Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS & ODF

MS & ODF

Rob

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6125699.html

<Microsoft later this month plans to release a converter that will let
Word users open documents saved in the OpenDocument format.

The plug-in for Word, set for release Oct. 23, is the first installment
of Microsoft's plan to add support for the OpenDocument, or ODF,
standard, which has gained interest from government customers.

By the end of the year, the open-source project building the converters
will move past simply opening documents and add the ability to save
documents created in Word in the ODF format, said Brian Jones, a
Microsoft Office program manager. A first prototype of this "Save to
ODF" Word add-on will also be made available later this month.

Next year, the Open XML Translator project, done primarily by
developers at French company Clever Age, intends to create converters
that can translate between Microsoft's Excel and PowerPoint and the
corresponding ODF file formats, Jones added.

The converters will not be packaged as part of the upcoming Office 2007.
Instead, Microsoft will make them available from the same Web site where
people can get add-on converters for the PDF and XPS formats, Jones said.

OpenDocument is built on XML, and Office 2007 will use Office Open XML
by default, another XML-based format.

"Even when we announced Office Open XML and people asked, 'Why didn't
you use ODF?', we were expecting that people would build a tool to
convert between them," Jones said. "We didn't know at the time that we'd
be the one sponsoring the project."

The last paragraph is hilarious. MS say they will support ODF, build
read & save as ODF tools for current (and previous?) versions of Word,
build the next version of Office in a different XML format, and express
surprise that nobody else wants to build conversion tools for the new
version.

How arrogant can you get?

--
Rob

http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/

That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What
they really hate is lousy programmers. (Larry Niven)

MaHogany

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:58:33 +1300, Rob wrote:

> The last paragraph is hilarious. MS say they will support ODF, build
> read & save as ODF tools for current (and previous?) versions of Word,
> build the next version of Office in a different XML format, and express
> surprise that nobody else wants to build conversion tools for the new
> version.
>
> How arrogant can you get?

It's M$ down to it's usual worst.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."