Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > scammers using seek?

scammers using seek?

thingy

just got an email from the usual bunch offering "easy financial work",
this time though via an email address I used to use on seek....

Anybody got the same thing?

regards

Thing

Mark C

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> thingy wrote:
>> just got an email from the usual bunch offering "easy financial
>> work", this time though via an email address I used to use on
>> seek....
>>

> A number of these arrived today from varuious different
> senders...
>
> Good afternoon.
> I got your resume from SEEK Australia job-site and it
> suites our company requirements.
> My name is Roger Longbotham, I represent George Metway
> Inc company located in Europe.
> ... etc etc etc
>
> Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email
> database.

I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.

Dave Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1163747830.905124.81940
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email database.

Agreed.

--
Ciao, Dave

James McLaughlin

On 17 Nov 2006 07:51:39 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
>> thingy wrote:
>>> just got an email from the usual bunch offering "easy financial
>>> work", this time though via an email address I used to use on
>>> seek....
>>>

>> A number of these arrived today from varuious different
>> senders...
>>
>> Good afternoon.
>> I got your resume from SEEK Australia job-site and it
>> suites our company requirements.
>> My name is Roger Longbotham, I represent George Metway
>> Inc company located in Europe.
>> ... etc etc etc
>>
>> Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email
>> database.

>I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.

I've also never had anything to do with Seek, and I got three.
I'd say it's more likely they've harvested names from the NZ and Aust
newsgroups. I used to use my real address here.

JM

Rob

James McLaughlin wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2006 07:51:39 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

>>> A number of these arrived today from varuious different
>>> senders...
>>>
>>> Good afternoon.
>>> I got your resume from SEEK Australia job-site and it
>>> suites our company requirements.
>>> My name is Roger Longbotham, I represent George Metway
>>> Inc company located in Europe.
>>> ... etc etc etc
>>>
>>> Some scammer must have found a way to harvest seek's email
>>> database.

>> I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.

> I've also never had anything to do with Seek, and I got three.
> I'd say it's more likely they've harvested names from the NZ and Aust
> newsgroups. I used to use my real address here.
>
> JM

I haven't used my real addy on newsgroups for years and I've had a few
of the job offer crap. The only time I give real email is signing up for
forums & the rare comp (virtual super14 etc). I'm very careful who gets
my addy, and I only get 2 - 3 spam a day, peaked at ~15 a month or so
back when the spammers started using the gif method, but back to normal now.

--

Rob

C Programmers do it recursively.

Collector»NZ

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I've never been anywhere near SEEK and I got one.

>> I've also never had anything to do with Seek, and I got three.
>> I'd say it's more likely they've harvested names from the NZ and Aust
>> newsgroups. I used to use my real address here.

> Just shows, cast a wide enough net and you're sure to strike it lucky
> sometime. I just presumed because I had used that address at Seek that
> must have been how they got it, now that I think about it, I'm not sure
> I have used that address at Seek.

Seek has had it's address database compromised in the past.
I have a domain name and am able to have unlimited email addresses, with seek I
used my normal habit of giving an address that clearly identified the site so
if I received spam at that address I would know where it was obtained.

So when a whole lot of spam email aimed at job candidates arrive at
(E-Mail Removed) I knew that the address had been obtained from Seek's database.

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |