Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox vs IE7

Firefox vs IE7

Flintstone

What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
out of 5 rounds.

I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
wins hands down.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <ehrb29$p27$(E-Mail Removed)>, Flintstone wrote:

> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
> wins hands down.

Obviously you haven't been spending enough time at this site
<http://www.spreadinternetexplorer.com/> ...

Chris Lim

Flintstone wrote:
> What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
> Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
> out of 5 rounds.
>
> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
> wins hands down.

The UI in IE7 sucks. I hate the way the toolbar buttons are seemingly
randomly placed everywhere without the ability to customise them.

Tabbed browsing is okay. About the only redeeming feature.

Chris Lim

Flintstone wrote:
> What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
> Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
> out of 5 rounds.
>
> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
> wins hands down.

Oh, and another thing MS should've stolen from Firefox is the leaving
the little 'activity icon' (I dunno what it's called, the little pic
that animates when a page is loading) on the top-right of the screen as
well as on each tab.

The main problem I have with the UI is that I'm never sure where to
look for things. In some cases, it's on the tab (e.g. the Close button
and the activity icon I mentioned above). In other cases it's on the
toolbar (Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop). And in the latter case, some
toolbar buttons are on the left of the screen, others are on the right.
It just makes no sense! They need to go back to UI design school and
remember some basics I think.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Flintstone wrote:
> > What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
> > Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
> > out of 5 rounds.
> >
> > I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
> > wins hands down.

> Oh, and another thing MS should've stolen from Firefox is the leaving
> the little 'activity icon' (I dunno what it's called, the little pic
> that animates when a page is loading) on the top-right of the screen as
> well as on each tab.
>
> The main problem I have with the UI is that I'm never sure where to
> look for things. In some cases, it's on the tab (e.g. the Close button
> and the activity icon I mentioned above). In other cases it's on the
> toolbar (Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop). And in the latter case, some
> toolbar buttons are on the left of the screen, others are on the right.
> It just makes no sense! They need to go back to UI design school and
> remember some basics I think.

Personally, I think MS should've stolen features from Netcaptor - which
leaves both browsers for dead, IMO.

--
Duncan

Richard

Chris Lim wrote:
> Flintstone wrote:
>> What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
>> Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
>> out of 5 rounds.
>>
>> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
>> wins hands down.

> The UI in IE7 sucks. I hate the way the toolbar buttons are seemingly
> randomly placed everywhere without the ability to customise them.
>
> Tabbed browsing is okay. About the only redeeming feature.

I would still like something in a browser to identify which tab is
playing sound, and a method of killing that flash or whatever on its own.

Vista

"Chris Lim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Flintstone wrote:
>> What do you guys think of the new browsers - FF 2.0 and IE7.
>> Download.com had a comparison of FF and IE, and FF came out on top. 5
>> out of 5 rounds.
>>
>> I think IE7 is a big improvement on the last version, but for me, FF
>> wins hands down.

> Oh, and another thing MS should've stolen from Firefox is the leaving
> the little 'activity icon' (I dunno what it's called, the little pic
> that animates when a page is loading) on the top-right of the screen as
> well as on each tab.
>
> The main problem I have with the UI is that I'm never sure where to
> look for things. In some cases, it's on the tab (e.g. the Close button
> and the activity icon I mentioned above). In other cases it's on the
> toolbar (Back, Forward, Refresh, Stop). And in the latter case, some
> toolbar buttons are on the left of the screen, others are on the right.
> It just makes no sense! They need to go back to UI design school and
> remember some basics I think.

IE 7 seems to be a dumbed down browser. You can't even seem to move the menu
bars around like you could in version 6. The address bar is too wide and the
refresh and homepage buttons should be able to be moved around, as they are
in a terrible place.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Here's a nifty new Firefox feature: microsummaries
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/Microsummaries>. I wonder if IE7 supports that...

Chris Lim

Vista wrote:
> IE 7 seems to be a dumbed down browser.

I think that Microsoft's new approach for UI's (e.g. Vista, Office
2007). They seem to be taking away the structured menu-based approach
which has served us so well and are replacing it with context-sensitive
toolbars which are supposedly easier to use. While that may be the case
for novice users, I for one find the lack of the standard menu makes it
harder to get an overview of an application.

I have this problem with the latest version of McAfee VirusScan. You
can get to the same screen from various paths, so rather than having a
Tools->Options menu item and a tabbed dialog-box from there you get to
each screen through a series of task bars and I find it hard to get my
head around exactly where everything is.

I dunno, maybe I'm getting too old for this computer stuff....

Rob

Chris Lim wrote:
> Vista wrote:
>> IE 7 seems to be a dumbed down browser.

> I think that Microsoft's new approach for UI's (e.g. Vista, Office
> 2007). They seem to be taking away the structured menu-based approach
> which has served us so well and are replacing it with context-sensitive
> toolbars which are supposedly easier to use. While that may be the case
> for novice users, I for one find the lack of the standard menu makes it
> harder to get an overview of an application.
>
> I have this problem with the latest version of McAfee VirusScan. You
> can get to the same screen from various paths, so rather than having a
> Tools->Options menu item and a tabbed dialog-box from there you get to
> each screen through a series of task bars and I find it hard to get my
> head around exactly where everything is.
>
> I dunno, maybe I'm getting too old for this computer stuff....

Heh, me too. I really dislike vista's ui, but then I don't like xp's
ui either, always running in it classic mode.

--
Rob

http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/
Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...and the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor. (Wernher von Braun)