Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > hopefully simple network help wanted...

hopefully simple network help wanted...

brazen

Hi there

I have added a new computer to our network and thought I had set it up
ok (NIS firewall, file sharing etc) and tested that I could access
other computers ok, but found that others were having problems
accessing the new comp. The new comp is visible under the network in
Microsoft Windows Network but when you click on it a password required
box pops up.

We dont have any passwords on our system and all comps have MyDocs as
fully shared.

Its not the NIS firewall as I have disabled that and it still happens.
Its not Windows Firewall as that is disabled too.

Anyone have any clues as to why this password box is popping up. I've
added comps to the network before with no problems. Its WinXP Pro

Thanks in advance

Gay

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> Hi there
>
> I have added a new computer to our network and thought I had set it up
> ok (NIS firewall, file sharing etc) and tested that I could access
> other computers ok, but found that others were having problems
> accessing the new comp. The new comp is visible under the network in
> Microsoft Windows Network but when you click on it a password required
> box pops up.
>
> We dont have any passwords on our system and all comps have MyDocs as
> fully shared.
>
> Its not the NIS firewall as I have disabled that and it still happens.
> Its not Windows Firewall as that is disabled too.
>
> Anyone have any clues as to why this password box is popping up. I've
> added comps to the network before with no problems. Its WinXP Pro

Is it in the same "workgroup"? (Control Panel, System, Computer Name
(tab), Change (button), Workgroup). Hope that's right, that's off my
W2K3 Server test machine.

OK, you've enabled File & Printer sharing, have you shared something?

--
Duncan

brazen

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Hi there
> >
> > I have added a new computer to our network and thought I had set it up
> > ok (NIS firewall, file sharing etc) and tested that I could access
> > other computers ok, but found that others were having problems
> > accessing the new comp. The new comp is visible under the network in
> > Microsoft Windows Network but when you click on it a password required
> > box pops up.
> >
> > We dont have any passwords on our system and all comps have MyDocs as
> > fully shared.
> >
> > Its not the NIS firewall as I have disabled that and it still happens.
> > Its not Windows Firewall as that is disabled too.
> >
> > Anyone have any clues as to why this password box is popping up. I've
> > added comps to the network before with no problems. Its WinXP Pro

> Is it in the same "workgroup"? (Control Panel, System, Computer Name
> (tab), Change (button), Workgroup). Hope that's right, that's off my
> W2K3 Server test machine.

Yes they are in the same workgroup.

> OK, you've enabled File & Printer sharing, have you shared something?

Yes I have shared MyDocs

Gay

Richard

brazen wrote:

> Yes they are in the same workgroup.
>
>> OK, you've enabled File & Printer sharing, have you shared something?
>>

> Yes I have shared MyDocs

Is simple file sharing turned on? I turn it off as a matter of cource,
but it needs to be on for no passwords sharing to work.

brazen

Richard wrote:
> brazen wrote:
>
> > Yes they are in the same workgroup.
> >
> >> OK, you've enabled File & Printer sharing, have you shared something?
> >>

> > Yes I have shared MyDocs

> Is simple file sharing turned on? I turn it off as a matter of cource,
> but it needs to be on for no passwords sharing to work.

where abouts do I do that?

Gay

impossible

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Richard wrote:
>> brazen wrote:
>>
>> > Yes they are in the same workgroup.

>> > Yes I have shared MyDocs

>> Is simple file sharing turned on? I turn it off as a matter of
>> cource,
>> but it needs to be on for no passwords sharing to work.

> where abouts do I do that?

From Explorer. go Tools | Folder Options | View ....then scroll to
bottom, check "Use simple file sharing..."

brazen

impossible wrote:
> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Richard wrote:

> >> Is simple file sharing turned on? I turn it off as a matter of
> >> cource,
> >> but it needs to be on for no passwords sharing to work.

> > where abouts do I do that?
> >

> From Explorer. go Tools | Folder Options | View ....then scroll to
> bottom, check "Use simple file sharing..."

Thanks impossible, but that didnt work either. Driving me bananas!!

Gay

impossible

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> impossible wrote:
>> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> > where abouts do I do that?
>> >

>> From Explorer. go Tools | Folder Options | View ....then scroll to
>> bottom, check "Use simple file sharing..."

> Thanks impossible, but that didnt work either. Driving me bananas!!

Did you reboot after making the change?

If you're sure your NIS firewall is configured correctly, then I can't
think what else might be causing the the access problem.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, impossible wrote:

> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>
>> impossible wrote:

>>> From Explorer. go Tools | Folder Options | View ....then scroll to
>>> bottom, check "Use simple file sharing..."

>> Thanks impossible, but that didnt work either. Driving me bananas!!
>>

> Did you reboot after making the change?

Why do you have to reboot Dimdows just to turn a simple service on or off?

brazen

impossible wrote:
> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > impossible wrote:
> >> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> >> From Explorer. go Tools | Folder Options | View ....then scroll to
> >> bottom, check "Use simple file sharing..."

> > Thanks impossible, but that didnt work either. Driving me bananas!!
> >

> Did you reboot after making the change?

yes

> If you're sure your NIS firewall is configured correctly, then I can't
> think what else might be causing the the access problem.

Well I think it is configured correctly, but even if I disable NIS it
still wont let anyone in, so thats why I'm assuming the problem is
elsewhere.

Gay