Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Defragger recommendations

Reply
Thread Tools

Defragger recommendations

 
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2006
Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
slow it down too much would be nice.

--
Ray Greene
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
Ray Greene wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
> NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
> slow it down too much would be nice.
>

Back the drive up, format it and then restore the data.

--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
Ray Greene wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
> NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
> slow it down too much would be nice.
>


You could try the full (not trial) version of Diskeeper 9.0 Home Edition
for about $9.00 if you buy this month's Australian PC User magazine?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
In message <eiof1e$160$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of
> data) NTFS drive on a file server?


Switch to an OS that implements more intelligent file-allocation algorithms.
 
Reply With Quote
 
k
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
Ray Greene wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
> NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
> slow it down too much would be nice.
>


PerfectDisk from http://www.raxco.com/ is what I swear by
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:31:52 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
>>> NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
>>> slow it down too much would be nice.
>>>

>> Back the drive up, format it and then restore the data.

>
>
>
> Please get Real..
>
> What a Utterly Stupid reply..


If files on the server are being modified much I'd be fairly certain
that a slow old machine like that wouldn't manage to defrag any faster
than the changes were occurring. On an underpowered server with 600GB
of data my suggestion is probably the most effective and quick method of
doing a "defrag".

As an aside Roger, your "mainframe" experience doesn't count for **** in
a scenario like this either.


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 19:07:07 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:31:52 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Ray Greene wrote:
>>>> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
>>>> NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
>>>> slow it down too much would be nice.
>>>>
>>> Back the drive up, format it and then restore the data.


600GB? Not bloody likely

>> Please get Real..
>>
>> What a Utterly Stupid reply..

>
>If files on the server are being modified much I'd be fairly certain
>that a slow old machine like that wouldn't manage to defrag any faster
>than the changes were occurring. On an underpowered server with 600GB
>of data my suggestion is probably the most effective and quick method of
>doing a "defrag".


The majority of the data doesn't get modified that much so it should keep up.

Your suggestion is certainly effective, I've done it in the past, but with
that much data is certainly isn't quick.

--
Ray Greene.
 
Reply With Quote
 
zipdisk@clearme.org.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:31:52 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
>> NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
>> slow it down too much would be nice.
>>

>Back the drive up, format it and then restore the data.




Please get Real..

What a Utterly Stupid reply..


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:56:09 +1300, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of data)
>> NTFS drive on a file server? It's only a PIII 800 so something that won't
>> slow it down too much would be nice.
>>

>
>You could try the full (not trial) version of Diskeeper 9.0 Home Edition
>for about $9.00 if you buy this month's Australian PC User magazine?


I'lll have to check that out, I wouldn't mind a copy for myself.

It won't solve my problem unfortunately, I had a look at the Diskeeper site
today and that version only handles volumes up to 768GB, the fileserver drive
is 850GB.

--
Ray Greene
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2006
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:52:20 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <eiof1e$160$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good background defragger for a large (~600GB of
>> data) NTFS drive on a file server?

>
>Switch to an OS that implements more intelligent file-allocation algorithms.


We have one of those but it's used as a backup to the main fileserver. I'm
the only Linux user at work so it's not really viable to use it as the main
machine when no one else there can work on it.

--
Ray Greene
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defragger (and other) Over head BP Windows 64bit 8 06-03-2009 09:22 PM
Any freeware defragger that doesn't leave blank space on the disk? Doc Computer Support 21 12-11-2007 01:28 PM
Help! Defragger nightmares! Stan A+ Certification 5 12-24-2005 03:02 AM
Recommendations for WPA hardware? Jim Wireless Networking 5 04-07-2005 09:33 AM
defragger bolshy Computer Support 8 02-28-2005 03:49 AM



Advertisments