Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Electronic program guide violates TV copyright

Electronic program guide violates TV copyright

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide producer
IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's copyright on its TV
schedule <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.

Steven Ellis

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide producer
> IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's copyright on its TV
> schedule <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.

Most TV companies consider their EPG to be part of their IP and guard
all distribution of it.

Try contacting SkyTV here in NZ and asking for an electronic copy of
their data and see the reaction.

Steve

whome

news:eh3pet$6vv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide
> producer
> IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's copyright on its
> TV
> schedule <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.

Very interesting, this will certainly be a good case to follow.

Zipper

Steven Ellis wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide producer
>> IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's copyright on its TV
>> schedule <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.

> Most TV companies consider their EPG to be part of their IP and guard
> all distribution of it.
>
> Try contacting SkyTV here in NZ and asking for an electronic copy of
> their data and see the reaction.
>
> Steve

Yeah I noticed that when stuff.co.nz first started they carried TVNZ's
programmes in their guides along with tv3 & sky etc. When nzoom
started, stuff just suddently pulled tvnz programmes. i imagine that is
because tvnz told them they werent allowed? or is stuff owned by skytv
or something?

Dave Taylor

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
news:eh3pet$6vv$(E-Mail Removed):

> Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide
> producer IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's
> copyright on its TV schedule
> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.

I don't get their angle. Wouldn't making it easier for someone to find out
what was on encourage people to watch

--
Ciao, Dave

whome

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9860D0BEAFC90daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> news:eh3pet$6vv$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide
>> producer IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's
>> copyright on its TV schedule
>> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.
>>

> I don't get their angle. Wouldn't making it easier for someone to find
> out
> what was on encourage people to watch
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave

The angle is money as usual.

Firstly, by letting others set a general precedent of making these guides
publicly available will mean in future the nine network will not be able to
sell it's own electronic guide.

Also, if the information were publicly 'trusted' then timeshifting devices
such as tivo could really catch on. And, timeshifting allows
advertisements to be skipped.

steve

Steven Ellis wrote:

> Try contacting SkyTV here in NZ and asking for an electronic copy of
> their data and see the reaction.

....and they won't let you compile your own from publicly available
sources and make that available either.

Information in formats they refuse to support will be free whatever they
say.

That is the reality, whatever the law might say.

People feel no loyalty to a company that does not support them and any
innovations they may seek to introduce.

Just more evidence that many example of IP are anti-innovation.

Steven Ellis

whome wrote:
> "Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9860D0BEAFC90daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
> > news:eh3pet$6vv$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide
> >> producer IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's
> >> copyright on its TV schedule
> >> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.
> >>

> > I don't get their angle. Wouldn't making it easier for someone to find
> > out
> > what was on encourage people to watch
> >
> > --
> > Ciao, Dave

> The angle is money as usual.
>
> Firstly, by letting others set a general precedent of making these guides
> publicly available will mean in future the nine network will not be able to
> sell it's own electronic guide.

You would be truly amazed at the sums they charge news papers and
magazines for the information. Information is money.

> Also, if the information were publicly 'trusted' then timeshifting devices
> such as tivo could really catch on. And, timeshifting allows
> advertisements to be skipped.

This is the really big one. They want their PVR products to be the only
ones you can trust. Provides a great lockin. Then they can make sure
you watch their adverts, and don't keep that movie for months on end of
a PayPerView channel.

Steve

Earl Grey

Steven Ellis wrote:
> whome wrote:
>> "Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9860D0BEAFC90daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
>>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> news:eh3pet$6vv$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> I don't get their angle. Wouldn't making it easier for someone to find
>>> out
>>> what was on encourage people to watch
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ciao, Dave

>> The angle is money as usual.
>>
>> Firstly, by letting others set a general precedent of making these guides
>> publicly available will mean in future the nine network will not be able to
>> sell it's own electronic guide.

> You would be truly amazed at the sums they charge news papers and
> magazines for the information. Information is money.

However,
Money is information

Phil

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 18/10/06 12.38 p:
> Apparently Aussie's Nine Network is suing electronic program guide producer
> IceTV on the grounds that it is violating the network's copyright on its TV
> schedule <http://techdirt.com/articles/20061016/185840.shtml>.

From TV3's website:

CAN I PUT 3'S LISTINGS ON MY WEBSITE?
3's listings are copyrighted and CANNOT be used without permission. We
can supply you with our listings for a fee of $2,000 per month.

<http://www.tv3.co.nz/FAQs/tabid/62/articleID/71/Default.aspx>

It's stupid, but it's enforceable
But it doesn't seem to stop the freetvguide

-Phil