Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dell Optiplex

Dell Optiplex

brazen

Anyone have any strong opinions on them?

I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
their low end 210L are hard to beat.

And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
any bad experiences with them?

cheers

gay

EMB

brazen wrote:
> Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
>
> I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
> hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
> company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
> their low end 210L are hard to beat.
>
> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
> any bad experiences with them?

Since the unreliable Dell debacle began all my clients have moved to
IBM/Lenovo machines. These have been very reliable and are comparable
with Dell for price.

--
EMB

Fred Dagg

On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

> (if you want to know a leasing
>company to *not* do business with then email me)

Tell us! Tell us!

There's a few around, actually. There's no libel issues if you say you
don't like them because xxx....

brazen

Fred Dagg wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
> > (if you want to know a leasing
> >company to *not* do business with then email me)

> Tell us! Tell us!
>
> There's a few around, actually. There's no libel issues if you say you
> don't like them because xxx....

nice coax, fred I'm not that keen on lawyers but by crikey there are
some lying, thieving bastards about.

Gay

Vista

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
>
> I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
> hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
> company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
> their low end 210L are hard to beat.
>
> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
> any bad experiences with them?
>
> cheers
>
> gay

Probably because no one is buying Dell, so no one is complaining They
haven't been selling anywhere as many these days. I wouldn't buy another
dell, there are better brands around now at better prices.

J Brockley

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
>
> I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
> hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
> company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
> their low end 210L are hard to beat.
>
> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
> any bad experiences with them?
>
> cheers
>
> gay

The only problem I've seen is the bad capacitor on the motherboard problem
which causes random lockups. This was fixed under warrenty and a believe is
a well know issue with a particular brand of cap. A significant number of
older IBMs died from this particular ailment.

wogers nemesis

On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, brazen wrote:

> Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
>
> I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
> hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
> company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
> their low end 210L are hard to beat.
>
> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
> any bad experiences with them?
>
> cheers
>
> gay

Hmmm those GX270 caps were bad, with power supplies blowing up to.
The worst part is that you knew they would fail and if you rang up Dell
they would say they wouldn't replace them until you actually experienced
startup issues. They reckoned leaking caps were OK ???!!! Oh well, what
they didn't seem to realise is that we had a four year warranty...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1162450928.337221@ftpsrv1>, Vista wrote:

> "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
>> any bad experiences with them?

> Probably because no one is buying Dell, so no one is complaining They
> haven't been selling anywhere as many these days. I wouldn't buy another
> dell, there are better brands around now at better prices.

Would you buy _any_ name brand at all? Better stick to white-box.

Donchano

On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
magnanimously proffered:

>Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
>
>I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
>hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
>company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
>their low end 210L are hard to beat.
>
>And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
>any bad experiences with them?
>
>cheers
>
>gay

Dell Dimension 9150:

Around two months old. Had sound problems to start with, but Dell
replaced the motherboard (integrated sound card) under warranty. Then,
over the weekend, my DVD/CD ROM Drive packed up. Called the 24/7
service number on Sunday and a tech arrived on Tuesday to replaced it.
Other than some minor inconvenience caused by these problems, I've
been impressed with the overall performance of the machine and the
*excellent* after sales service Dell has provided. Compare that with
the major problems I had with my last Acer PC and the crap after sales
service, I'm happy as Larry.

On the other hand, my last PC was a Gateway and, I never had to fix
anything under warranty.

Fred Dagg

On 1 Nov 2006 21:18:48 -0800, "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>> > (if you want to know a leasing
>> >company to *not* do business with then email me)

>> Tell us! Tell us!
>>
>> There's a few around, actually. There's no libel issues if you say you
>> don't like them because xxx....

>nice coax, fred I'm not that keen on lawyers but by crikey there are
>some lying, thieving bastards about.

Does the place start with F, and end with T ?