Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB Harddrive on Philips divx player

USB Harddrive on Philips divx player

dmbkiwi@gmail.com

I've just purchased a USB harddrive enclosure, and put a 160GB disk in
it. The drive is formatted as vfat32 with one big partition. I've
tried connecting it to my philips DVP5965K dvd/divx player, but it
comes up with a "disk not supported" message. If I connect my vfat
formatted ipod to it, it sees the ipod, and can navigate and read the
files. Both the harddrive and ipod are connected via USB. The only
difference seems to be the size of the disk. Does anyone have one of
these players, and connected a large disk to it, or know what the
problem might be?

Cheers

Matt

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed) om>,

> I've just purchased a USB harddrive enclosure, and put a 160GB disk in
> it. The drive is formatted as vfat32 with one big partition. I've
> tried connecting it to my philips DVP5965K dvd/divx player, but it
> comes up with a "disk not supported" message. If I connect my vfat
> formatted ipod to it, it sees the ipod, and can navigate and read the
> files. Both the harddrive and ipod are connected via USB. The only
> difference seems to be the size of the disk.

The obvious way to verify that would be to reformat the disk into smaller
partitions, and see if the unit will recognize any of them.

dmbkiwi@gmail.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I've just purchased a USB harddrive enclosure, and put a 160GB disk in
> > it. The drive is formatted as vfat32 with one big partition. I've
> > tried connecting it to my philips DVP5965K dvd/divx player, but it
> > comes up with a "disk not supported" message. If I connect my vfat
> > formatted ipod to it, it sees the ipod, and can navigate and read the
> > files. Both the harddrive and ipod are connected via USB. The only
> > difference seems to be the size of the disk.

> The obvious way to verify that would be to reformat the disk into smaller
> partitions, and see if the unit will recognize any of them.

Yep. I've tried that, with an 80 GB, and a 30GB (which is the same
size as the ipod HD). I'll try multiple partitions in the AM.

Jason Clinton

On 4 Nov 2006 01:44:14 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > I've just purchased a USB harddrive enclosure, and put a 160GB disk in
>> > it. The drive is formatted as vfat32 with one big partition. I've
>> > tried connecting it to my philips DVP5965K dvd/divx player, but it
>> > comes up with a "disk not supported" message. If I connect my vfat
>> > formatted ipod to it, it sees the ipod, and can navigate and read the
>> > files. Both the harddrive and ipod are connected via USB. The only
>> > difference seems to be the size of the disk.

>> The obvious way to verify that would be to reformat the disk into smaller
>> partitions, and see if the unit will recognize any of them.

>Yep. I've tried that, with an 80 GB, and a 30GB (which is the same
>size as the ipod HD). I'll try multiple partitions in the AM.

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/...upport_in_XBMC

"Not all USB flash drives, digital cameras, digital audio players, and
other USB memory devices support the 'USB Mass Storage Device Class'
standard; some instead use the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) standard,
or other proprietary protocols in lieu of this standard. (This
information is not always revealed by the published device
specifications provided by the devices manufacturer.)"

It may not be that relevant to your situation but I suspect this is
the case. You might have to get another USB hard drive enclosure which
will work with the Phillips machine.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jason Clinton
wrote:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/...upport_in_XBMC

> "Not all USB flash drives, digital cameras, digital audio players, and
> other USB memory devices support the 'USB Mass Storage Device Class'
> standard; some instead use the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) standard,
> or other proprietary protocols ...
>
> It may not be that relevant to your situation but I suspect this is
> the case. You might have to get another USB hard drive enclosure which
> will work with the Phillips machine.

That seems rather unlikely. Devices like cameras might do MTP instead of USB
Mass Storage, but a hard-drive enclosure that is supposed to be used with
any off-the-shelf hard drive, without special drivers, would not.

Jason Clinton

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:46:41 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jason Clinton
>wrote:

>http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/...upport_in_XBMC
>>
>> "Not all USB flash drives, digital cameras, digital audio players, and
>> other USB memory devices support the 'USB Mass Storage Device Class'
>> standard; some instead use the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) standard,
>> or other proprietary protocols ...
>>
>> It may not be that relevant to your situation but I suspect this is
>> the case. You might have to get another USB hard drive enclosure which
>> will work with the Phillips machine.

>That seems rather unlikely. Devices like cameras might do MTP instead of USB
>Mass Storage, but a hard-drive enclosure that is supposed to be used with
>any off-the-shelf hard drive, without special drivers, would not.

There's probably other minute differences - on my Xbox (modded) some
USB memory drives work (with the appropriate USB adapter) but plenty
of others don't. You can find lists of which devices work and which
ones don't. You would have thought that, since they all perform the
same function and work the same on my PC (plug it in and you have a
removable drive) then they should all work with the xbox but alas this
is not the case.

wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:46:41 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>Devices like cameras might do MTP instead of
>>USB Mass Storage, but a hard-drive enclosure that is supposed to be used
>>with any off-the-shelf hard drive, without special drivers, would not.

> There's probably other minute differences - on my Xbox (modded) some
> USB memory drives work (with the appropriate USB adapter) but plenty
> of others don't. You can find lists of which devices work and which
> ones don't. You would have thought that, since they all perform the
> same function and work the same on my PC (plug it in and you have a
> removable drive) then they should all work with the xbox but alas this
> is not the case.

Since they work just fine on PCs, it's only other devices (like XBoxes and
DivX players) that seem to have trouble, that tends to point the finger at
those devices, not at the drives, doesn't it?

Jason Clinton

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:07:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jason Clinton
>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:46:41 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>>Devices like cameras might do MTP instead of
>>>USB Mass Storage, but a hard-drive enclosure that is supposed to be used
>>>with any off-the-shelf hard drive, without special drivers, would not.

>> There's probably other minute differences - on my Xbox (modded) some
>> USB memory drives work (with the appropriate USB adapter) but plenty
>> of others don't. You can find lists of which devices work and which
>> ones don't. You would have thought that, since they all perform the
>> same function and work the same on my PC (plug it in and you have a
>> removable drive) then they should all work with the xbox but alas this
>> is not the case.

>Since they work just fine on PCs, it's only other devices (like XBoxes and
>DivX players) that seem to have trouble, that tends to point the finger at
>those devices, not at the drives, doesn't it?

Possibly - it could be a case that Windows isn't too stringent with
adherance to the standards and so are the USB device manfacturers -
the fact that the two work together is good enough not to improve
compliance.

It's beside the point anyway for the OP - whether its the DVD player
or the USB external drive - it's not working. Its probably easier to
try another USB external casing than it is to replace the DVD player
regardless of which device is at fault.