Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox memory leak

Reply
Thread Tools

Firefox memory leak

 
 
juicyjuice
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
I run Firefox on Windows 2003 Server, I noticed the memory leak with v1.5x
but thought it might be the sites I am visiting or maybe Firefox 2 will fix
it, but no. It is horrid, so horrid I might have to revert to earlier
version before 1.5 where I had no problems..

At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this open,
goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb, if I
leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of physical
ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
with Firefox2.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
k
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
juicyjuice wrote:
> I run Firefox on Windows 2003 Server, I noticed the memory leak with v1.5x
> but thought it might be the sites I am visiting or maybe Firefox 2 will fix
> it, but no. It is horrid, so horrid I might have to revert to earlier
> version before 1.5 where I had no problems..
>
> At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this open,
> goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb, if I
> leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of physical
> ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.
>
> Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
> with Firefox2.
>
>


old news dude, google it for the option to disable this "feature"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JMarchesoni@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006

k wrote:
> juicyjuice wrote:
> > I run Firefox on Windows 2003 Server, I noticed the memory leak with v1.5x
> > but thought it might be the sites I am visiting or maybe Firefox 2 will fix
> > it, but no. It is horrid, so horrid I might have to revert to earlier
> > version before 1.5 where I had no problems..
> >
> > At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this open,
> > goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb, if I
> > leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of physical
> > ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
> > with Firefox2.
> >
> >

>
> old news dude, google it for the option to disable this "feature"


150? Mine today actually reached 1500! I had a flash page open, and
I've had the same problem with Adobe Reader. Could you give me a
little more info about what to search for to fix it?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
In message <4555e0e3$(E-Mail Removed)>, juicyjuice wrote:

> At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this
> open, goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb,
> if I leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of
> physical ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.


Doesn't happen on Linux.
 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <4555e0e3$(E-Mail Removed)>, juicyjuice wrote:
>
>> At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this
>> open, goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb,
>> if I leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of
>> physical ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

>
> Doesn't happen on Linux.


True.

Though i don't usually leave my browser open for more than the few minutes I
actually have it in use.

I used to be a mainframe performance analyst and have long since grown used
to closing programs that aren't in active use in order to free up memory
and improve performance for those programs that are in active use.

It just makes sense.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aquilegia Alyssum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, juicyjuice wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
> with Firefox2.


No.

I don't use M$ Windows


Aquilegia Alyssum

--
"The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its
entire client-server infrastructure."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Invisible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2006
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:54:54 +1300, Aquilegia Alyssum
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, juicyjuice wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
>> with Firefox2.

>
>No.
>
>I don't use M$ Windows
>


2 nyms in 2 days Ma Hog? Get a life.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2006
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, steve wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <4555e0e3$(E-Mail Removed)>, juicyjuice wrote:
>>
>>> At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this
>>> open, goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb,
>>> if I leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of
>>> physical ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

>>
>> Doesn't happen on Linux.

>
> True.
>
> Though i don't usually leave my browser open for more than the few minutes
> I actually have it in use.


I regularly leave Firefox and other apps open for days on end.

> I used to be a mainframe performance analyst and have long since grown
> used to closing programs that aren't in active use in order to free up
> memory and improve performance for those programs that are in active use.


On modern virtual-memory systems, I rely on the OS to automatically swap out
stuff that isn't in active use and free up RAM that way.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aquilegia Alyssum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2006
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:15:41 +1300, Invisible wrote:

> 2 nyms in 2 days Ma Hog? Get a life.


Yeah - it's called deciding that I didn't like the other one, which is why
I changed it after only a few days.


Aquilegia Alyssum

--
"The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its
entire client-server infrastructure."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aquilegia Alyssum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2006
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:30:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On modern virtual-memory systems, I rely on the OS to automatically swap out
> stuff that isn't in active use and free up RAM that way.


Since I added more RAM to my desktop box I haven't used the swapfile. )


Aquilegia Alyssum

--
"The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its
entire client-server infrastructure."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefox memory leak? Roger_Nickel NZ Computing 9 04-21-2007 10:38 PM
Leak or no leak ?? Richard Heathfield C Programming 4 07-10-2006 11:37 AM
Dynamic memory allocation and memory leak... s.subbarayan C Programming 10 03-22-2005 02:48 PM
Firefox memory leak ttfg Firefox 4 03-18-2005 06:32 PM
Firefox Memory Leak? Scott Moseman Firefox 2 02-09-2005 03:52 PM



Advertisments