Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Go Large Alternatives

Go Large Alternatives

David

Go Large is now performing below the old jetstart speeds (15kB/s), even
with HTTP download from local servers. What are the alternatives? Xtra
offers nothing affordable with a decent data cap. How about the
slingshot plan, 25GB for $49.95, it looks like a good deal, is anyone
using it and how does it perform?

Chris Lim

David wrote:
> Go Large is now performing below the old jetstart speeds (15kB/s), even
> with HTTP download from local servers. What are the alternatives? Xtra
> offers nothing affordable with a decent data cap. How about the
> slingshot plan, 25GB for $49.95, it looks like a good deal, is anyone
> using it and how does it perform?

I'm on that Slingshot plan and am switching to Xtra's Go Large.
Speed-wise things have been slow for the last couple of weeks, so maybe
what you're experiencing isn't ISP-related. I haven't been able to get
anything above 32KB/s with either torrents or http downloads lately.
Even torrents with thousands of seeds, which I used to get over 100KB/s
with, have been as slow as dial-up at times.

whome

news:eijbdn$g1v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go Large is now performing below the old jetstart speeds (15kB/s), even
> with HTTP download from local servers. What are the alternatives? Xtra
> offers nothing affordable with a decent data cap. How about the slingshot
> plan, 25GB for $49.95, it looks like a good deal, is anyone using it and
> how does it perform?

My understanding is that it doesn't matter which DSL service provider you
select, they all resell telecoms DSL services.

People on this group seem to have swapped to just about every ISP.

Telecoms recent DSL speed increases have been predictably exposed as a sham.
Our only hope is for the commerce commission to investigate. As usual.

Crash

whome wrote:
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eijbdn$g1v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Go Large is now performing below the old jetstart speeds (15kB/s), even
>> with HTTP download from local servers. What are the alternatives? Xtra
>> offers nothing affordable with a decent data cap. How about the slingshot
>> plan, 25GB for $49.95, it looks like a good deal, is anyone using it and
>> how does it perform?

> My understanding is that it doesn't matter which DSL service provider you
> select, they all resell telecoms DSL services.

My understanding is different. Other ISPs use Telecom infrastructure to provide
a service to you. This is certainly true for the copper cable from your house
to the exchange but also may go a little further. Your ISP provides Usenet and
email services and connectivity to 'the internet' and it is my belief that they
have a number of choices when it comes to provisioning these services.

There are a variety of reasons why many ISPs base their plans on those of Xtra -
but as I understand it they are not 'reselling' in the normal sense but simply
matching the offerings of the dominant player (Xtra, owned by Telecom).

I changed from Xtra to Orcon and got noticeably better performance.

> People on this group seem to have swapped to just about every ISP.
>
> Telecoms recent DSL speed increases have been predictably exposed as a sham.
> Our only hope is for the commerce commission to investigate. As usual.

I was on a 3.5 mb/512 kb plan and happy because my router connect speeds were at
or above the speed cap. I was changed over to Orcon's new PRO plan (max/max)
last week. At first I could get only a marginal improvement (4nnn/5nn - various
speeds over several reboots - but this went to 5200/710 when I removed what
proved to be troublesome line filters. This coming week I am getting a splitter
installed (means adsl router is directly connected and all other phone jack are
filtered - no plug-in filters needed) to see if that will further improve things.

I work from home and have noticed the substantially better upload speed.

My new plan is $20 per month cheaper than the old one because I can choose a
data cap closer to my needs.

It is, IMHO, a mistake to believe that what you see posted here fairly
represents anything. People seeing performance improvements or good service
understandably are not so motivated to post as often as those who experience
degraded performance or bad service.

Crash.

Zipper

Crash wrote:
> whome wrote:
>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eijbdn$g1v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Go Large is now performing below the old jetstart speeds (15kB/s),
>>> even with HTTP download from local servers. What are the
>>> alternatives? Xtra offers nothing affordable with a decent data cap.
>>> How about the slingshot plan, 25GB for $49.95, it looks like a good
>>> deal, is anyone using it and how does it perform?

>> My understanding is that it doesn't matter which DSL service provider
>> you select, they all resell telecoms DSL services.
>>

> My understanding is different. Other ISPs use Telecom infrastructure to
> provide a service to you. This is certainly true for the copper cable
> from your house to the exchange but also may go a little further. Your
> ISP provides Usenet and email services and connectivity to 'the
> internet' and it is my belief that they have a number of choices when it
> comes to provisioning these services.
>
> There are a variety of reasons why many ISPs base their plans on those
> of Xtra - but as I understand it they are not 'reselling' in the normal
> sense but simply matching the offerings of the dominant player (Xtra,
> owned by Telecom).
>
> I changed from Xtra to Orcon and got noticeably better performance.
>
>> People on this group seem to have swapped to just about every ISP.
>>
>> Telecoms recent DSL speed increases have been predictably exposed as a
>> sham. Our only hope is for the commerce commission to investigate. As
>> usual.

