Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > useful util for new installs of windows? I think so

Reply
Thread Tools

useful util for new installs of windows? I think so

 
 
Zipper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2006
I stumbled accross this utility called nlite, maybe some of you have
heard of it, I think there are some others out there that do similar
jobs but nlite seems to have a large support base and lots of addons for it.

Anyway what is basically does is lets you preconfigure an installation
of windows 2000,xp or 2003. You just need your original Windows CD and
then you can start changing things.

Some of the things you can change..

The timezone, region settings etc so you don't have to keep selecting
NZ. You can preconfigure network settings, your windows key, the users
for the system etc etc etc. You can slipstream Service packs in and all
the latest hotfixes, you can add the latest nvidia drivers etc and xvid
codecs, people have added things like firefox and thunderbird into the
installs. Also tons of registry settings, tweaks etc.

Almost anything you can imagine can be changed, then when you run the
ISO, windows won't even ask you the questions for which you have already
configured answers, it will ask you for any that you didn't setup however.

it is great installing on a new machine and everything is there that you
need straight out of the box with the latest drivers, codecs, and all
the little things in widnows that you always have to change to suit
yourself.

Maybe old news for some but just incase some didn't know like me

google for nlite
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2006
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 07:56:16 +1300, Zipper wrote:

> I stumbled accross this utility called nlite, maybe some of you have
> heard of it, I think there are some others out there that do similar
> jobs but nlite seems to have a large support base and lots of addons for it.


Been around for several years now. Old news but thanks for pointing it out
to the newbies anyhow.

I found the problem with it is that a fair amount of software assumes you
have all the crappy extra ms software installed anyhow. In effect this
means there is actually very little you can really remove without something
useful breaking.

--

.... Brendan

#246405 +(3979)- [X]

<[BAC]Draxon|TWL> "The animals will hear!" bellowed the ear licking
penguin as the awesomely endowed midget sucked her oozing charlies and
plugged his purple middle leg into her festering ****.
<[BAC]Draxon|TWL> oops
<[BAC]Draxon|TWL> wrong window
<d|syztem> what the ****


Note: All my comments are copyright 2/11/2006 7:22:26 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Zipper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2006
Brendan wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 07:56:16 +1300, Zipper wrote:
>
>> I stumbled accross this utility called nlite, maybe some of you have
>> heard of it, I think there are some others out there that do similar
>> jobs but nlite seems to have a large support base and lots of addons for it.

>
> Been around for several years now.


Correct.
Old news but thanks for pointing it out
> to the newbies anyhow.


Old news to oldies, new news to us young people I guess

>
> I found the problem with it is that a fair amount of software assumes you
> have all the crappy extra ms software installed anyhow. In effect this
> means there is actually very little you can really remove without something
> useful breaking.
>


Yeah i was more after using it for adding things I guess, its great not
having to install the latest nvidia drivers, codecs to watch movies,
hotfixes etc. I wish someone else had posted about it earlier .
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
useful setting in device manager (may be useful to know!) jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 2 07-07-2008 04:28 PM
Autodetect new RubyGem installs jHurt Ruby 1 03-17-2008 06:06 PM
I think I will get this and I think I will get that =?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?= Digital Photography 19 03-18-2006 01:42 AM
Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again. Careers Computer Security 7 01-31-2004 07:04 AM
Think Off Brand Inks Are Just as Good in your Inkjet Printer - Think Again! John Horner Digital Photography 5 11-09-2003 09:38 PM



Advertisments