Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > d-link status light not blinking???

d-link status light not blinking???

kiwinebula

I have a 2ndhand d-link 302g adsl modem which I just installed today, the
internet connection seems to be working fine but the status light on the
modem stays steady green instead of blinking like the manual says it should,
unfortunately there are no suggestions as to what a steady green status
light means, anybody have an idea as to what could be wrong?

whome

"kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
news:4536ed32$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 2ndhand d-link 302g adsl modem which I just installed today, the
> internet connection seems to be working fine but the status light on the
> modem stays steady green instead of blinking like the manual says it
> should,
> unfortunately there are no suggestions as to what a steady green status
> light means, anybody have an idea as to what could be wrong?

Yes, the status light on my one blinks.

I wouldn't worry if it is working.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4536ed32$(E-Mail Removed)>, kiwinebula wrote:

> I have a 2ndhand d-link 302g adsl modem which I just installed today, the
> internet connection seems to be working fine but the status light on the
> modem stays steady green instead of blinking like the manual says it
> should...

I hate lights that continuously blink when things are working as they
should, and nothing special is happening. Blinking should be reserved for
conditions that mean "something unusual is happening, I need some attention
here".

kiwinebula

"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message
> news:4536ed32$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a 2ndhand d-link 302g adsl modem which I just installed today, the
> > internet connection seems to be working fine but the status light on the
> > modem stays steady green instead of blinking like the manual says it
> > should,
> > unfortunately there are no suggestions as to what a steady green status
> > light means, anybody have an idea as to what could be wrong?
> >

> Yes, the status light on my one blinks.
>
> I wouldn't worry if it is working.

Does your modem say generation II just below the model number on the front?

Andrew Lambert

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <4536ed32$(E-Mail Removed)>, kiwinebula wrote:
>
>> I have a 2ndhand d-link 302g adsl modem which I just installed today, the
>> internet connection seems to be working fine but the status light on the
>> modem stays steady green instead of blinking like the manual says it
>> should...

> I hate lights that continuously blink when things are working as they
> should, and nothing special is happening. Blinking should be reserved for
> conditions that mean "something unusual is happening, I need some attention
> here".

i like blinking... its like "hey im doing stuff"

well only for certain things.. network activity, hard drive activity,....

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Lambert wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <4536ed32$(E-Mail Removed)>, kiwinebula wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 2ndhand d-link 302g adsl modem which I just installed today,
>>> the internet connection seems to be working fine but the status light on
>>> the modem stays steady green instead of blinking like the manual says it
>>> should...

>> I hate lights that continuously blink when things are working as they
>> should, and nothing special is happening. Blinking should be reserved for
>> conditions that mean "something unusual is happening, I need some
>> attention here".

> i like blinking... its like "hey im doing stuff"
>
> well only for certain things.. network activity, hard drive activity,....

In other words, things where the blink indicates some kind of event
happening. As opposed to D-Link routers like mine, where continual blinking
merely indicates "situation normal, yup, situation still normal, situation
continuing normal, still a normal situation, the situation is still normal,
yup you are still firmly situated in normality..."