Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Go Large Plan

Reply
Thread Tools

Go Large Plan

 
 
tjw131@yahoo.co.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2006
A couple of questions.
Has anyone been able to figure out the xtra usage for their connection,
mine seems to be all over the place and not at all reflexting what I am
using. With 2 teenages 4 computers going most of the time i do try to
keep a eye on the useage.
Second how accurate do you think xtra will be with the 700 mb peak
time. Say I start a linuk iso at 11.00 11.30 or one does'nt finish till
after 4pm how much will count all or nothing or just from 4pm

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2006
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Second how accurate do you think xtra will be with the 700 mb peak
> time. Say I start a linuk iso at 11.00 11.30 or one does'nt finish till
> after 4pm how much will count all or nothing or just from 4pm


I would expect them to be using a pretty accurate system (down to the
minute, most likely) to measure traffic to/from your ADSL modem. It will
only be counting traffic sent or received between 4 pm and midnight.

What happened prior to 4 pm doesn't matter. If you are 90% of the way
through a 2 GB download at 4 pm, only the portion downloaded after 4 pm
would be counted towards your 700 MB peak period limit, i.e. 200 MB
(plus a little for acknowledgements, which are tiny by comparison).

--
David Empson
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2006
In message <1hob3kf.4ngkol36bi8yN%(E-Mail Removed)>, David Empson
wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Second how accurate do you think xtra will be with the 700 mb peak
>> time. Say I start a linuk iso at 11.00 11.30 or one does'nt finish till
>> after 4pm how much will count all or nothing or just from 4pm

>
> I would expect them to be using a pretty accurate system (down to the
> minute, most likely) to measure traffic to/from your ADSL modem.


I would not describe "down to the minute" as "pretty accurate". "Down to the
second" would be more like it. That's the sort of accuracy you should be
able to take for granted these days.
 
Reply With Quote
 
MaHogany
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2006
On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 01:55:01 +1300, David Empson wrote:

> What happened prior to 4 pm doesn't matter. If you are 90% of the way
> through a 2 GB download at 4 pm, only the portion downloaded after 4 pm
> would be counted towards your 700 MB peak period limit, i.e. 200 MB
> (plus a little for acknowledgements, which are tiny by comparison).


Is that 700mb per day maximum during "peak time" (read as "when most
people are at home and would actually want to use it") and completely
unrestricted & uncapped for the rest of the day?

What happens when the 700mb cap is reached?


Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Lim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2006
MaHogany wrote:
> Is that 700mb per day maximum during "peak time" (read as "when most
> people are at home and would actually want to use it") and completely
> unrestricted & uncapped for the rest of the day?


That's how I understand it, yes.

> What happens when the 700mb cap is reached?


>From Xtra's site:


"If in a single day you use more than 700MB of data during the peak
hours of 4pm to 12am (midnight) then we'll get in touch with some
advice on how to reduce your usage. If your usage continues to be very
high, then you may become subject to our Fair Use Policy.

That means we will transfer you into the Fair Use Pool where you will
share a fixed amount of bandwidth with other users in this pool. You
will remain in the Fair Use Pool for 1 week."

However, I'm not sure whether being in the Fair Use Pool only limits
your bandwidth during peak hours only, or all hours, for the 1 week.

Chris

 
Reply With Quote
 
MaHogany
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2006
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:41:12 -0800, Chris Lim wrote:

> "If in a single day you use more than 700MB of data during the peak
> hours of 4pm to 12am (midnight) then we'll get in touch with some
> advice on how to reduce your usage. If your usage continues to be very
> high, then you may become subject to our Fair Use Policy.
>
> That means we will transfer you into the Fair Use Pool where you will
> share a fixed amount of bandwidth with other users in this pool. You
> will remain in the Fair Use Pool for 1 week."
>
> However, I'm not sure whether being in the Fair Use Pool only limits
> your bandwidth during peak hours only, or all hours, for the 1 week.


How I interpret this is that Telecom is not capable of delivering full
bandwidth to all it's customers, and so it demands that people do not use
much of what they are paying for during the times of the day when they
might actually want to use it.


Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Lim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2006
MaHogany wrote:
> How I interpret this is that Telecom is not capable of delivering full
> bandwidth to all it's customers, and so it demands that people do not use
> much of what they are paying for during the times of the day when they
> might actually want to use it.


That's pretty much a given and I would say common-knowledge by now.
However most people would find the 700MB limit during peak hours fine.
People like myself who download lots of stuff via BitTorrent can at
least get unlimited downloads outside those hours, which is better than
before (currently I pay $150 a month with Slingshot, of which $100 is
data, so switching to Xtra will save me a lots, with the slight
inconvenience of the peak hour restriction).

My biggest gripe is still speed - I can't even get close to 2mbps which
is absolutely pathetic, and it feels like Telecom are rubbing my nose
in it by advertising these 'Unleashed' speeds.

 
Reply With Quote
 
MaHogany
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2006
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:26:49 -0800, Chris Lim wrote:

> My biggest gripe is still speed - I can't even get close to 2mbps which
> is absolutely pathetic, and it feels like Telecom are rubbing my nose
> in it by advertising these 'Unleashed' speeds.


If you cannot achieve data throughput on your link sufficient to saturate
your DSL downlward connection then you are not receiving "full speed" data
transmission.


Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Lim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2006
MaHogany wrote:
> If you cannot achieve data throughput on your link sufficient to saturate
> your DSL downlward connection then you are not receiving "full speed" data
> transmission.


Except when Telecom define "full speed" as "as fast as your connection
allows". Like I said in a previous post, it's like advertising that you
can now drive as fast as you like on the motorway during rush hour.
Great, as long as you live somewhere where the motorway doesn't get
congested!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
median of large data set (from large file) friend.05@gmail.com Perl Misc 5 04-02-2009 04:06 AM
Need MSF Implementation Plan VBDotNETCoder ASP .Net 1 11-18-2004 09:28 AM
What's the prospect of MMC in Microsoft .NET plan? =?Utf-8?B?eno=?= ASP .Net 2 07-28-2004 05:44 AM
[Urgent] Is there a size limit on returning a large dataset or a large typed array from web service? Ketchup ASP .Net Web Services 1 05-25-2004 10:11 AM
Backing Up Large Files..Or A Large Amount Of Files Scott D. Weber For Unuathorized Thoughts Inc. Computer Support 1 09-19-2003 07:28 PM



Advertisments