Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mounting a networked Windows drive in Ubuntu

Mounting a networked Windows drive in Ubuntu

Philip

I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:

I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
networked drive on a Windows machine.

Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
accessed though Samba.

What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
- but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.

A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
seems not to recognise ^H

Philip

(climbing the learning curve, step by step)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Philip wrote:

> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
> networked drive on a Windows machine.

I can tell you how to do this from the command line, using something like

mount -t smbfs -o <options> //<Windows machine name>/<share name> /<path to mount point>

Let me know if you want more details.

> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV.

Dot-files are conventionally considered "hidden" files under *nix. The
ones in your home directory typically contain preference settings for
applications. Any particular reason you want to open/save sound files in
there?

Earl Grey

Philip wrote:
> I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
> stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
>
> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
> networked drive on a Windows machine.
>
> Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
> seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
> on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
> accessed though Samba.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
> appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
> on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
> - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.
>
> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
> seems not to recognise ^H
>

> Philip
>
> (climbing the learning curve, step by step)

Heres a help page that I've found really useful

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_da...o_read.2Fwrite

Earl Grey

Philip wrote:
> I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
> stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
>
> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
> networked drive on a Windows machine.
>
> Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
> seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
> on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
> accessed though Samba.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
> appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
> on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
> - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.
>
> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
> seems not to recognise ^H
>

> Philip
>
> (climbing the learning curve, step by step)

If you would like a gui tool install linneighborhood
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/net/linneighborhood

NR

Philip wrote:
> I posted this query in alt.os.linux.ubuntu but that group seems to be
> stalled, with n o new updates since last month, so I'll ask here:
>
> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
> networked drive on a Windows machine.
>
> Any pointers about how I do that? None of my reference books actually
> seems to address the issue. They tell me how to access a Win partition
> on the Linux machine, but not a Win disk on a different machine being
> accessed though Samba.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to make the drive, fprmatted as FAT3,
> appear as a resource in the "save" windows in different apps when I am
> on the Linux machine. I can easily make it show up as one of my "places"
> - but that doesn't help when it comes to saving output files.
>
> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV. Audactiy
> seems not to recognise ^H

The best way is to make a symlink to the folder, and name the symlink
to NOT be hidden.

eg

ln -s /home/phillip/.penguinTV /home/phillip/penguinTV

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Philip wrote:
>
>> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
>> networked drive on a Windows machine.

> I can tell you how to do this from the command line, using something like
>
> mount -t smbfs -o <options> //<Windows machine name>/<share name> /<path to mount point>

many thanks for that.

> Let me know if you want more details.
>
>> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
>> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
>> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV.

> Dot-files are conventionally considered "hidden" files under *nix. The
> ones in your home directory typically contain preference settings for
> applications. Any particular reason you want to open/save sound files in
> there?

PenguinTV is a plain and simple, and very effective, podcast aggregator
that places the downloaded files in its own folder.

I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets this.
But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was putting
them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder) that
opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded podcasts
and puts them in that.

The version of Juice available for Ubuntu is not up to much, and greatly
inferior to its Win counterpart. A bit like Audacity, though why this is
I cannot say.

The lateest PenguinTV (version 2.02) rocks, and is much better than the
Version 1,something in the repositories, and also taught me interesting
things about tarballs, compiling and python, so it was a winning situation.

Philip

(enjoying the feeling of finding out again after all those years of not)

Rob

Philip wrote:

> The lateest PenguinTV (version 2.02) rocks, and is much better than the
> Version 1,something in the repositories, and also taught me interesting
> things about tarballs, compiling and python, so it was a winning situation.

I've just upgraded to edgy, and penguintv2.02 is there. Thanks for
turning me on to that. I would never have known otherwise.

(729mb upgrade. sheesh)
--
Rob

http://grumpyalien.blogspot.com/

Technology happens. (Andrew Grove)

Enkidu

Philip wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Philip wrote:
>>
>>> I know I need to set up a mountpoint so I can read & write to a
>>> networked drive on a Windows machine.

>> I can tell you how to do this from the command line, using something like
>>
>> mount -t smbfs -o <options> //<Windows machine name>/<share name>
>> /<path to mount point>

> many thanks for that.
>>
>> Let me know if you want more details.
>>
>>> A related question for loading files is how to make the hidden files
>>> visible in programs like Audacity, which shows the contents of /home,
>>> but have no facility that I have found to look in .penguinTV.

>> Dot-files are conventionally considered "hidden" files under *nix. The
>> ones in your home directory typically contain preference settings for
>> applications. Any particular reason you want to open/save sound files in
>> there?

> PenguinTV is a plain and simple, and very effective, podcast aggregator
> that places the downloaded files in its own folder.
>
> I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets this.
> But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was putting
> them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder) that
> opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded podcasts
> and puts them in that.

Drop to a command line and do it from there, I guess, if you can't do it
any other way. Usually such programs have a "Preferences" option on the
menus, but I guess you've checked for that?

Cheers,

Cliff

Rob

Enkidu wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>> I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets
>> this. But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was
>> putting them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder)
>> that opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded
>> podcasts and puts them in that.
>>

> Drop to a command line and do it from there, I guess, if you can't do it
> any other way. Usually such programs have a "Preferences" option on the
> menus, but I guess you've checked for that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Nothing in the preferences.

/usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/MediaManager.py
/usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/ptvDB.py

look like the places. ptvDB.py sets the variable and MediaManager.py
checks for existence, creating it if not found.
It is editable in any text editor, but play with at your own risk.
Golden rule: backup before editing anything.
You are probably better linking per earlier post.

--

Rob wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
> > Philip wrote:
> >> I haven't yet found that part of the Penguin .conf file that sets
> >> this. But I will...It took me a few minutes to find out where it was
> >> putting them, because I had expected it to behave like Juice (Ipodder)
> >> that opens a folder in /home (or Win My Douments) called downloaded
> >> podcasts and puts them in that.
> >>

> > Drop to a command line and do it from there, I guess, if you can't do it
> > any other way. Usually such programs have a "Preferences" option on the
> > menus, but I guess you've checked for that?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Cliff

> Nothing in the preferences.
>
> /usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/MediaManager.py
> /usr/share/pycentral/penguintv/site-packages/penguintv/ptvDB.py
>
> look like the places. ptvDB.py sets the variable and MediaManager.py
> checks for existence, creating it if not found.
> It is editable in any text editor, but play with at your own risk.
> Golden rule: backup before editing anything.
> You are probably better linking per earlier post.
>
> --
> Rob

The linking fixes it without any further problems. Problems with any
other method might include future versions writing over the file you
changed.