Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > orcon plans (new ones)

orcon plans (new ones)

Zipper

So Orcon have given some hint on new plans
http://www.orcon.net.nz/content/view/225/152/

Nothing on the costings, basically saying that people on 3.5/512 will go
fullspeed (like every other ISP).

I want to know what will happen to the 256/128 "broadband" plans like
the advanced 40 that a lot of people are on. I am hoping that goes to
3.5/128 or even better 3.5/512.

The good news is that Orcon are saying that you will be able to request
to have interleaving turned off!! thats 30-40 ms less latency!! big deal
for voip and online gaming!, that will be great.

Alan

"Zipper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:452afb4d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So Orcon have given some hint on new plans
> http://www.orcon.net.nz/content/view/225/152/
>
> Nothing on the costings, basically saying that people on 3.5/512
> will go fullspeed (like every other ISP).
>
> I want to know what will happen to the 256/128 "broadband" plans
> like the advanced 40 that a lot of people are on. I am hoping that
> goes to 3.5/128 or even better 3.5/512.
>
> The good news is that Orcon are saying that you will be able to
> request to have interleaving turned off!! thats 30-40 ms less
> latency!! big deal for voip and online gaming!, that will be great.

What is (the purpose of) interleaving?

Why do they have it on by default in the first place?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

The Other Guy

Alan wrote:
> What is (the purpose of) interleaving?
>
> Why do they have it on by default in the first place?

It improves the reliability of the connection, apparently.

I shall be having it switched off, because the unreliable part of ADSL
isn't the connection, it is usually the ISP. That and I use VoIP, so
reduced latency is a good thing.

The Other Guy

Alan

"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:egevhp$fbm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:
> > What is (the purpose of) interleaving?
>>
>> Why do they have it on by default in the first place?

> It improves the reliability of the connection, apparently.
>
> I shall be having it switched off, because the unreliable part of
> ADSL isn't the connection, it is usually the ISP. That and I use
> VoIP, so reduced latency is a good thing.
>
> The Other Guy

I guess that the better quality of physical connection you have, the
less benefit of having interleaving turned on?

If so, is there any way to test the quality of a line? Is that
something that a prospective ISP could do?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

whome

"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:egevhp$fbm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:
> > What is (the purpose of) interleaving?
>>
>> Why do they have it on by default in the first place?

> It improves the reliability of the connection, apparently.
>
> I shall be having it switched off, because the unreliable part of ADSL
> isn't the connection, it is usually the ISP. That and I use VoIP, so
> reduced latency is a good thing.
>
> The Other Guy

Now, what will happen if some data is corrupted and interleaving is off?
Does the tcp error correction protocol recover?

Alan

"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:egevhp$fbm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Alan wrote:
>> > What is (the purpose of) interleaving?
>>>
>>> Why do they have it on by default in the first place?

>> It improves the reliability of the connection, apparently.
>>
>> I shall be having it switched off, because the unreliable part of
>> ADSL isn't the connection, it is usually the ISP. That and I use
>> VoIP, so reduced latency is a good thing.
>>
>> The Other Guy

> Now, what will happen if some data is corrupted and interleaving is
> off? Does the tcp error correction protocol recover?

VOIP wouldn't use TCP would it? I imagine it would use UDP for speed
/ reduced overhead and if something gets lost, then it would just
ignore and carry on (come out as a pop or whatever in the audio)?

Or do you mean for TCP connections for non VOIP applications? TCP
will always perform it error correction functions despite this
interleaving thing being on or off - I cannot see how it wouldn't, but
I stand ready to be corrected!

Alan wrote:
> "The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:egevhp$fbm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Alan wrote:
>> > What is (the purpose of) interleaving?
>>> Why do they have it on by default in the first place?

>> It improves the reliability of the connection, apparently.
>>
>> I shall be having it switched off, because the unreliable part of
>> ADSL isn't the connection, it is usually the ISP. That and I use
>> VoIP, so reduced latency is a good thing.
>>
>> The Other Guy
>>

> I guess that the better quality of physical connection you have, the
> less benefit of having interleaving turned on?

Correct.

In fact in the UK BT have interleaving off by default as they deem it
only necessary in a very small amount of cases where the line quality is
very bad. Perhaps their network is healthier than ours but more than
likely it is off here because Telecom did not want VOIP to function well.

> If so, is there any way to test the quality of a line? Is that
> something that a prospective ISP could do?

I am not sure on that, there is definitely a way of testing it though as
I have seemn people talking about measureable errors in some forums.

> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

-=rjh=-

Zipper wrote:
> So Orcon have given some hint on new plans
> http://www.orcon.net.nz/content/view/225/152/
>
> Nothing on the costings, basically saying that people on 3.5/512 will go
> fullspeed (like every other ISP).
>
> I want to know what will happen to the 256/128 "broadband" plans like
> the advanced 40 that a lot of people are on. I am hoping that goes to
> 3.5/128 or even better 3.5/512.

I think that's being a little optimistic, but you never know.

I'd be extremely happy if it went to just 512/256/40 or even 512/512/40
- at the same or similar price, of course.

I use internet *a lot* but don't see much need for full speed, prefer to
have faster speed up instead.

Zipper

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Zipper wrote:
>> So Orcon have given some hint on new plans
>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/content/view/225/152/
>>
>> Nothing on the costings, basically saying that people on 3.5/512 will
>> go fullspeed (like every other ISP).
>>
>> I want to know what will happen to the 256/128 "broadband" plans like
>> the advanced 40 that a lot of people are on. I am hoping that goes to
>> 3.5/128 or even better 3.5/512.

> I think that's being a little optimistic, but you never know.

You are probably right.

> I'd be extremely happy if it went to just 512/256/40 or even 512/512/40
> - at the same or similar price, of course.

Is it even possible for an ISP to offer xxx/256?
I don't think they can. For some reason Telecom don't seem to want to
let ISP's offer 256 up, its either 128 or fullspeed.. seems a bit strange..

> I use internet *a lot* but don't see much need for full speed, prefer to
> have faster speed up instead.

As would I, but at this stage I would settle for an improvement on the
40 gig orcon plan which these days is looking pretty ancient in terms of
speed both down and up.

We will see.... Fingers crossed..

The Other Guy

Zipper wrote:
> Is it even possible for an ISP to offer xxx/256?
> I don't think they can. For some reason Telecom don't seem to want to
> let ISP's offer 256 up, its either 128 or fullspeed.. seems a bit strange..

Nope, it is either 128k up or 512k up. No option for full speed
upstream. ADSL can't go much faster than that upstream.

The Other Guy