Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Does DVD Genie still work on newer PCs after having SP2 installed?

Does DVD Genie still work on newer PCs after having SP2 installed?

E. Scrooge

The info is for a friend in Canada.

Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region lock
that people like to use?

Thanks.

E. Scrooge

Earl Grey

E. Scrooge wrote:
> The info is for a friend in Canada.
>
> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region lock
> that people like to use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> E. Scrooge

VLC plays DVDs regardless of what the region is set to.

David

E. Scrooge wrote:
> The info is for a friend in Canada.
>
> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region lock
> that people like to use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> E. Scrooge

DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).

E. Scrooge

"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:egnca6$3la$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> The info is for a friend in Canada.
>>
>> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region
>> lock that people like to use?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).

Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
settings needed?

Thanks.

E. Scrooge

Rob

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:egnca6$3la$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> E. Scrooge wrote:
>>> The info is for a friend in Canada.
>>>
>>> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region
>>> lock that people like to use?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> E. Scrooge

>> DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).

> Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
> trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
> Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
> settings needed?
>
> Thanks.
>
> E. Scrooge

The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of
the space saving occurs.

--
Rob

http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. (Peter Steiner)

E. Scrooge

"Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:452f2ed9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> The info is for a friend in Canada.
>>
>> Any other good little free programs for freeing up the 5 times region
>> lock that people like to use?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> VLC plays DVDs regardless of what the region is set to.

Thanks for that. I've got a link to download VLC in case it's needed. I've
sent DVD Genie to her to try first.
There's some good looking Shareware stuff, but DVD Genie is still popular as
well.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45300024$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:egnca6$3la$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink (both freeware).

>> Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
>> trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
>> Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
>> settings needed?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of the
> space saving occurs.
>
> --
> Rob

Thanks, Rob. If she has to use DVD Shrind I hope it's real easy. She's
only recently found out what a pain the different regions are along with
other things.

E. Scrooge

bAZZ

In article <1160790981.497159@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45300024$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > E. Scrooge wrote:
> >> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:egnca6$3la$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Friend in Canada has DVD Shrink, she hasn't used DVD Shrink before and is
> >> trying to figure it out. She wants to make a DVD to give to someone in
> >> Sweden. I haven't used DVD Shrink. Is there much playing round of the
> >> settings needed?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> E. Scrooge

> > The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of the
> > space saving occurs.
> >
> > --
> > Rob

> Thanks, Rob. If she has to use DVD Shrind I hope it's real easy. She's
> only recently found out what a pain the different regions are along with
> other things.
>
> E. Scrooge

Howdy Scroogie

If she can use windows OK then dvd shrink should be OK for her. I use it
a lot and it is simple and easy. VLC too would be good for those
difficult things nothing else will play. Many times I've had to fall
back on it to play stuff that craps out with other players.
--

See Ya

bAZZ .. >>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you try me, you'll buy me
If you buy me, you'll use me
If you use me, you'll abuse me
If you abuse me, I'll own you.

E. Scrooge

"bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <1160790981.497159@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

>> > The main thing is to pick the right audio track. That's where most of
>> > the
>> > space saving occurs.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rob

>> Thanks, Rob. If she has to use DVD Shrind I hope it's real easy. She's
>> only recently found out what a pain the different regions are along with
>> other things.
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> Howdy Scroogie
>
> If she can use windows OK then dvd shrink should be OK for her. I use it
> a lot and it is simple and easy. VLC too would be good for those
> difficult things nothing else will play. Many times I've had to fall
> back on it to play stuff that craps out with other players.
> --
>
> See Ya
>
> bAZZ .. >>

Hi Bazz,

She made a DVDR video using DVD Shrink, but the picture was jumping round
when she played it on her Pioneer DVD player. The DVDR played fine on the
computer. At first I wondered if it was the frame rate that needed setting
up, or maybe it's just the compression options.

Thanks for the comments on the the VLC player. Her first try with DVD Genie
wasn't too good, but she might not have the brand and range of video cards
selected and the DVD player is a Cine Player whether that's similar to the
Cinemaster players is hard to say.

I'll send your advice over to over to her, thanks.

Cheers,
E. Scrooge

Craig Shore

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:32:55 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
wrote:

>She made a DVDR video using DVD Shrink, but the picture was jumping round
>when she played it on her Pioneer DVD player. The DVDR played fine on the
>computer. At first I wondered if it was the frame rate that needed setting
>up, or maybe it's just the compression options.

It's probably just her DVD player struggling to read the burnt disc. Try
slowing the burn down, that may help by eliminating the zone speed changes made
when burning it.

Also, unless you need menus etc, just do the main movie. Drop any unwanted
audio and subtitle tracks (note you may need one of the several english tracks
if there is a foreign language spoken at all in the movie, there will be
subtitles for that bit only, and you'll need to switch to it when playing it in
a DVD player because you won't have that language selection screen some discs
make you go through when you start the disc to turn it on). That will most
likely leave you with a video file that doesn't need compressing any more.