Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS to support Suse?....uh April fool? bt late...

MS to support Suse?....uh April fool? bt late...

thingy

http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_...hip/1162497930

times they are interesting...

regards

thing

Rob

thingy wrote:
> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_...hip/1162497930
>

> times they are interesting...
>
> regards
>
> thing

Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching to
Linux, or add Linux to their mix.

The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something similar.
--
Rob

Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...and the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor. (Wernher von Braun)

thingy

Rob wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_...hip/1162497930
>>

>> times they are interesting...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> thing

> Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
> been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
> stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
> acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
> continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching to
> Linux, or add Linux to their mix.
>
> The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something
> similar.

I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their OS
base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with their
attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be seeing the
code and working with it every day....they only have to have a breakdown
in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and their MS code is
compromised.

regards

Thing

Earl Grey

thingy wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> thingy wrote:
>>> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_...hip/1162497930
>>>

>>> times they are interesting...
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> thing

>> Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
>> been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
>> stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
>> acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
>> continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching to
>> Linux, or add Linux to their mix.
>>
>> The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something
>> similar.

> I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their OS
> base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with their
> attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be seeing the
> code and working with it every day....they only have to have a breakdown
> in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and their MS code is
> compromised.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

It's probably better to have them inside the tent ****ing out, than
outside the tent ****ing in.
Lyndon B. Johnson

thingy

Earl Grey wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Rob wrote:

>>> Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
>>> been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
>>> stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
>>> acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
>>> continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching
>>> to Linux, or add Linux to their mix.
>>>
>>> The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something
>>> similar.

>> I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their
>> OS base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with
>> their attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be
>> seeing the code and working with it every day....they only have to
>> have a breakdown in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and
>> their MS code is compromised.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

> It's probably better to have them inside the tent ****ing out, than
> outside the tent ****ing in.
> Lyndon B. Johnson

But who are they going to be ****ing out on? their own OSes?

Have you considered inside the tent ****ing in?

Remembering MS's embrace and extend?

Or how they try and mess up standards boards with "reasonable" royalties
claims etc etc....many companies have learned the hard way that doing a
deal with MS leads to disaster....

OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.

regards

Thing

Philip

thingy wrote:
> Earl Grey wrote:
>> thingy wrote:

>>> I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their
>>> OS base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with
>>> their attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be
>>> seeing the code and working with it every day....they only have to
>>> have a breakdown in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and
>>> their MS code is compromised.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing
>>>

>> It's probably better to have them inside the tent ****ing out, than
>> outside the tent ****ing in.
>> Lyndon B. Johnson

> But who are they going to be ****ing out on? their own OSes?
>
> Have you considered inside the tent ****ing in?
>
> Remembering MS's embrace and extend?
>
> Or how they try and mess up standards boards with "reasonable" royalties
> claims etc etc....many companies have learned the hard way that doing a
> deal with MS leads to disaster....
>
> OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

i think that is real issue here. MS is well aware that there's market
share in Open Source, and thexy've felt the heat from anti-monopoly
agencies in the US and abroad.

The Novell deal makes MS look good in front of the European Union,
allows MS to give way gracefully on ODF document formats, and gets it
out of the hole it dug itself into with "Open XML", and gives the
company a rights-and-licence based relationship with the enemy.

The OSS / Linux commnunity will benefit if API details emerge and are
published as part of this (the inwardness of thhe networking API would
be welcome at Samba, thank you very much) - and we may just be seeing
the crumbling of the OS edifice.

Deep thinkers at MS may well have concluded that there's less money in
the proprietary OS, with all its vulnerabilties, public odium and
hugesly expensive maintenance costs, and perhaps more in slowly moving
to being a do minan t software solutions provider offering the one-stop
business and office package represented in Office 2007 & Windows Media
Centre, and in servers where Linux is at least as influential as Windows, ,

Could Vista be the last Microsoft home and office operating system?

Philip

Earl Grey

thingy wrote:
> Earl Grey wrote:
>> thingy wrote:

>>> I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their
>>> OS base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with
>>> their attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be
>>> seeing the code and working with it every day....they only have to
>>> have a breakdown in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and
>>> their MS code is compromised.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing
>>>

>> It's probably better to have them inside the tent ****ing out, than
>> outside the tent ****ing in.
>> Lyndon B. Johnson

> But who are they going to be ****ing out on? their own OSes?
>
> Have you considered inside the tent ****ing in?
>
> Remembering MS's embrace and extend?
>
> Or how they try and mess up standards boards with "reasonable" royalties
> claims etc etc....many companies have learned the hard way that doing a
> deal with MS leads to disaster....
>
> OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Microsoft may have some large clients that don't like being told that
they shouldn't use linux and Microsoft intend to make things hard for
them if they do.
They have seen Apple's response to hackers installing Windows on Intel
Macs... Bootcamp and virtualization. Resistance is futile.
Its acknowledging the operating system agnostics among us. Anyone who
uses Google or any other site based on a linux server becomes a linux
user after all.
The GPL is an embrace and extend friendly licence.
OSS already has the likes of MS in the same camp, Apple, Sun, IBM,
Novell, Google.
None of them are going "OMG OMFG we can't use Linux, we will be pwned !!!!"

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:01:46 +1300 when I remembered Philip

>i think that is real issue here. MS is well aware that there's market
>share in Open Source, and thexy've felt the heat from anti-monopoly
>agencies in the US and abroad.

Remember the famous Microsoft u-turn in regards to the Internet (or is
that internet? There really is only one Internet, and it's use has
become ubiquitous), and they'd be fools to ignore Open Source
Software. You can call the company many things, but stupid's not
really one of them.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

steve

thingy wrote:
> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_...hip/1162497930
>
> times they are interesting...

Isn't this the version of Linux being rolled out on 10,000 desktops in
Munich?

I'd be very wary of any such "partnership" with the same company
determined to kick you out of a large account like that one.

Let's see how this goes. A genuine success? Or just one more example of
Microsoft playing dirty?

Time will tell.

Earl Grey

steve wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_...hip/1162497930
>>
>> times they are interesting...

> Isn't this the version of Linux being rolled out on 10,000 desktops in
> Munich?

No

"The final decision announced on April 14, 2005, came as a bit of a
surprise to many. The winner for this contract was not IBM but a
consortium of the two SMEs, Softcon and Gonicus. They will be deploying
not SuSE but Debian GNU/Linux, the freest of the Linux distributions. "

http://www.ssrc.org/wiki/POSA/index....are_for_Munich