Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV Tuner cards

TV Tuner cards

Jack

Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
want to spend 100 - 150 ....
any thing to avoid ?

Cheers

Zipper

Jack wrote:
> Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
> want to spend 100 - 150 ....
> any thing to avoid ?
>
> Cheers

Try and get a card with a BT878 chipset it in.
They are probably the most supported cards out there.

Earl Grey

Jack wrote:
> Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
> want to spend 100 - 150 ....
> any thing to avoid ?
>
> Cheers

It depends on what you want to do with it.
If you want to run GBPVR you will probably want a Hauppauge PVR150MCE
OEM from ascent which is cheap for a card with a hardware mpeg2 encoder
If you just want to watch TV you should get a card that is supported by
Dscaler http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/about.htm because the bundled
viewing software is usually shite.

nicely toasted

"Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45405d38$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
> want to spend 100 - 150 ....
> any thing to avoid ?

If you want to record TV, I would absolutely recommend getting one of the
common cards with *hardware* MPEG2 encoder, like the Hauppauge PVR150.
You'll end up kicking yourself you get the cheap capture, only to find it
doesnt work with any of the common TV apps.

James McLaughlin

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:59:39 +1300, Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
> want to spend 100 - 150 ....
>any thing to avoid ?
>
>Cheers

I have a PCTV from Pinnacle Systems. It's okay, but I've only ever got
it to work correctly with Pinnacle's own software. This was a problem,
because Pinnacle was incredibly slow about creating a version that
would work with Win XP. I wouldn't buy one by Pinnacle again,
esepcially with Vista on the way soon.

It records in various formats, but my 700 MHz system is only really
fast enough to do MPEG1, which is a bit blocky.

James

NR

Jack wrote:
> Looking at putting a tv tuner card in my pc ( AMD 2400 1 gig ram )....
> want to spend 100 - 150 ....
> any thing to avoid ?
>
> Cheers

What operating system are you using?

Avoid USB.

Go for hardware mpeg2 encoding (like a hauppauge pvr-150)

tv tuner/PVR cards gadjo DVD Video 23 02-20-2007 07:32 PM
hat is a differnece between a lcd monitor with a tv tuner and a lcdtv and can u get free cable with a tv tuner sdsd A+ Certification 0 10-17-2005 08:16 AM
TV tuner cards Paul Kersey Computer Information 1 05-18-2005 05:42 AM
Need your advice on TV tuner cards Knowledge Seeker Computer Support 33 12-17-2004 08:26 PM
pci tv tuner cards Peter Waumsley Computer Support 4 04-27-2004 05:25 PM

Advertisments