Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mounting a networked Windows drive in Ubuntu

Mounting a networked Windows drive in Ubuntu

Earl Grey

Enkidu wrote:
> Earl Grey wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>

>>> It was developed by the Samba team as part of Samba.

>> Quite true, but it is not samba, and you don't have to install samba,
>> the server, to use the various client components to mount windows
>> shares or print to windows printers.
>> samba is not installed by default on ubuntu, you can still browse and
>> mount windows shares read only, and print to windows printer shares,
>> but you need some settings changed to mount the windows shares read
>> write.
> >

> This is hair-splitting.
>
> From an apt-get search:
> samba-common - Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Why is it hair splitting to be specific about what you need to install ?
The samba package is the server used to share files from your linux box.
It can mount windows shares without samba installed.
Its an important distinction if you want to know why you can't share
your files from a default ubuntu install.

Enkidu

Earl Grey wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Earl Grey wrote:

>>> Quite true, but it is not samba, and you don't have to install samba,
>>> the server, to use the various client components to mount windows
>>> shares or print to windows printers.
>>> samba is not installed by default on ubuntu, you can still browse and
>>> mount windows shares read only, and print to windows printer shares,
>>> but you need some settings changed to mount the windows shares read
>>> write.
>> >

>> This is hair-splitting.
>>
>> From an apt-get search:
>> samba-common - Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>>

> Why is it hair splitting to be specific about what you need to install ?

It's hair-splitting arguing over whether package A is part of Samba or
not. I agree, if you need it you need it.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4530394f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Earl Grey wrote:

> Enkidu wrote:
>> Earl Grey wrote:

>>> Quite true, but it is not samba, and you don't have to install samba,
>>> the server, to use the various client components to mount windows
>>> shares or print to windows printers.
>>> samba is not installed by default on ubuntu, you can still browse and
>>> mount windows shares read only, and print to windows printer shares,
>>> but you need some settings changed to mount the windows shares read
>>> write.
>> >

>> This is hair-splitting.
>>
>> From an apt-get search:
>> samba-common - Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff

> Why is it hair splitting to be specific about what you need to install ?
> The samba package is the server used to share files from your linux box.

No, that's just the Samba server. To quote from the description by the Samba
project itself <http://us2.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html>:

Samba is software that can be run on a platform other than Microsoft
Windows, for example, UNIX, Linux, IBM System 390, OpenVMS, and other
operating systems. Samba uses the TCP/IP protocol that is installed on
the host server. When correctly configured, it allows that host to
interact with a Microsoft Windows client or server as if it is a Windows
file and print server.

Note that "interact with a Microsoft Windows client or server" bit. And if
you look at the source download tarball <http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/>,
I think you'll find it includes both client and server programs.

Earl Grey

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <4530394f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Earl Grey wrote:

>>> This is hair-splitting.
>>>
>>> From an apt-get search:
>>> samba-common - Samba common files used by both the server and the client
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Cliff

>> Why is it hair splitting to be specific about what you need to install ?
>> The samba package is the server used to share files from your linux box.

> No, that's just the Samba server. To quote from the description by the Samba
> project itself <http://us2.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html>:
>
> Samba is software that can be run on a platform other than Microsoft
> Windows, for example, UNIX, Linux, IBM System 390, OpenVMS, and other
> operating systems. Samba uses the TCP/IP protocol that is installed on
> the host server. When correctly configured, it allows that host to
> interact with a Microsoft Windows client or server as if it is a Windows
> file and print server.
>
> Note that "interact with a Microsoft Windows client or server" bit. And if
> you look at the source download tarball <http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/>,
> I think you'll find it includes both client and server programs.

So has a linux desktop which can mount windows shares with smbfs and
print to windows printer shares got samba installed or not ?