Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > vista license restrictions

vista license restrictions

Rob

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/v...ally-reported/

Don't know where they got their info, I'd much rather see it in black &
white in the eula.
--
Rob

http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but
tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive
machine, is somehow ennobled and no one dares criticize it. (Pierre Gallois)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/v...ally-reported/

> Don't know where they got their info, I'd much rather see it in black &
> white in the eula.

Which is available from the Microsoft site.

Here's another analysis:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/29/microsoft_vista_eula_analysis/>.
Some draconian restrictions on what kinds of benchmarking you're allowed to
perform; prohibitions on performing DRM-controlled functions when running
under virtualization; and confirmation of the limitations on licence
transfers.

Rob

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob wrote:
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/v...ally-reported/
>> Don't know where they got their info, I'd much rather see it in black &
>> white in the eula.

> Which is available from the Microsoft site.
>
> Here's another analysis:
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/29/microsoft_vista_eula_analysis/>.
> Some draconian restrictions on what kinds of benchmarking you're allowed to
> perform; prohibitions on performing DRM-controlled functions when running
> under virtualization; and confirmation of the limitations on licence
> transfers.

And the scary part is; 99% of users won't read the eula, and if they
did, either would not understand the implications, or not care, as the
only time they upgrade their computers is when a new version of windows
comes out. No matter how much commentators point it out, they will
ignore it until it affects them personally, like if they upgrade their
pc twice more before the next version of windows comes out.

I wonder that they haven't yet added a clause to prevent
educators/tutors etc. from discussing the eula in class, or sue an
editor or blogger for raising questions about it.

I've never been a Microsoft basher, but it is impossible for me to
retain any form of neutrality over this.

--
Rob

Considering the current sad state of our computer programs,
software development is clearly still a black art, and cannot yet be
called an engineering discipline. (Bill Clinton)