Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Paradise International Newsgroups Not Updating

Paradise International Newsgroups Not Updating

Dave

I think it's here we go again - anyone else finding international newsgroups
not updating for the Telstraclear users?
Dave

John

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:10:12 +1300, Dave wrote:

> I think it's here we go again - anyone else finding international newsgroups
> not updating for the Telstraclear users?
> Dave

Nothing coming though since the 18th on international groups - also
noticed that a number of groups I previously read no longer updated,
no postings since the last TelstraClear balls up.

I now use three other servers to read the ones that TC has stopped

Regards,
John.

Earl Grey

Dave wrote:
> I think it's here we go again - anyone else finding international newsgroups
> not updating for the Telstraclear users?
> Dave

Yup
They are trying to kill their usenet service by allowing it to degrade
to unusable
They would be better to control their upstream bandwidth use by
restricting to text groups if thats the problem
But they aren't a smart company
I would never recommend them as an isp although the cable service is
less affected by contention ratio issues than adsl.

Dave Doe

says...
> I think it's here we go again - anyone else finding international newsgroups
> not updating for the Telstraclear users?
> Dave

Yep. Some rec.aviation.* groups for starters. Last three days -
nothin'!

--
Duncan

Mark Robinson

Dave wrote:
> I think it's here we go again - anyone else finding international newsgroups
> not updating for the Telstraclear users?
> Dave

If they must use this mad system whereby they stop the feed once it goes over
quota each month, surely it would be good for their image to drop some of the
high bandwidth groups, to extend the life of the feed as a whole each month.

They really are stupid.

But I forget, this means that their customers will have to use more bandwidth
and so they'll make more money.

But duh: the customer will use less bandwidth if they don't find another nntp
server; and if they do find another server, they'll still use the same
bandwidth but Telstra will have to pay more for the traffic as they are not
caching it locally.

They really are really stupid.

This has echoes of the depeering debacle which appeared to have the same
rationale and where they have continued with this course of action even after
they have abolished the discount for local traffic.

Really really really really really ...

Earl Grey

Mark Robinson wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> I think it's here we go again - anyone else finding international newsgroups
>> not updating for the Telstraclear users?
>> Dave

> If they must use this mad system whereby they stop the feed once it goes over
> quota each month, surely it would be good for their image to drop some of the
> high bandwidth groups, to extend the life of the feed as a whole each month.
>
> They really are stupid.
>
> But I forget, this means that their customers will have to use more bandwidth
> and so they'll make more money.
>
> But duh: the customer will use less bandwidth if they don't find another nntp
> server; and if they do find another server, they'll still use the same
> bandwidth but Telstra will have to pay more for the traffic as they are not
> caching it locally.
>
> They really are really stupid.
>
> This has echoes of the depeering debacle which appeared to have the same
> rationale and where they have continued with this course of action even after
> they have abolished the discount for local traffic.
>
> Really really really really really ...

I'll use another service for international usenet, I give up.

But really
Are they so bereft of sufficiently skilled administrators that they
can't resolve an issue like this ?

Really really stupid

Tony

> They really are really stupid.
>
> This has echoes of the depeering debacle which appeared to have the same
> rationale and where they have continued with this course of action even after
> they have abolished the discount for local traffic.
>
> Really really really really really ...

Said it before, I'll say it again.. http://xnet.co.nz They have a news
server that actually works.

Mark Robinson

Tony wrote:
>> They really are really stupid.
>>
>> This has echoes of the depeering debacle which appeared to have the same
>> rationale and where they have continued with this course of action
>> even after
>> they have abolished the discount for local traffic.
>>
>> Really really really really really ...

> Said it before, I'll say it again.. http://xnet.co.nz They have a news
> server that actually works.

Nice thought, but I bet they can't offer a service over TelstraClear's network.

Now that we have the unbundling that Telstra/Clear fought so hard to obtain it
appears that what is good enough for the goose is not good enough for the gander.

Tony

> Nice thought, but I bet they can't offer a service over TelstraClear's network.
>
> Now that we have the unbundling that Telstra/Clear fought so hard to obtain it
> appears that what is good enough for the goose is not good enough for the gander.

Wholesale of TCL's cable network is a joke, that's why no one does it.
It seems they complain about Telecom's wholesale, but ask them for rates
to wholesale on their network and it is a rip off. If your a business
then it is viable, but home users it is not viable.

juicyjuice

Mark Robinson wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> I think it's here we go again - anyone else finding international
>> newsgroups not updating for the Telstraclear users?
>> Dave

> If they must use this mad system whereby they stop the feed once it
> goes over quota each month, surely it would be good for their image
> to drop some of the high bandwidth groups, to extend the life of the
> feed as a whole each month.
>
> They really are stupid.
>
> But I forget, this means that their customers will have to use more
> bandwidth and so they'll make more money.
>
> But duh: the customer will use less bandwidth if they don't find
> another nntp server; and if they do find another server, they'll
> still use the same bandwidth but Telstra will have to pay more for
> the traffic as they are not caching it locally.
>
> They really are really stupid.
>
> This has echoes of the depeering debacle which appeared to have the
> same rationale and where they have continued with this course of
> action even after they have abolished the discount for local traffic.
>
> Really really really really really ...

I doubt very much that the TC server is to blame, it seems to me that it's
their upstream feed provider that is not getting any feed from their feed.
Example; if you add a group you've never subscribed to before, and no-one
else on TC has subscribed, the TC server still get's the group from their
feed, however last few days posts are missing.. if there was a problem with
TC or they were cut off from their feed, you wouldn't get any posts usually
for a new group that isn't cached already.
NZ groups work because the feed is taken directly from the nz.* nntp host
directly.