Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Internet Explorer 7.0 adoption prospects

Internet Explorer 7.0 adoption prospects

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Adam Cameron wrote:

>>> Given that 85% of users are
>>> rendering web pages in some version of IE,

>> Latest report says IE is now down to 82% - and falling.

> I dunno why IE naesayers tout these percentages around like it's some sort
> of victory.
>
> IE could lose a third of its current market and STILL have more bums on
> seats than *all the rest of the other browsers combined*.

Still, if the users switching to Firefox are the ones who are more receptive
to trying new things, buy new products--in short, spend more money--then
they become the more important part of the market. Then that large IE6
installed base consists of a lot of people who are content to keep using
what they've got, without buying anything new--in short, they become
economically invisible.

AD.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Anybody started testing their Web sites against MSIE7?

Yep about 3 sites, and I was very surprised that they all turned out
OK.

But we didn't use many CSS hacks originally to get them working in IE6.

--
Cheers
Anton

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, AD.
wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Anybody started testing their Web sites against MSIE7?

> Yep about 3 sites, and I was very surprised that they all turned out
> OK.
>
> But we didn't use many CSS hacks originally to get them working in IE6.

Never had to tell lies about absolute positions of objects to get them to
line up properly? I did.

MaHogany

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:36:58 -0400, impossible wrote:

>> But if most developers didn't accept what the broken browser did -
>> if most
>> developers coded their sites to conform to the published standards,
>> then
>> the creators of the broken browsers would be embarrased by their
>> defective
>> products, and the public would be more encouraged to seek out
>> browsers
>> that worked properly.
>>

> Calling something "broken" because it doesn't work exactly the way
> you'd like is pretty childish. If a developer can't manage the minor
> coding adjustments needed to have their pages rendered on IE, Firefox,
> and, Opera, they should find another way to earn a living.

Website developers shouldn't have to make asjustments to cope with broken
browsers - the developers of the browsers should make the adjustments so
that their browsers work in accordance with the published standards.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

MaHogany

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:57:31 -0400, impossible wrote:

>> Latest report says IE is now down to 82% - and falling.
>>

> Good reason for developers to ignore it, is that what you're saying?

No.

Ma Hogany

--
"The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
fries with that, if prompted."

impossible

"Blue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:30:16 -0400, impossible wrote:
>
>>> It's certainly getting to the point where, when users complain
>>> about
>>> problems, it's easier to say "use Firefox".

>> What problems? Or is this just one of those throw-away lines you
>> use
>> when you can't be bothered investigating the real source of the
>> trouble someone might be having?

> Psst, security holes anf their affect.

Exactly what I mean. Not a problem if the OS is kept up-to-date and if
the the system is properly secured.

impossible

"MaHogany" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:57:31 -0400, impossible wrote:
>
>>> Latest report says IE is now down to 82% - and falling.
>>>

>> Good reason for developers to ignore it, is that what you're
>> saying?

> No.

Then who cares?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, impossible wrote:

> "Blue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> What problems? Or is this just one of those throw-away lines you
>>> use
>>> when you can't be bothered investigating the real source of the
>>> trouble someone might be having?

>> Psst, security holes anf their affect.
>>

> Exactly what I mean. Not a problem if the OS is kept up-to-date and if
> the the system is properly secured.

<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34829>:

Bored of waiting for [Microsoft] to pull its paw out, spods at the
Zeroday Emergency Response Team and security vendor Determina released
unofficial patches for the flaw.

Microsoft doesn't like users applying unofficial patches and says they
are likely not to have been tested sufficiently. And it makes them look
bad.

<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34487>:

Security outfit Sunbelt says that it has seen a nasty new Zero Day
exploit which exploits a VML vulnerability in IE.

<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33027>:

Spokespeople at the software giant Microsoft have had to admit for the
third time in two months that one of the components of its super
soaraway Office software has been hit with a zero-day vulnerability.

<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32571>:

Just as Microsoft tries to fix a zero day Excel hole spotted last week,
another bug in the popular spreadsheet program has been found.

<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=31868>:

Insecurity firm, Symantec, says it has found a zero-day exploit in
Microsoft Word 2003, that could cause a spot of bother.

<http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=31226>:

IE walloped by another zero day bug

Just a few of the results from a search for "zero-day" on one news site...

impossible

"Blue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:50:20 -0400, impossible wrote:
>
>> Given that 85% of users are
>> rendering web pages in some version of IE, developers darn well
>> better
>> learn how to cope with its idiosyncracies, whether they like them
>> or
>> not.

> NO! Your are giving in to a "terrorist". Get the web pages W3C
> compliant
> and then start educating people why it does not work in IE, and show
> them
> the options.

Climb back into your bunker. It's much too dangerous out here for you.

impossible

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
message news:egnbdt$mu1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> impossible wrote:
>
>> "Blue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Psst, security holes anf their affect.
>>>

>> Exactly what I mean. Not a problem if the OS is kept up-to-date and
>> if
>> the the system is properly secured.\

<SNIP>

> <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=31226>:
>
> IE walloped by another zero day bug
>
> Just a few of the results from a search for "zero-day" on one news
> site...

Old news. All patched as of 10 October.