Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Certified skills worth less?

Certified skills worth less?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

This report <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2051272,00.asp> states
that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?

The Other Guy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> This report <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2051272,00.asp> states
> that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
> overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
> be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?

My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.

Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
about *nix, I can't see why.

Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but those
idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

The Other Guy

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:14:09 +1300, The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> This report <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2051272,00.asp> states
>> that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
>> overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
>> be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?

>My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
>emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.
>
>Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
>know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
>about *nix, I can't see why.

For most organisations, *nix doesn't matter.

And the thing is, there are a lot of garage-band "IT Consultants" in
New Zealand - people that talk the talk, but really can't walk the
walk. Whilst the lack of an MCSE does not mean that someone is no good
at server management etc, having one shows a certain level of
technical ability over and above the cowboy hackers out there.

>Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but those
>idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

Ha.

Richard

The Other Guy wrote:

> My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
> emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.
>
> Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
> know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
> about *nix, I can't see why.
>
> Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but those
> idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

They have to have a certain percentage of qualified people to be able to
use some of the MS logos on promotional material, so even tho the person
may be incompotent, the qualification allows the company to land jobs
they otherwise wouldnt get

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> This report <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2051272,00.asp> states
> that IT certifications are correlating less and less with salaries--indeed,
> overall, they might now be worth less than nothing. But that survey would
> be in the US. Anybody have a feel for the NZ situation?

Cause of the change in what is needed, a tech cert is useless without
the business savvy....."they want business-articulate IT pros". These
days they recognize that IT has to support the business and has to
prioritize itself along business's priorities....or its doomed....

Also the certs are just one way to do the job....lots of so called
certified engineers I have met, can only do it the way and using that
vendors products and methods...if there is no close match to business
need tough........

Of course the tech is getting more and more complex and tech certs more
and more expensive yet becoming more and more marketing ploys....I'm
dammed if I'm paying over $1200 a day on a course to spend 1 to 2 hours
listening to how great the future products will be and how great the
company is....if it gets much worse, I will recommend to payments not to
pay all the course fee...

So tech certs are becoming less and less relevant...

regards

Thing

thingy

Richard wrote:
> The Other Guy wrote:
>
>> My personal opinion is that in NZ at least, there is still too much
>> emphasis being placed on industry qualifications, in particular MCSE.
>>
>> Many jobs advertise an MCSE as a requirement, but given every MCSE I
>> know knows less about IT than I do, and more often than not nothing
>> about *nix, I can't see why.
>>
>> Fortunately I have almost zero interest in that type of work, but
>> those idiots running the MS infrastructure cause the rest of us problems.

> They have to have a certain percentage of qualified people to be able to
> use some of the MS logos on promotional material, so even tho the person
> may be incompotent, the qualification allows the company to land jobs
> they otherwise wouldnt get

Only as consultants....we have MS people, we dont care about MS
certs...because we are a end user....

regards

Thing