Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Good ADSL modem/router ?

Good ADSL modem/router ?

Zipper

I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half
bridge" mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.

Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).

My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.

Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..

I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
more difference?

Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?

One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Zipper

Zipper wrote:
> I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half
> bridge" mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.
>
> Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).
>
> My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
> The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
> am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
>
> Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
> line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
>
> I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
> wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
> more difference?
>
> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
> guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
>
> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
> smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
>
> Any advise is appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Sorry correction there, when I tried the dlink modem the speed went up
to 2900

whome

"Zipper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4542acde$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half bridge"
>mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.
>
> Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).
>
> My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
> The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I am
> a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
>
> Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
> line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
>
> I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
> wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
> more difference?
>
> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I guess
> is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
>
> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
> smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
>
> Any advise is appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I upgraded from a Dick smiths DSE adsl modem to a dlink adsl modem and the
speed went from 2mbps up to the specced 3.5mbps (although, only via the
jetstreamgames website, international sites are usually much slower).

Blue

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:57:39 +1300, Zipper wrote:

> My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
> The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
> am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
>
> Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
> line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
>
> I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
> wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
> more difference?

As would the time you tested them would do. What evidence do you have that
either modem was not passin all that it received?

2300 vs 2600 is equal in the real world, well nothing to write to the
newsgroup about.

Zipper

Blue wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:57:39 +1300, Zipper wrote:
>
>> My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
>> The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
>> am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
>>
>> Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
>> line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
>>
>> I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
>> wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
>> more difference?

> As would the time you tested them would do. What evidence do you have that
> either modem was not passin all that it received?
>
> 2300 vs 2600 is equal in the real world, well nothing to write to the
> newsgroup about.

2900 vs 2300 and the adsl speed pages confirmed it
Its an extra 70 Kbytes a second, quite a significant improvement really
and you didnt answer my question, i was asking if there are other modems
that are likely to do even better

Peter Huebner

In article <4542acde$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
> guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
>
> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
> smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
>
> Any advise is appreciated.
>
> Thanks

As per usual, USRobotics have a very good rep in this respect e.g. tenacity as
well as being able to negotiate the best possible connect speed. If/when my
3com ever packs up, I shall get one of those - realistically there's probably
little between them I guess since 3com bought out USR so I expect they used the
know-how they bought.

-P.

Jason Clinton

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 02:56:57 +1300, Peter Huebner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <4542acde$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
>> guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
>>
>> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
>> smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
>>
>> Any advise is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>As per usual, USRobotics have a very good rep in this respect e.g. tenacity as
>well as being able to negotiate the best possible connect speed. If/when my
>3com ever packs up, I shall get one of those - realistically there's probably
>little between them I guess since 3com bought out USR so I expect they used the
>know-how they bought.
>
>-P.

3Com purchased US Robotics almost 10 years ago (1997). I doubt there
was a lot of ADSL technology around back then

Enkidu

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <4542acde$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that
>> I guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
>>
>> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away
>> with smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..

> As per usual, USRobotics have a very good rep in this respect e.g.
> tenacity as well as being able to negotiate the best possible connect
> speed.

I tried a USR ADSL modem after having had a USR dialup modem for many
years and loving it. MY first ADSL modem was an M11 which was good if
slow. My second was a Generation I DSL504 which was rock solid. Then I
got a USR (forgot the model).

What a shock! I had to reset the USR modem two to three times a day, so
I sent it back. It was reused elsewhere and reportedly was rock solid. I
got a DSL G604T and it has been rock steady on my line.

On the face of it, there is something about my line that the USR modem
did not like. Reportedly it was fine on another line. It's unlikely that
the USR was marginal, and it is unlikely that the line is marginal since
all the other ADSL modems worked fine. It's a mystery.

Cheers,

Cliff

Jamie Kahn Genet

Zipper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half
> bridge" mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.
>
> Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).
>
> My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
> The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
> am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
>
> Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
> line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
>
> I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
> wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
> more difference?
>
> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
> guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
>
> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
> smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
>
> Any advise is appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I like my ZyXEL P660H a lot. It also comes as the P660HW which has
802.11g WiFi as well. It has worked flawlessly since installed early
this year and is not hard to configure via it's web-based UI. I couldn't
be happier with it and the other ZyXEL gear I bought.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Richard

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> I like my ZyXEL P660H a lot. It also comes as the P660HW which has
> 802.11g WiFi as well. It has worked flawlessly since installed early
> this year and is not hard to configure via it's web-based UI. I couldn't
> be happier with it and the other ZyXEL gear I bought.

I am always cautious when I simply hear "flawless" used to describe
consumer networking gear, as I have never had a router thru here which I
would come anywhere near close to calling flawless.

Have you ever had to powercycle the router to get it to resume a
connection. Have you ever lost access to the http server on the router.
Does it reconnect the PPP session when it drops promptly?