Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Broadband speed thru xtra - how do I check?

Broadband speed thru xtra - how do I check?

Susan T

As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.

I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.

Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
up.

My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.

Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.

Sue

TomC

Susan T wrote:
> As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
> speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
>
> I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
>
> Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
> up.
>
> My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
>
> Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
>
> Sue

Have u exceeded ur data limit?

Cheers Tom

--
* Thankfully this message was not
scanned by AVG Free *

Fran

Susan T wrote:

> As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
> speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
>
> I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
>
> Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
> up.
>
> My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
>
> Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
>
> Sue

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest.swf

Fran

Bobs

Susan T wrote:
> As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
> speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
>
> I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
>
> Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
> up.
>
> My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
>
> Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
>
> Sue

That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
wires hooked between two potatoes.

Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.

Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.

David

Bobs wrote:
> Susan T wrote:
>> As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
>> speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
>>
>> I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
>>
>> Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
>> up.
>>
>> My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
>>
>> Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
>>
>> Sue

> That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
> wires hooked between two potatoes.
>
> Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
> speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
> 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
> 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
>
> Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.

Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)

Crash

David wrote:
> Bobs wrote:
>> Susan T wrote:
>>> As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
>>> speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
>>>
>>> I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
>>>
>>> Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
>>> up.
>>>
>>> My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
>>>
>>> Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
>>>
>>> Sue

>> That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
>> wires hooked between two potatoes.
>>
>> Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
>> speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
>> 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
>> 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
>>
>> Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.
>>

> Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
> you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
> than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)

But is that any worse than when your speed was capped?

Crash.

Apairateef

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:454d9dca$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David wrote:
>> Bobs wrote:

>>> That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
>>> wires hooked between two potatoes.
>>>
>>> Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
>>> speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
>>> 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
>>> 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
>>>
>>> Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.
>>>

>> Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
>> you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
>> than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)

> But is that any worse than when your speed was capped?

My speed has gone atrociously downhill even more so since 26 Oct.....
tonight i can't even open some websites up and even my gmail is coming up
with an ut oh message which i've never had before....the net is stalling
sooo bad that it's like i become almost disconnected.

Tonight my download is 63k and my upload is 40k..oh yay

Sarns

Fran

Apairateef wrote:

> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:454d9dca$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> David wrote:
>>> Bobs wrote:
>>> Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
>>> you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
>>> than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)

>> But is that any worse than when your speed was capped?

> My speed has gone atrociously downhill even more so since 26 Oct.....
> tonight i can't even open some websites up and even my gmail is coming up
> with an ut oh message which i've never had before....the net is stalling
> sooo bad that it's like i become almost disconnected.
>
> Tonight my download is 63k and my upload is 40k..oh yay
>
> Sarns

4.7Mb/s down
655Kb/s up
2km from the exchange
Through Orcon.

Fran

kiwinebula

"Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Susan T wrote:
> > As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
> > speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
> >
> > I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
> >
> > Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
> > up.
> >
> > My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
> >
> > Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
> >
> > Sue

> That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
> wires hooked between two potatoes.
>
> Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
> speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
> 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
> 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
>
> Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.

Yeah the commerce commission should be able to do something about this, all
isp's should be made to advertise their bandwidth/user ratio, as this is
really the most important thing to know when assessing what speed you maybe
paying for, it's just an absolutely ridiculous situation the way it is at
the moment, the consumer is left in the dark as to exactly what they are
buying when they sign up with any isp.

EMB

kiwinebula wrote:

> Yeah the commerce commission should be able to do something about this, all
> isp's should be made to advertise their bandwidth/user ratio, as this is
> really the most important thing to know when assessing what speed you maybe
> paying for, it's just an absolutely ridiculous situation the way it is at
> the moment, the consumer is left in the dark as to exactly what they are
> buying when they sign up with any isp.

Given that Telecom have total control over ADSL connections you can be
certain that the contention ratio is identical across all ISPs.

--
EMB