Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best ISP to move to?

Best ISP to move to?

grumpyoldhori

Damn,I got the pip with Xtra so moved to Slingshot,yesterday
I was getting dial up speeds.
This morning getting around 256k,not good.
So people who has not had speed problems,and yes I realise they
are selling Telecoms service.
So which ISP is reliable,any?
Oh,what speeds are you getting at the moment on full rate plans
Otago punters?

grumpy

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:43:50 +1300, grumpyoldhori
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

> Damn,I got the pip with Xtra so moved to Slingshot,yesterday
> I was getting dial up speeds.
> This morning getting around 256k,not good.
> So people who has not had speed problems,and yes I realise they
> are selling Telecoms service.
> So which ISP is reliable,any?
> Oh,what speeds are you getting at the moment on full rate plans
> Otago punters?

Ihug is okay in general, although if I was you I'd wait a month before
changing, until the dust has settled.

poopbunny

Ihug really sucks for gaming.

Also sucks for P2P

Standard web browsing is marginal.

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:43:50 +1300, grumpyoldhori
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>

> > Damn,I got the pip with Xtra so moved to Slingshot,yesterday
> > I was getting dial up speeds.
> > This morning getting around 256k,not good.
> > So people who has not had speed problems,and yes I realise they
> > are selling Telecoms service.
> > So which ISP is reliable,any?
> > Oh,what speeds are you getting at the moment on full rate plans
> > Otago punters?

> Ihug is okay in general, although if I was you I'd wait a month before
> changing, until the dust has settled.

Vista

"grumpyoldhori" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eitprc$t6o$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Damn,I got the pip with Xtra so moved to Slingshot,yesterday
> I was getting dial up speeds.
> This morning getting around 256k,not good.
> So people who has not had speed problems,and yes I realise they
> are selling Telecoms service.
> So which ISP is reliable,any?
> Oh,what speeds are you getting at the moment on full rate plans
> Otago punters?
>
> grumpy

I haven't had that sort of problem with slingshot. My speeds have been good.
It could be that something has happened to your line after the switch, I
would get slingshot to get it tested, as telecom may have made a mistake.

Fred Dagg

>> > Damn,I got the pip with Xtra so moved to Slingshot,yesterday
>> > I was getting dial up speeds.
>> > This morning getting around 256k,not good.
>> > So people who has not had speed problems,and yes I realise they
>> > are selling Telecoms service.
>> > So which ISP is reliable,any?
>> > Oh,what speeds are you getting at the moment on full rate plans
>> > Otago punters?

>> Ihug is okay in general, although if I was you I'd wait a month before
>> changing, until the dust has settled.

>On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 18:54:47 +1300, "poopbunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Ihug really sucks for gaming.

Dunno - don't do much online gaming.

>Also sucks for P2P

Not here it doesn't. I ALWAY max out the connection. I'm on an old
2Mbps plan, though - might be different for others.

>Standard web browsing is marginal.

Again, 95% of the time it is good here.

Andrew Lambert

poopbunny wrote:
> Ihug really sucks for gaming.
>
> Also sucks for P2P
>
> Standard web browsing is marginal.
>

> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:43:50 +1300, grumpyoldhori
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>>
>>> Damn,I got the pip with Xtra so moved to Slingshot,yesterday
>>> I was getting dial up speeds.
>>> This morning getting around 256k,not good.
>>> So people who has not had speed problems,and yes I realise they
>>> are selling Telecoms service.
>>> So which ISP is reliable,any?
>>> Oh,what speeds are you getting at the moment on full rate plans
>>> Otago punters?

>> Ihug is okay in general, although if I was you I'd wait a month before
>> changing, until the dust has settled.

wow, marginal for web browsing, So this is one of the better ones. What
more could we ask for!

Chris Lim

grumpyoldhori wrote:
> Damn,I got the pip with Xtra so moved to Slingshot,yesterday
> I was getting dial up speeds.
> This morning getting around 256k,not good.

I've actually just switched to Xtra from Slingshot and have noticed an
immediate speed increase, at least through the nzdsl.co.nz speed test.
With Slingshot I couldn't get above 1000kbps down, but as soon as I
signed in with my Xtra account I got around 3000kbps. So far my torrent
download speeds haven't changed much, but I haven't downloaded a really
popular one yet.

The weird thing is though, on my router the Data Rate is now showing as
4200 whereas with Slingshot it was showing higher, around 6000. So I
have a lower line speed but a higher actual speed.