Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telstra broadband - what's the speed like?

Telstra broadband - what's the speed like?

Adam Rosner

I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).

My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
speedtest)

Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
not really good value for money when you consider the competition...

What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?

Earl Grey

Adam Rosner wrote:
> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
> advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
>
> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
> broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
> getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
> speedtest)
>
> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
> not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
>
> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?

It doesn't seem to change
3874 down 1447 up

If it ****s up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
because they can't pay their bill.

But the speeds are always good.

Dave Doe

In article <4558e256$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Adam Rosner wrote:
> > I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
> > advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
> >
> > My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
> > broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
> > getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
> > speedtest)
> >
> > Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
> > not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
> >
> > What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
> >

> It doesn't seem to change
> 3874 down 1447 up
>
> If it ****s up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
> because they can't pay their bill.
>
> But the speeds are always good.

Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.

--
Duncan

whome

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <4558e256$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Adam Rosner wrote:
>> > I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
>> > advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
>> >
>> > My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
>> > broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
>> > getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
>> > speedtest)
>> >
>> > Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
>> > not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
>> >
>> > What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
>> >

>> It doesn't seem to change
>> 3874 down 1447 up
>>
>> If it ****s up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
>> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
>> because they can't pay their bill.
>>
>> But the speeds are always good.

> Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
> good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.
>
> --
> Duncan

it can be hard to say, if the site is causing the slowdown or the ISP.

Earl Grey

whome wrote:
> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...

>>> It doesn't seem to change
>>> 3874 down 1447 up
>>>
>>> If it ****s up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
>>> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
>>> because they can't pay their bill.
>>>
>>> But the speeds are always good.

>> Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
>> good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.
>>
>> --
>> Duncan

> it can be hard to say, if the site is causing the slowdown or the ISP.

Telstra periodically times out on their mailserver and newsserver for
extended periods before their service comes back to normal.
Its good when its working but I wouldn't recommend their reliability

Allistar

Earl Grey wrote:

> Adam Rosner wrote:
>> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
>> advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
>>
>> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
>> broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
>> getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
>> speedtest)
>>
>> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
>> not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
>>
>> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
>>

> It doesn't seem to change
> 3874 down 1447 up

I'm on a 3.5Mb/s down, 512kb/s up plan with TelstraClear and speeds are
fine. My modem actually connects at 7616kb/s and 864kb/s, I regularly get
close to 3.5Mb/s down, depending on the site.

> If it ****s up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the month
> because they can't pay their bill.

I now use a commercial provider (Giganews) and haven't regretted it.

> But the speeds are always good.

Allistar.

Finch

I'm on the 10 Megabit plan... I find that:

- When it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. Trying to get anyone to
help you out of standard business hours results in "Reboot" "I'll book
a technician". I have waited WEEKS sometimes to get resolution on
faults.
- Local internet is uber fast, matches what they say.
- International is slow. Really slow at times.

Personally, I have heard really good things about www.gasp.co.nz - I'd
switch but they don't cover my area yet.

Adam Rosner wrote:
> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like the
> advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT adsl).
>
> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
> broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans I'm
> getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to nzdsl.co.nz
> speedtest)
>
> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
> not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
>
> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?

Dave Taylor

Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz:

> Would concur (I'm in ChCh on cable). If you get good sites, you get
> good speeds. Otherwise... erm... yer don't.

I am in chch too, and on tc cable. I agree that national is almost
always fast, but that international is nowhere near my 4 megabit. I
know this web site has lots of bandwidth to push with, so that is not
it. Using winmtr, I have found congestion at TC's upstream provider.
So basically, just like Telecom, they just rate the spead between you
and their head end, which is usually only one or two hops on a tracert.
Tool:
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/
Bad hop:
ae-32-56.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net - 44% packet loss
Web site:
researchchannel.org

International seems to have poor performance from any ISP in NZ, and it
does not seem to matter who you ISP is. Don't say it is because the pipe
is full, here are the facts on why that argument is void:
http://www.karen.net.nz/home/

--
Ciao, Dave

juicyjuice

Allistar wrote:
> Earl Grey wrote:
>
>> Adam Rosner wrote:
>>> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like
>>> the advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT
>>> adsl).
>>>
>>> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use
>>> Xtra broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed"
>>> plans I'm getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according
>>> to nzdsl.co.nz speedtest)
>>>
>>> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports,
>>> and not really good value for money when you consider the
>>> competition...
>>>
>>> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?
>>>

>> It doesn't seem to change
>> 3874 down 1447 up

> I'm on a 3.5Mb/s down, 512kb/s up plan with TelstraClear and speeds
> are fine. My modem actually connects at 7616kb/s and 864kb/s, I
> regularly get close to 3.5Mb/s down, depending on the site.
>
>> If it ****s up, no one can ever tell you what is going on.
>> Their international newsgroups stop updating half way through the
>> month because they can't pay their bill.

> I now use a commercial provider (Giganews) and haven't regretted it.
>
>> But the speeds are always good.

> Allistar.

Adam specifically said NOT ADSL

juicyjuice

Adam Rosner wrote:
> I'll be interested to know whether people are getting anything like
> the advertised speeds on Telstra broadband (specifically cable, NOT
> adsl).
>
> My area (Lower Hutt) is in the coverage area, but I currently use Xtra
> broadband. Despite being on one of the supposedly "unleashed" plans
> I'm getting 2 meg down and 450k up on a good day. (according to
> nzdsl.co.nz speedtest)
>
> Far cry from the 3.5 down/640 up carrier speeds my router reports, and
> not really good value for money when you consider the competition...
>
> What's the evening/weekend slowdown like on Telstra?

I have quite a bit of experience with Telstra, as I was with them for nearly
2 years in Australia.
Their customer service is 'scripted', meaning, those who first answer the
phone basically have no clue about anything except what the script in front
of them tells them. Which is great for common problems and n00bs.. problems
are sorted very quickly. But for us more adapt users its very painful. Once
you have worked out their system like I have, its easy to jump these guys
and get to someone decent, in fact my calls are answered within a few
minutes these days. I dispute that earlier poster about late night/early
morning calls, it depends on how you operate your choices on the automated
phone system I've been answered within 2 minutes by a top level
technician at 2am.

I have never had any problems with Telstra's side of speed to the Internet,
my speed has always been my maximum (10mbit), even with International sites
that can provide or do not cap the speed. I've only noticed minor slowdown
in peaktimes once, and that was quite recently, last friday i think, but
still above what adsl users get.

Reliabiltiy was kinda flakey in my first month (august-sept) - with one
night in september of a 5 hour outage, but since then it has been pretty
solid. I do have my firewall pinging their gateway router, and it does
register minor minute outages in early 5am mornings every few days, but
nothing to jump up and down about, prolly maintenance. Reliability in
Australia was actually worse, but that was a few years ago on ADSL.

Billing is a nightmare with Telstra, always has been, same in Australia,
fine if you dont change anything, but if you say change plans, or have some
option that isn't norm, like a so called granted free month, then hell..
trying to get the invoices right, can take several phone calls. But they are
very understanding and helphful and usually rectify any problems, sooner or
later lol

Overall, I would say that TC Cable is probabaly the only broadband choice in
NZ capable of actually delivering what they advertise.