Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Autopatcher question

Autopatcher question

GraB

So that I can advise a friend of mine with 32-bit XP who is not good
at keeping up with updates:

If you downloaded the full August Autopatcher and nothing since, would
the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
that one seperately?

If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?

iascoot

I think you will need both september and october, you can find
september at

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=496637

Phil

GraB wrote, On 22/10/06 10.43 p:
> So that I can advise a friend of mine with 32-bit XP who is not good
> at keeping up with updates:
>
> If you downloaded the full August Autopatcher and nothing since, would
> the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
> that one seperately?
>
> If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?

Wouldn't just leaving Windows' automatic update thing on be far easier?

-Phil

GraB

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:45:49 +1300, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GraB wrote, On 22/10/06 10.43 p:
>> So that I can advise a friend of mine with 32-bit XP who is not good
>> at keeping up with updates:
>>
>> If you downloaded the full August Autopatcher and nothing since, would
>> the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
>> that one seperately?
>>
>> If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?
>>

>Wouldn't just leaving Windows' automatic update thing on be far easier?

I am not an XP user myself but I believe that is a much messier way.
With the actual updater, you have the updates to re-apply, if
necessary, after a reinstall, for instance.

impossible

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:45:49 +1300, Phil <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Wouldn't just leaving Windows' automatic update thing on be far
>>easier?
>>

> I am not an XP user myself but I believe that is a much messier way.
> With the actual updater, you have the updates to re-apply, if
> necessary, after a reinstall, for instance.

I assume everyone is talking about the SoftPedia AutoPatcher, which --
it's important to note -- is NOT "the actual updater" for XP in any
offical sense of being supported/endorsed by MS. It's a free service
provided by SoftPedia, and in my experience it works fine for just the
sort of post-installation update you're talking about. But it's
definitely not a substitute for the official MS upgrade service,
either in terms of completeness, convenience, or cost-savings.

SoftPedia provides the equivalent of a complete service-pack update
you can store on your hard drive (or elsewhere), which will take you
all the way from an original XP release, past SP1 and SP2, to the most
current version (minus a month or so). That's pretty slick. Of course,
the SoftPedia download is not small -- currently, I think, 250Mb+ --
and yes, you have to either acquire the monthly updates regularly or
else download a whole new baseline product periodically. But if your
goal is to do a *nearly* complete installation of XP without having to
first expose yourself to the net, then this is a good choice.

The important caveat here, I think, is that all XP users (other than
administrators with good reasons to work differently) should have
Microsoft's own Automatic Updates service enabled as their default
configuration . This will alert you to the latest patches/updates as
they're released, which SoftPedia might not catch up to for a month or
more.

GraB

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:43:14 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So that I can advise a friend of mine with 32-bit XP who is not good
>at keeping up with updates:
>
>If you downloaded the full August Autopatcher and nothing since, would
>the October updater fill in for September's too, or do you also need
>that one seperately?
>
>If you need September's update also, where do you find a link?

How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
updaters.

Dave Taylor

GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newseirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
@4ax.com:

> How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
> one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
> on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
> updaters.

About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.

Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
too.

--
Ciao, Dave

GraB

On 24 Oct 2006 22:00:49 +1300, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newseirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
>@4ax.com:
>
>> How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
>> one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
>> on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
>> updaters.
>>

>About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.
>
>Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
>every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
>fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
>too.

I don't use XP but I have a friend who does and has had heaps of
trouble with it. He told me he was in the middle of a reinstall so I
got him to get the Autopatcher and he said it made a very noticeable
difference, with the performance and security tweaks, in addition to
the security patches.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newseirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
>@4ax.com:
>
>> How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
>> one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
>> on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
>> updaters.
>>

>About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.
>
>Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
>every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
>fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
>too.

If you get October's updater do you still need September's, or is
September's updates included in the October one?

Jerry

GraB wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2006 22:00:49 +1300, Dave Taylor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newseirj293in2bers92m41khkepq2kd0b1m4
>>@4ax.com:
>>

>>>How often do they put out a full Autopatcher? It looks like the last
>>>one was August's. As of now there hasn't been a full October one yet
>>>on any site that I have seen and there wasn't a September one, just
>>>updaters.
>>>

>>About once every 4 months has been the norm over the past 2 yrs.
>>
>>Autopatcher is great if you re-install machines, for others, about once
>>every few months. Even an old Autopatcher speeds up an install. Post SP2
>>fixes add up! Java, shockwave and the rest of the includes really help
>>too.

> If you get October's updater do you still need September's, or is
> September's updates included in the October one?

Get the full version for August, about 264MB and then the updates for
September and October, about 13MB each. You have to install them in order.