Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Network saturation problem

Network saturation problem

Craig Shore

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this problem.

My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to the network
switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before that it's run fine for a
long time. I can't say if I installed anything new into it or not, but it's had
lots of updates on stuff already in it, especially WinXP.
Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further than the network switch,
however that appears to have changed as of today. The traffic seemed to be
hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think it was going any further.

The machine scans clean with Avast antivirus, and a rootkit scanner says it's
clean too.

Netstat doesn't reveal anything either.

Once started I don't think it stops doing it on it's own, but a reboot seems to
stop it. It can go days on end with nothing then it starts happening again.

It's running on Windows XP home.

Thoughts?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore wrote:

> My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to the
> network switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before that it's
> run fine for a long time. I can't say if I installed anything new into it
> or not, but it's had lots of updates on stuff already in it, especially
> WinXP. Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further than the
> network switch, however that appears to have changed as of today. The
> traffic seemed to be hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think it
> was going any further.

Try running a sniffer like Ethereal/Wireshark on another machine and
collecting some statistics on which ports/addresses it might be hitting (or
trying to hit), maybe look at a few sample packets to try to get an idea of
what the traffic is about.

Craig Shore

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:39:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore wrote:
>
>> My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to the
>> network switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before that it's
>> run fine for a long time. I can't say if I installed anything new into it
>> or not, but it's had lots of updates on stuff already in it, especially
>> WinXP. Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further than the
>> network switch, however that appears to have changed as of today. The
>> traffic seemed to be hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think it
>> was going any further.

>Try running a sniffer like Ethereal/Wireshark on another machine and
>collecting some statistics on which ports/addresses it might be hitting (or
>trying to hit), maybe look at a few sample packets to try to get an idea of
>what the traffic is about.

So i'd have to physically wire the two machines together with a crossover cable
to do this right?

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:39:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
> >In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore wrote:
> >
> >> My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to the
> >> network switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before that it's
> >> run fine for a long time. I can't say if I installed anything new into it
> >> or not, but it's had lots of updates on stuff already in it, especially
> >> WinXP. Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further than the
> >> network switch, however that appears to have changed as of today. The
> >> traffic seemed to be hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think it
> >> was going any further.

> >Try running a sniffer like Ethereal/Wireshark on another machine and
> >collecting some statistics on which ports/addresses it might be hitting (or
> >trying to hit), maybe look at a few sample packets to try to get an idea of
> >what the traffic is about.

> So i'd have to physically wire the two machines together with a crossover cable
> to do this right?

Don't see why you just can't run Ethereal on *the* machine.

--
Duncan

steve

Craig Shore wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this problem.
>
> My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to the
> network
> switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before that it's run fine
> for a long time. I can't say if I installed anything new into it or not,
> but it's had lots of updates on stuff already in it, especially WinXP.
> Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further than the network
> switch,
> however that appears to have changed as of today. The traffic seemed to
> be hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think it was going any
> further.
>
> The machine scans clean with Avast antivirus, and a rootkit scanner says
> it's clean too.
>
> Netstat doesn't reveal anything either.
>
> Once started I don't think it stops doing it on it's own, but a reboot
> seems to
> stop it. It can go days on end with nothing then it starts happening
> again.
>
> It's running on Windows XP home.
>
> Thoughts?

Could be your network card is failing......

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:39:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Craig Shore
>>wrote:
>>
>>> My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to the
>>> network switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before that
>>> it's run fine for a long time. I can't say if I installed anything new
>>> into it or not, but it's had lots of updates on stuff already in it,
>>> especially WinXP. Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further
>>> than the
>>> network switch, however that appears to have changed as of today. The
>>> traffic seemed to be hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think it
>>> was going any further.

>>Try running a sniffer like Ethereal/Wireshark on another machine and
>>collecting some statistics on which ports/addresses it might be hitting
>>(or trying to hit), maybe look at a few sample packets to try to get an
>>idea of what the traffic is about.

> So i'd have to physically wire the two machines together with a crossover
> cable to do this right?

No, just plug the sniffer machine into another port on your switch.

~misfit~

Craig Shore wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this problem.
>
> My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to
> the network switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before
> that it's run fine for a long time. I can't say if I installed
> anything new into it or not, but it's had lots of updates on stuff
> already in it, especially WinXP.
> Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further than the network
> switch, however that appears to have changed as of today. The
> traffic seemed to be hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think
> it was going any further.
>
> The machine scans clean with Avast antivirus, and a rootkit scanner
> says it's clean too.
>
> Netstat doesn't reveal anything either.
>
> Once started I don't think it stops doing it on it's own, but a
> reboot seems to stop it. It can go days on end with nothing then it
> starts happening again.
>
> It's running on Windows XP home.
>
> Thoughts?

This could be related to my problem too. I'm running XP pro and I have to
keep rebooting to get good connection speeds. It started a few weeks ago as
well. It seems to bog down after a few hours. I have a combo, 4-port ADSL
router. I thought it might be something to do with one of the Windows
updates of late as well.
--
Shaun.

Richard

~misfit~ wrote:

> This could be related to my problem too. I'm running XP pro and I have to
> keep rebooting to get good connection speeds. It started a few weeks ago as
> well. It seems to bog down after a few hours. I have a combo, 4-port ADSL
> router. I thought it might be something to do with one of the Windows
> updates of late as well.

I have had that happen, it seems to be something goes wrong between the
switch and the nic, one end was showing 100 meg half duplex while the
nic icon in windows was on gigabit. Lights all flashing, nothing
happening. - pulling and replugging solves it.

Malcolm

~misfit~ wrote:

> Craig Shore wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this problem.
>>
>> My media pc keeps on occasion saturating it's network connection to
>> the network switch. It started happening about 4 weeks ago, before
>> that it's run fine for a long time. I can't say if I installed
>> anything new into it or not, but it's had lots of updates on stuff
>> already in it, especially WinXP.
>> Every time it's done it so far it's gone no further than the network
>> switch, however that appears to have changed as of today. The
>> traffic seemed to be hitting the adsl modem today, but I don't think
>> it was going any further.
>>
>> The machine scans clean with Avast antivirus, and a rootkit scanner
>> says it's clean too.
>>
>> Netstat doesn't reveal anything either.
>>
>> Once started I don't think it stops doing it on it's own, but a
>> reboot seems to stop it. It can go days on end with nothing then it
>> starts happening again.
>>
>> It's running on Windows XP home.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> This could be related to my problem too. I'm running XP pro and I have to
> keep rebooting to get good connection speeds. It started a few weeks ago
> as well. It seems to bog down after a few hours. I have a combo, 4-port
> ADSL router. I thought it might be something to do with one of the Windows
> updates of late as well.

Hi
It may be broadcast traffic, install wireshark (ethereal) and do some
captures. There are some other tools here;

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.21-0.25-smp

Stu Fleming

Richard wrote:

> I have had that happen, it seems to be something goes wrong between the
> switch and the nic, one end was showing 100 meg half duplex while the
> nic icon in windows was on gigabit. Lights all flashing, nothing
> happening. - pulling and replugging solves it.

Autonegotiation is generally broken. Force both ends to be known
speed/duplex settings.