Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recommended browsers for online banking ! !

Recommended browsers for online banking ! !

GraB

Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.

I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

Vista

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>
> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

You are talking about known holes. IE only has more holes than others
because it is the most common broswer (85% used) and thus more hackers have
tried hacking it and found holes. Opera is one of the least used, thus less
hackers have hacked it, even though it may have many holes, they just
haven't yet been found. Firefox is supposed to be full of holes, including
one critical java one, and the reason why these holes have been recently
found, is becuase it has become a lot more popular. I use Opera for online
banking, because it has the most functionality, and is my favorite browser.
It is up to the banks to provide security for their websites, so I am not
really worried about how secure the brand of browser is.

wogers nemesis

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:13:33 +1300, GraB wrote:

> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>
> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

BNZ rocks with Firefox.

Philip

wogers nemesis wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:13:33 +1300, GraB wrote:
>
>> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
>> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
>> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>>
>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

> BNZ rocks with Firefox.

Sure does! I've been experimenting with Opera, and it solves some small
display issues that Firefox (running on Ubuntu Dapper) has. But Firefox
is still the main browser here. I can't run IE anyway on this Linux box
so it doesn't arise.

I guess I'm paranoid, but when I want to do online banking I do
Control-Shift-Del in Firefox to delete all personal data, close Firefox,
then start it up again, do Control-Shift-Del again in case it loaded
something I didn't know about, and then go to my banking sites. Once I'm
done with each bank, I repeat the procedure, close Firefox and restart.
This may offer the same security as waving a dead chicken over the
keyboard, but so far we have had no bad experiences with online banking.

I still worry about a Java keylogger installilng itelf (how would I
know?) and I don't want to lose java.

Life is full of insecurities...

Philip

GraB

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 01:29:24 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>wogers nemesis wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:13:33 +1300, GraB wrote:
>>
>>> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
>>> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
>>> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>>>
>>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

>> BNZ rocks with Firefox.

>Sure does! I've been experimenting with Opera, and it solves some small
>display issues that Firefox (running on Ubuntu Dapper) has. But Firefox
>is still the main browser here. I can't run IE anyway on this Linux box
>so it doesn't arise.
>
>I guess I'm paranoid, but when I want to do online banking I do
>Control-Shift-Del in Firefox to delete all personal data, close Firefox,
>then start it up again, do Control-Shift-Del again in case it loaded
>something I didn't know about, and then go to my banking sites. Once I'm
>done with each bank, I repeat the procedure, close Firefox and restart.
>This may offer the same security as waving a dead chicken over the
>keyboard, but so far we have had no bad experiences with online banking.
>
>I still worry about a Java keylogger installilng itelf (how would I
>know?) and I don't want to lose java.
>
>Life is full of insecurities...

Perhaps you could put your browser through http://www.scanit.be/bcheck
and http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

peterwn

GraB wrote:

> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
flying chairs.

IMO they should recommend that customers boot up with UBANTU or similar
to do internet banking and even send each customer a UBANTU or similar
CD.

Jack Hammond

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:48:12 +1300, "Vista" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
>> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
>> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>>
>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
>>

>You are talking about known holes. IE only has more holes than others
>because it is the most common broswer (85% used) and thus more hackers have
>tried hacking it and found holes. Opera is one of the least used, thus less
>hackers have hacked it, even though it may have many holes, they just
>haven't yet been found. Firefox is supposed to be full of holes, including
>one critical java one, and the reason why these holes have been recently
>found, is becuase it has become a lot more popular. I use Opera for online
>banking, because it has the most functionality, and is my favorite browser.
>It is up to the banks to provide security for their websites, so I am not
>really worried about how secure the brand of browser is.

Please just do not believe all that you read, as the Java one is now being reported as a Hoax..

Those Holes on IE do not affect online Banking, Holes are the way you use the computer, on the
software on it, no Firewall or Decent Virus program, KVP or KIS are the only one to use, and
Spyware program like Spy Sweeper.

SchoolTech

GraB wrote:
> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>
> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

Do you live in a cave? IE 7 is where it's at.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <452ddf11$(E-Mail Removed)>, SchoolTech wrote:

> GraB wrote:
>> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
>> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
>> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>>
>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
>>

> Do you live in a cave? IE 7 is where it's at.

Doesn't seem to offer much in the way of new features.

TomC

SchoolTech wrote:
> GraB wrote:
>> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
>> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
>> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>>
>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
>>

> Do you live in a cave? IE 7 is where it's at.

> IMO they should recommend that customers boot up with UBANTU or similar
> to do internet banking and even send each customer a UBANTU or similar
> CD.

Ha! An informed comment. If you do not have Linux
on your computer, then booting a
Live CD, Knoppix or Ubuntu is a really good idea
as this operating system boots into
memory & can not be corrupted or infected.
But it is only practical if you have an external
modem such as US Robotics, or a router.
Most winmodems are not supported.

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...load-2621.html

cheers Tom
--
* Thankfully this message was not scanned by AVG
Free *