Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recommended browsers for online banking ! !

Reply
Thread Tools

Recommended browsers for online banking ! !

 
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2006
peterwn wrote:
> GraB wrote:
>
>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

>
> Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
> flying chairs.


I doubt if that is a concern - they'd be more concerned about losing
~80% of their online banking customers. Not that many of their customers
would even know what web browser they are running.

>
> IMO they should recommend that customers boot up with UBANTU or similar
> to do internet banking and even send each customer a UBANTU or similar
> CD.
>


That's absurd (it is also Ubuntu, not Ubantu). It would totally confuse
customers, and open up a huge customer support nightmare. And I would
totally object to rebooting my systems anyway (and certainly with a CD
sent to me by a business), since they run for weeks or months between
reboots generally.

In earlier times, some businesses thought that the best way to get
online business was to require the use of a custom or proprietary
application - I'm pretty sure banking was one of these businesses, but
supermarkets definitely were. You had to use Woolworth's software to
access their online shopping. Although not an online business in those
days, Photopost had this stupid proprietary file format that required
their software to view your own photos.

Quaint, when you look back on it. Modern online activities generally fit
seamlessly into normal computer usage. Why would you want to change that?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2006
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:

> peterwn wrote:
>> GraB wrote:
>>
>>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.

>>
>> Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
>> flying chairs.

>
> I doubt if that is a concern - they'd be more concerned about losing
> ~80% of their online banking customers.


That number continues to decline, though
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061010-7949.html>.

> [An Ubuntu live CD] would totally confuse
> customers, and open up a huge customer support nightmare.


Not sure why it would be so huge, judging from the existing levels of
user-support discussions on Ubuntu forums.

> And I would
> totally object to rebooting my systems anyway (and certainly with a CD
> sent to me by a business), since they run for weeks or months between
> reboots generally.


I think most Windows PCs do reboot on a regular basis. And their users do
tend to trust their banks.

> In earlier times, some businesses thought that the best way to get
> online business was to require the use of a custom or proprietary
> application - I'm pretty sure banking was one of these businesses, but
> supermarkets definitely were. You had to use Woolworth's software to
> access their online shopping. Although not an online business in those
> days, Photopost had this stupid proprietary file format that required
> their software to view your own photos.


Yes, but Ubuntu is still Ubuntu.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2006
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> peterwn wrote:
>>> GraB wrote:
>>>
>>>> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>>>> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>>>> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>>>> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.
>>> Because if they stop recommending IE they may have a problem with
>>> flying chairs.

>> I doubt if that is a concern - they'd be more concerned about losing
>> ~80% of their online banking customers.

>
> That number continues to decline, though
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061010-7949.html>.


I thought 82% was the latest figure?

>
>> [An Ubuntu live CD] would totally confuse
>> customers, and open up a huge customer support nightmare.

>
> Not sure why it would be so huge, judging from the existing levels of
> user-support discussions on Ubuntu forums.


The average PC user may not even be able to boot from CD, or have any
way of knowing how to access the bios settings to make it so. No one in
their right mind is going to encourage people who don't know what they
are doing to change their bios settings.

And that is just the first step!

Even when booted, the customer is going to be calling the helpdesk
because they can't find the blue "E" that they used to used for internet
banking.

>
>> And I would
>> totally object to rebooting my systems anyway (and certainly with a CD
>> sent to me by a business), since they run for weeks or months between
>> reboots generally.

>
> I think most Windows PCs do reboot on a regular basis.


That will change - is starting to already. Lower power consumption,
laptops with hibernation, ADSL, media PCs are all starting to have an
effect.

And their users do
> tend to trust their banks.
>


These'll be the same banks that (IIRC) have collectively been fined $22M
by the CC?

>> In earlier times, some businesses thought that the best way to get
>> online business was to require the use of a custom or proprietary
>> application - I'm pretty sure banking was one of these businesses, but
>> supermarkets definitely were. You had to use Woolworth's software to
>> access their online shopping. Although not an online business in those
>> days, Photopost had this stupid proprietary file format that required
>> their software to view your own photos.

>
> Yes, but Ubuntu is still Ubuntu.


How would you feel if it were the other way around, and you were forced
to boot Windows to get the job done?

I can't see how forcing Linux onto people is acceptable even as a
"pie-in-the sky" idea. I find it totally abhorrent.

People should be able to make their own choice of OS, and businesses
should accommodate that. These days, the common factor is the web
browser, which has become so compelling that the OS is irrelevant.
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2006
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:13:33 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
>the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
>IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>
>I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
>sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
>on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
>including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.


After communicating my concerns to ANZ about the recommended use of IE
5.5 I received this in a reply:

Removing support for Internet Explorer 5.5 would prevent customers on
older computers, which cannot be upgraded to Internet Explorer 6, from
accessing ANZ Internet Banking.

What old computer can't be upgraded to IE 6?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jamie Kahn Genet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2006
GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just been doing some online banking (ANZ) and read some new stuff on
> the login page about new recommended browsers. These include IE 5.5,
> IE6, Safari 1.2, Firefox 1.0.
>
> I was flabbergasted that they still recommend IE, let alone v5.5. I
> sent them a message informing them about the security holes as advised
> on the Secunia website: that latest version of IE6 has 19 known holes,
> including one critical, Firefox 1.5 has 3 and Opera 9 has NIL.


Banks are nortorious for being stupid about browsers. Nothing new about
that.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online Banking scam Artiflect Computer Support 2 11-12-2004 02:37 AM
Can't Confirm Banking Transfers- Online Banking Bank of America (Firefox1.0) totsob Firefox 1 10-22-2004 10:19 PM
Firefox and online banking Hilary A Croughton Firefox 7 07-30-2004 02:00 PM
Best online banking interface? Mark. NZ Computing 22 10-04-2003 07:49 AM



Advertisments