Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What the !!!!

What the !!!!

Bryan

Have I got this right.
I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB speed
(tolls with Ihug)
Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
(tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap (tolls
with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
generally has a hook in it somewhere.

EMB

Bryan wrote:

> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB speed
> (tolls with Ihug)
> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.

I think it's actually worse than that, it appears to be line rental and
tolls with ihug now.

--
EMB

Crains

Bryan wrote:
> Have I got this right.
> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
> speed (tolls with Ihug)
> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
> Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
> (tolls with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good
> to be true generally has a hook in it somewhere.

Don't think you missed anything.. Ihug is by far the worst ISP with the new
plans IMO.

Zipper

EMB wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
>> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
>> speed (tolls with Ihug)
>> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
>> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.

> I think it's actually worse than that, it appears to be line rental and
> tolls with ihug now.

Slingshot are looking pretty awesome really.
I am just waiting to hear from someone on the FS/FS plans to see how
their speeds are.

whome

"Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns986ABE9EBBD59gulfnutgmailcom@203.109.252.3 1...
> Have I got this right.
> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB speed
> (tolls with Ihug)
> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
> Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
> (tolls
> with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
> generally has a hook in it somewhere.

The job of telcos/internet providers is to obfuscate and confuse - just
check out the speech theresa made a while ago.

With internet connections you need to know the following-

Upload/download absolute speeds
Data usage Cap
Over-Cap action - throttle/charge per mb etc..
Latency
Contention ratio - how many people share the bandwidth
Traffic management/shaping policies (ie, telecoms fair use).
Quality of service - how often do you actually get full speed, and , does
the service have good up time.
Price
Additional services - newsgroups/email/fixed ip etc..
Support / Faults - how good is their support and faults resolution.

Now, how often do telcos specify all of the above?

Miguel

Bryan wrote:

> Have I got this right.
> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB speed
> (tolls with Ihug)
> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
> Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap (tolls
> with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
> generally has a hook in it somewhere.

Hate to say this.........last Friday my brother changed from his $59.95
Xtra Adventure plan (FS/FS 10 GB cap) to the new $49.95 Xtra Go Large
plan (FS/128 No Cap).

He was moved to the new plan pretty much straight away.

Two days later and he's downloaded nearly 4 GB and was getting
reasonably good speeds. Dropped to little more than dial-up speeds
during their advertised peak period (cos he forgot to set his scheduler
to limit his download speed) but apart from that no problems.

Saves himself $10 a month and has no cap.

I hope it all goes wrong for him cos I'm paying $20 a month more
with Actrix and am capped to 1 GB per day at 2MB/128

Give it a month and then I'll see how he's doing. Would hate to leave
Actrix but when I spoke to the Actrix helpdesk last week they said
Actrix didn't see the Go Large plan as feasible and weren't too worried
about it (to paraphrase)

Regards
Miguel

MaHogany

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:41:20 +1300, whome wrote:

> The job of telcos/internet providers is to obfuscate and confuse - just
> check out the speech theresa made a while ago.
>
> With internet connections you need to know the following-
>
> Upload/download absolute speeds
> Data usage Cap
> Over-Cap action - throttle/charge per mb etc..
> Latency
> Contention ratio - how many people share the bandwidth
> Traffic management/shaping policies (ie, telecoms fair use).
> Quality of service - how often do you actually get full speed, and , does
> the service have good up time.
> Price
> Additional services - newsgroups/email/fixed ip etc..
> Support / Faults - how good is their support and faults resolution.
>

> Now, how often do telcos specify all of the above?

They don't advertise the complete set of specifications.

In fact, Telecom only reluctantly admitted it's contention ratio when
questioned on TV.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

Vista

"Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Bryan wrote:
>
>> Have I got this right.
>> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
>> speed
>> (tolls with Ihug)
>> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
>> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
>> Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
>> (tolls
>> with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
>> generally has a hook in it somewhere.

> Hate to say this.........last Friday my brother changed from his $59.95
> Xtra Adventure plan (FS/FS 10 GB cap) to the new $49.95 Xtra Go Large
> plan (FS/128 No Cap).
>
> He was moved to the new plan pretty much straight away.
>
> Two days later and he's downloaded nearly 4 GB and was getting
> reasonably good speeds. Dropped to little more than dial-up speeds
> during their advertised peak period (cos he forgot to set his scheduler
> to limit his download speed) but apart from that no problems.
>
> Saves himself $10 a month and has no cap.
>
> I hope it all goes wrong for him cos I'm paying $20 a month more
> with Actrix and am capped to 1 GB per day at 2MB/128
>
> Give it a month and then I'll see how he's doing. Would hate to leave
> Actrix but when I spoke to the Actrix helpdesk last week they said
> Actrix didn't see the Go Large plan as feasible and weren't too worried
> about it (to paraphrase)
>
> Regards
> Miguel

Xtras plan is a winner, because people like the certainty of 'unlimited' or
close to it.

Andrew Lambert

Vista wrote:
> "Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> Have I got this right.
>>> I am currently with Ihug and pay $49.95 for 5 plus 10 gig cap, 3.5MB
>>> speed
>>> (tolls with Ihug)
>>> Ihug new deal for same price, full download speed and only 10 gig cap
>>> (tolls with Ihug. This plan seems a step backwards to me.
>>> Browse over to Slingshot to find for $49.95 I could get a 25 gig cap
>>> (tolls
>>> with Slingshot. What did I miss. Something that looks too good to be true
>>> generally has a hook in it somewhere.

>> Hate to say this.........last Friday my brother changed from his $59.95
>> Xtra Adventure plan (FS/FS 10 GB cap) to the new $49.95 Xtra Go Large
>> plan (FS/128 No Cap).
>>
>> He was moved to the new plan pretty much straight away.
>>
>> Two days later and he's downloaded nearly 4 GB and was getting
>> reasonably good speeds. Dropped to little more than dial-up speeds
>> during their advertised peak period (cos he forgot to set his scheduler
>> to limit his download speed) but apart from that no problems.
>>
>> Saves himself $10 a month and has no cap.
>>
>> I hope it all goes wrong for him cos I'm paying $20 a month more
>> with Actrix and am capped to 1 GB per day at 2MB/128
>>
>> Give it a month and then I'll see how he's doing. Would hate to leave
>> Actrix but when I spoke to the Actrix helpdesk last week they said
>> Actrix didn't see the Go Large plan as feasible and weren't too worried
>> about it (to paraphrase)
>>
>> Regards
>> Miguel
>>

> Xtras plan is a winner, because people like the certainty of 'unlimited' or
> close to it.

If your IP address changes, would the speed increase again? (dont they
just put ip address'es in the pool of slowness?

Can you force an IP change?