Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Goodbye ReiserFS?

Goodbye ReiserFS?

Lonney

I run ext3 for / and /boot

XFS for everything else. i.e. /var /usr /home

XFS is far far far better and with a few tweaks can perform as well as
ReiserFS does with small files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ary/l-fs9.html

I'm surprised to hear you say XFS doesnt have the same level of
maturity? XFS was developed by SGI, that speaks volumes in it self.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> I've been using ReiserFS heavily for some years on both my own and my
> clients' machines, so it came as a bit of a shock to read this proposal to
> move away from it
> <http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/09/27/suse-102-ditching-reiserfs-as-it-default-fs/>.
>
> One drawback mentioned with the current implementation is that it uses the
> Big Kernel Lock (BKL). This is an obsolete locking mechanism in the Linux
> kernel--obsolete because it doesn't scale to multiple CPUs, preemption and
> the like.
>
> Suggestions for alternatives seem be split between ext3 and XFS. ext3 has
> been around almost as long as ReiserFS but seems to be slower, while XFS
> seems to have more ReiserFS-like characteristics of handling lots of files,
> but perhaps not the same level of maturity.

Blue

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:01:01 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Suggestions for alternatives seem be split between ext3 and XFS. ext3 has
> been around almost as long as ReiserFS but seems to be slower, while XFS
> seems to have more ReiserFS-like characteristics of handling lots of files,
> but perhaps not the same level of maturity.

Progres, at certain points in time it seems like it is a bad move.

Let ReiserFS go, and then everyone can tweak/develop XFS. XFS will then
mature and rule okay. Time as always will be the judge.

ReiserFS has servered you well, just like many of your sex partners, and
it should be remembered in that light.

Blue

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:26:36 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> But they do take bloody ages to mount, even when dismounted cleanly.

Just like a woman

Sorry could not resist.

Goodbye "Goodbye Ruby" Robert Schaaf Ruby 7 04-18-2009 09:37 PM
Goodbye Mozilla Joe S. Firefox 11 01-31-2005 11:08 AM
Goodbye Bush, and good riddance paul MCSE 135 11-05-2004 05:59 PM
goodbye Wapi choo MCSE 4 12-20-2003 01:25 AM
goodbye Wapi choo MCSE 1 12-19-2003 08:27 PM

Advertisments