Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to calculate theoretical max download speed from upload speed (ADSL) ?

How to calculate theoretical max download speed from upload speed (ADSL) ?

GraB

I don't seem to be able to find a calculator or formula online.

Disregarding line condition and contention ratios, etc, how does one
calculate the theoretical maximum download speed as limited by your
upload speed?

Mark Robinson

GraB wrote:
> I don't seem to be able to find a calculator or formula online.
>
> Disregarding line condition and contention ratios, etc, how does one
> calculate the theoretical maximum download speed as limited by your
> upload speed?

It's not really calculable as it depends on the protocol, the configuration of
the machines at each end, how many hops in the path, how each hop is
configured, how the rate limiting is applied etc etc.

Zonky

GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eoe6k298k074h2en9ui118ci1u0rt01b52
@4ax.com:

> I don't seem to be able to find a calculator or formula online.
>
> Disregarding line condition and contention ratios, etc, how does one
> calculate the theoretical maximum download speed as limited by your

This is what you are looking for

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

GraB

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:46:59 +0000 (UTC), Zonky
<zonky@my_pants.dialup-web.net> wrote:

>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eoe6k298k074h2en9ui118ci1u0rt01b52
>@4ax.com:
>
>> I don't seem to be able to find a calculator or formula online.
>>
>> Disregarding line condition and contention ratios, etc, how does one
>> calculate the theoretical maximum download speed as limited by your

>This is what you are looking for
>
>http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

I was really trying to find how much the upload connection speed
limits the download speed, all other things being optimum. EG If I
was on a 32kbps upload it won't be able to send answering packets fast
enough to sustain a 7.6M connection. But how fast a download can it
sustain, or 128kbps upload sustain or a 512kbps upload speed?

I have my MTU set to 576. Just ran a check with TCPOptimizer which
confirms that the optimum setting is 576 as packets larger than that
are fragmented.

Mark C

GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have my MTU set to 576. Just ran a check with TCPOptimizer
> which confirms that the optimum setting is 576 as packets larger
> than that are fragmented.

That's a really stuffed MTU.
(In other words: What is fragmenting packets larger than that?)

Of course it could be *YOUR* TCP stack that is fragmenting the
packets. If you had MTU set to 576 and then you checked fragmenting,
it *would* report anything larger than 576 as fragmented.
Try setting MTU to 1500 (and possibly re-booting) and try the test
again.

Mark C

GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I don't seem to be able to find a calculator or formula online.
>
> Disregarding line condition and contention ratios, etc, how does
> one calculate the theoretical maximum download speed as limited
> by your upload speed?

This may be applicable:
news:45446fb9$0$26644$(E-Mail Removed)
http://groups.google.com/group/nz.co...b015baa41f023f