Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Getting YouTube videos working

Getting YouTube videos working

Geopelia

I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
then they stop. This keeps happening.
I've clicked every button, but as they don't say what the buttons do, I
don't know which is which. I think Play may be switching back to Pause, is
this possible? If so how do I stop it and keep it playing continuously
please?

Is there something on the YouTube site that I should be looking at for
instructions? If so I'll print it out.
(These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)

Thank you
Geopelia

Chris Lim

Geopelia wrote:
> I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
> then they stop. This keeps happening.

It sounds like the videos are still loading and your connection is too
slow to keep up. In the little progress bar of the video, you should
see two bars, one overlaid on top of the other. One bar represents how
much of the video has loaded, the other represents how much has played.
If the 'played' one catches up to the 'loaded' one then it will pause
and wait for more of the video to load.

I usually pause the video if this happens and wait till the video's
completely loaded before watching the rest.

Geopelia

"Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
>> then they stop. This keeps happening.

> It sounds like the videos are still loading and your connection is too
> slow to keep up. In the little progress bar of the video, you should
> see two bars, one overlaid on top of the other. One bar represents how
> much of the video has loaded, the other represents how much has played.
> If the 'played' one catches up to the 'loaded' one then it will pause
> and wait for more of the video to load.
>
> I usually pause the video if this happens and wait till the video's
> completely loaded before watching the rest.

Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red is
faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the circle.

I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is very
slow.

Thank you
Geopelia

Chris Lim

Geopelia wrote:
> Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red is
> faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
> The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the circle.

Yes sorry, the moving circle shows what part of the video is playing
and the red bar shows what has been loaded. If you pause the video, you
should see the circle stop but the red bar continue to move. Once it's
reached the end, you should be able to play the video again without any
pauses.

Chris

steve

Geopelia wrote:

> I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
> then they stop. This keeps happening.
> I've clicked every button, but as they don't say what the buttons do, I
> don't know which is which. I think Play may be switching back to Pause, is
> this possible? If so how do I stop it and keep it playing continuously
> please?
>
> Is there something on the YouTube site that I should be looking at for
> instructions? If so I'll print it out.
> (These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia

Youtube uses the macromedia flashplayer I think.

Works fine on my Linux systems.

steve

Geopelia wrote:

> I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is very
> slow.

That is a redundant statement.

dial-up IS very slow for streaming video of the size that Youtube delivers.

They are usually 320x240 at 24 frames / second.

That will work - barely - at 256kbps and at your speed (40-50kbps?) you
won't have a hope.

That is why Youtube wasn't really viable until a year or so ago when
broadband became much more common in huge numbers.

~misfit~

Geopelia wrote:
> "Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Geopelia wrote:
> > > I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so
> > > plays, then they stop. This keeps happening.

> > It sounds like the videos are still loading and your connection is
> > too slow to keep up. In the little progress bar of the video, you
> > should see two bars, one overlaid on top of the other. One bar
> > represents how much of the video has loaded, the other represents
> > how much has played. If the 'played' one catches up to the 'loaded'
> > one then it will pause and wait for more of the video to load.
> >
> > I usually pause the video if this happens and wait till the video's
> > completely loaded before watching the rest.
> >

> Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red
> is faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
> The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the
> circle.
> I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is
> very slow.

That's your problem. I have problems with some YouTube videos on
'braodband'.
--
Shaun.

Geopelia

"Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> Do you mean the white top bar just behind the moving circle? (My red is
>> faulty, colour looks like a white bar above a black one).
>> The white bar and the black bar are the same length, touching the circle.

> Yes sorry, the moving circle shows what part of the video is playing
> and the red bar shows what has been loaded. If you pause the video, you
> should see the circle stop but the red bar continue to move. Once it's
> reached the end, you should be able to play the video again without any
> pauses.
>
> Chris

The red bar would be the one that looks black on this monitor. I'll try
pausing.
Thank you
Geopelia

Andrew Lambert

steve wrote:
> Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I can't get YouTube videos to work. They load, and a second or so plays,
>> then they stop. This keeps happening.
>> I've clicked every button, but as they don't say what the buttons do, I
>> don't know which is which. I think Play may be switching back to Pause, is
>> this possible? If so how do I stop it and keep it playing continuously
>> please?
>>
>> Is there something on the YouTube site that I should be looking at for
>> instructions? If so I'll print it out.
>> (These videos are from an opera site, not teenage amateur ones.)
>>
>> Thank you
>> Geopelia

> Youtube uses the macromedia flashplayer I think.
>
> Works fine on my Linux systems.

Apart from the sound going out of sync, I wouldnt call that fine....
version 9 of flashplayer (which is meant to fix that problem) is not
stable..

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>>
>> I'll try giving it a lot longer to load . I've got Dial up and it is very
>> slow.

> That is a redundant statement.
>
> dial-up IS very slow for streaming video of the size that Youtube
> delivers.
>
> They are usually 320x240 at 24 frames / second.
>
> That will work - barely - at 256kbps and at your speed (40-50kbps?) you
> won't have a hope.
>
> That is why Youtube wasn't really viable until a year or so ago when
> broadband became much more common in huge numbers.

Oh Bother!
I've no idea what my speed is. I'll have to wait till somebody produces a
reliable broadband at a reasonable price. People seem to be having problems
with it at present, and it is so expensive.

Thank you.
Geopelia