
>> 50% odd percent of the bots were XP SP2...so much for MS's improved
>> security paying off....
>>

> rotfl. Well, according to Mickeysoft we don't need two way firewalls.
> {sic}
>
> -Peter

yes well.....I don't run a 2 way one, but then if I did and the box got
owned, it would get turned off anyway so not much point....

Lots of security things according to MS dont stack up in the real
world....its one huge c*ck up...

I'd like to see legislation forcing ISP's to take ownership of the
problem caused by customer's PCs because voluntary processes mean diddly
squat, ISPs just ignore the problem. Something like the DRM/publishing
rules in the US, whereby if an ISP takes a subscriber off line quickly
as the PC has been botnetted. The ISP is not held responsible....the
customer is then forced to fix it or get another ISP....tough talk but
needed IMHO, the distributed attacks are causing mayhem.....

regards

Thing

Anony Mouse

Don Hills wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>None of my business you might say. Whatever. I just thought I'd give you a
>>little feedback about how that kind of behaviour comes across to bystanders.

> You've been here long enough to know that many of the posters here don't
> have social and communications skills as their main strengths.

And even less brains and balls.

If this is a dig at my social skills, which it most likely is, you have
no idea what my social skills are or for that matter what other
activities I am an active participate in.

If you have poked around you will see that I am an Amateur Radio
Operator, an electronics enthusiast, a Linux user and long time
participant (An Op) on a well known Linux Help IRC channel.

You will also find reference to my programming efforts.

I have been a serving committee member of my local table tennis club,
rugby club, rowing club, a volunteer fire fighter and most recently the
founding secretary of an organization promoting wireless data and
broadband (Telecom, Vodafone, Lucent and the likes).

That I call a spade a spade I have no problem with however saying I have
no social or communications skills is a bit pathetic to say the least.

> A few seconds
> with Google Groups search would have shown you that (a) Mr Mouse is one of
> those people,

The message is pretty clear. Idiots that sit around and do nothing will
see email as we know it destroyed by spammers.

I sight Things post in this same thread. Now he knows me a little.
He also posts on topic information with current knowledge.

You on the other hand add nothing to the thread other than the fact that
you are a pathetic Luser with nothing to add. It is so easy to pick your
type out from the crowd. Did it make you feel better trying to insult me?

> (b) his "main strength" is spam and spammers, of which he has
> an encyclopaedic knowledge, and

You missed one thing. I have the necessary skills to fend off scummy
spammers when they attack me and my computer systems.

Why do I do it... Because I can... Simple as that. I don't even care
that much if the email system does fall over in fact it suites my cause
if it does. If you don't like me saying I told you so that is just
tough. Wake up and get up off your fat lazy arse.

(c) that he suffers from a painful condition
> that leaves him rather short-tempered at times.

Wrong... I am short tempered all the time however that has nothing to do
with spamming or news groups. In fact unless someone has something
intelligent to say most comments are just ignored.

Saying that someone is uninformed is a simple fact and when that is
followed by the actual facts speaks for itself.

Having said that there is the odd dick head such as you that deserve a
serve up.

As for Huebner. Who pulled his chain. His post is off topic and what
business is it of his when I tell someone that they need to do a bit
more reading before they post what can only be described as bull ****.

Just another excuse to do nothing...

> The other Peter's naive but
> well-meant post probably caught him at a bad time.

Well he is a little better informed now and I dare say he will get over
being told that he is uninformed.

> It doesn't excuse the
> behaviour, of course, but it's understandable.

Understand this Don. Get out of my face. Don't post off topic bullshit
in my threads and don't bother replying to this post.

You are a waste of space!

Anony Mouse

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)y says...

> yes well.....I don't run a 2 way one, but then if I did and the box got
> owned, it would get turned off anyway so not much point....

Depends. Turning off a really good two-way is no easy feat. What I _have_ seen
is for installation of anti-vir and two-way firewalls being forestalled by
malware (and I got around that with a really good **old, old** version of Kerio
that was no longer recognized by the malware - once that was in place I had no
further problems identifying and killing off the gremlins

If anything DOES manage to turn off the firewall on my pc, it'll take all
networking functionality down with it. That's as it should be, i.m.o.

[snip]
> tough talk but
> needed IMHO, the distributed attacks are causing mayhem.....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I agree, mostly. I see too many lusers a bit like people driving cars with no
wof, rusted chassis and worn brakes (and no license - e.g. basic understanding
of what they are doing - in many cases). They *should* be made to take
responsibility for their machines in some way. What compounds these people's
problems is that they get all this {crock} included with their OS and they are
made to believe that that's going to do the trick, automagically. <big sigh>

-P.