> I was on a 3.5 mb/512 kb plan and happy because my router connect speeds
> were at or above the speed cap. I was changed over to Orcon's new PRO
> plan (max/max) last week. At first I could get only a marginal
> improvement (4nnn/5nn - various speeds over several reboots - but this
> went to 5200/710 when I removed what proved to be troublesome line
> filters. This coming week I am getting a splitter installed (means adsl
> router is directly connected and all other phone jack are filtered - no
> plug-in filters needed) to see if that will further improve things.

I am would be very interested to know if that improves things please
post back when they install the splitter and what effect it has on your
connection.

The troublesome line filters, where did you get those from?

> I work from home and have noticed the substantially better upload speed.
>
> My new plan is $20 per month cheaper than the old one because I can
> choose a data cap closer to my needs.
>
> It is, IMHO, a mistake to believe that what you see posted here fairly
> represents anything. People seeing performance improvements or good
> service understandably are not so motivated to post as often as those
> who experience degraded performance or bad service.
>
> Crash.

Blue

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 16:10:40 +1300, Crash wrote:

> It is, IMHO, a mistake to believe that what you see posted here fairly
> represents anything. People seeing performance improvements or good service
> understandably are not so motivated to post as often as those who experience
> degraded performance or bad service.

Indeed. However this does not discount those who say that things are not
as they should be.

Stu Fleming

Chris Lim wrote:
> David wrote:
>> Go Large is now performing below the old jetstart speeds (15kB/s), even
>> with HTTP download from local servers. What are the alternatives? Xtra
>> offers nothing affordable with a decent data cap. How about the
>> slingshot plan, 25GB for $49.95, it looks like a good deal, is anyone
>> using it and how does it perform?

> I'm on that Slingshot plan and am switching to Xtra's Go Large.
> Speed-wise things have been slow for the last couple of weeks, so maybe
> what you're experiencing isn't ISP-related. I haven't been able to get
> anything above 32KB/s with either torrents or http downloads lately.
> Even torrents with thousands of seeds, which I used to get over 100KB/s
> with, have been as slow as dial-up at times.

This may be a side-effect of overseas ISPs starting to throttle BT
traffic rather than an NZ-specific issue. Of course, it varies
considerably, but 100-200KB/sec on our pipe is now normal rather than
the 350-500 we used to get until fairly recently. That's on
infrastructure independent of ADSL/Telecom and where "normal" downloads
are...normal, expected speeds.

MaHogany

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:07:52 +1300, Stu Fleming wrote:

> That's on
> infrastructure independent of ADSL/Telecom and where "normal" downloads
> are...normal, expected speeds.

What is a "normal" download?

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

Vista

"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eijbdn$g1v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Go Large is now performing below the old jetstart speeds (15kB/s), even
>> with HTTP download from local servers. What are the alternatives? Xtra
>> offers nothing affordable with a decent data cap. How about the slingshot
>> plan, 25GB for $49.95, it looks like a good deal, is anyone using it and
>> how does it perform?

> My understanding is that it doesn't matter which DSL service provider you
> select, they all resell telecoms DSL services.
>
> People on this group seem to have swapped to just about every ISP.
>
> Telecoms recent DSL speed increases have been predictably exposed as a
> sham. Our only hope is for the commerce commission to investigate. As
> usual.

It is largely because there has been a huge increase in the number of people
connecting to it, and not enough harware being installed to cope with the
loads. There is also a huge lack of technicans to install the hardware
(brain drain), so over time it should get better once hardware is installed
to cope with the high loads.

Earl Grey

Vista wrote:

> It is largely because there has been a huge increase in the number of people
> connecting to it, and not enough harware being installed to cope with the
> loads. There is also a huge lack of technicans to install the hardware
> (brain drain), so over time it should get better once hardware is installed
> to cope with the high loads.

There has been much less takeup than they predicted to the government.
It was completely intentional for them to oversubscribe their network
because they knew they could get away with it.

Fast alternatives to "File" and "IO" for large numbers of files ? Philip Rhoades Ruby 6 02-27-2011 09:16 AM
BGP alternatives? SP Cisco 3 09-08-2009 02:32 AM
median of large data set (from large file) friend.05@gmail.com Perl Misc 5 04-02-2009 04:06 AM
[Urgent] Is there a size limit on returning a large dataset or a large typed array from web service? Ketchup ASP .Net Web Services 1 05-25-2004 10:11 AM